favorite albums of 2010

Yeah, there's probably plenty of purists out there that don't think you should ever go back and rework something. I'm not one of those so I'm interested to hear this. And as you said, if those people don't like the new you also get the old so that should pretty much satisfy most people. Unless of course they just don't like that era of your band in which case it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Sounds good, Paul. I know there would be a couple things I'd have wanted to redo/change as well.
I did kind of like the soft, hazy, dream-like aspect of the drum sound overall to compliment the album's concept, but it will be neat to hear the drums more crisp.

Sounds good, Paul. I know there would be a couple things I'd have wanted to redo/change as well.
I did kind of like the soft, hazy, dream-like aspect of the drum sound overall to compliment the album's concept, but it will be neat to hear the drums more crisp.

I think Chris did a great job keeping the vibe of the original mix with the new version. It does still feel like the same CD, only now, things are brighter, and more audible. My biggest issue with that CD from the initial mix was not the vibe, but the dead and buried drums. I think you'll like this. Email me of you'd like a copy early, and I'll get it to you to check out.

I don't feel like going back to re-read if anyone picked up the Solution.45 album with Christian Alvestam. I got it a few weeks ago and it's absolutely slamming!

My first ND disc purchase was The Knowing, as a recommendation from my friend Carol in NY way back. I'm anxious to hear this and compare the differences.

Ok, so that's 2 of us that she corrupted, because that's how I got my start with ND too. And I've never looked back since.

Of course, she could have recommended a friggin Yanni CD and I would have gone along with it. :yow:

The knowing is the only ND CD I have not listened all the way through. I can't wait for the re-release!

has anyone else heard the new single iron maiden just released? I thought is was pretty awesome! It's called El Dorado.

LOL @ Yanni.... those days were fun before all the damn drama killed everything. I'm seriously stuck on listening to the new Watain. I know black metal isn't for everyone, but it's the next logical step in their career and it's something you have to hear if you appreciate killer riffs.

so now that its been released, what do people think of the new nevermore? I've been really digging ...and the maiden spoke and the blue marble

I havent heard anything new this year aside from the new Burzum. I think its the first cd I bought since Watershed from Opeth. Nothing new has done much for me (I think I'm just getting old lol) . if I were to but one album this year, what do you fine folks suggest?

A few of my favorites so far this year in no particular order....

The Grotesquery - Tales From The Coffin Born
Revolting - The Terror Threshold
Godless Rising - Trumpet Of Triumph
Hooded Menace - Never Cross The Dead
Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
Master - The Human Machine
Cardiac Arrest - Haven For The Insane
Sigh - Scenes From Hell

Plus others.

I get to receive some of this stuff a month or 2 in advance since I am a broadcaster and a journalist.

I am really digging Misery Index - Heirs to Theivery right now. The Illuninaught, You Lose and The Spectator are my favorite tracks.

Good stuff.

Gotta say the year's been pretty disappointing so far in comparison to the last few years. I was really thinking it was gonna rule with Alcest starting the year off so great, and that album still is better than anything released last year imo. But metal has been pretty average in comparison to last year's great releases like Engram, Stabat Mater, For the Sake of No One, Seven Chalices, etc., and as far as the more original acts go, 2010 still won't really stand out until at least some of the active bands like Radiohead, Ulver, Deathspell Omega, Agalloch, etc. get their shit together. Ecailles de Lune is one of the finest albums you're going to hear out there, but it's still kinda disappointing that the album basically is the sole significant musical output of 2010.

The Foreshadowing - Oionos

And I just realized Swallow the Sun released an album late 2009 I never picked up till just now, so I'm going to call that my other top album of 2010. ;D