Favorite Doom Metal bands

Novembers Paul said:
Most doom metal blows ass now days. Give me the classics any day.

P.S. We're not a doom band.

Bah, "Within My Flesh" and "Last God" are doom songs if I ever heard em :)

But yeah you generally don't sound like doom metal at all to these ears :p

ND were a doom band now they've evolved and now transcend the boundtries of the genre.

wankerness said:
It's not really the accent that bugs me, it's the ridiculously overdone vibrato and faux-opera stylings...he reminds me of a really bad version of Peter Steele.

I'll have to check the new album out, though...as I said the previous was actually pretty good.

How's "the butterfly effect?" Someone burned that for me once and I never got around to listening to it...

Bfx has industrial elements in it. It's one of those hate or love albums.

Funny you mentioned it, Fernando's clean vocals in that album (plus Magnolia song from Sin/Pecado) proves that he can sing in a proper and perceptible english.

Novembers Paul said:
Most doom metal blows ass now days. Give me the classics any day.

P.S. We're not a doom band.

:)

you have some doom songs....

yeah, but i know what you mean.
people are always labelling everything - "this is doom, this is death, this is black, this is power, this is shit..."

but most part of the the time, they don't even know what they're saying.

the fact is; from what I've heard from your music, you have much doomy influences. and after all, that's not a bad thing ;)

actually, you're very melodic, and i like that pretty much.:p

I like taking NON-doomy influences and making them "doom", more than anything. Pink Floyd, Doors, Zeppelin...alot of that stuff is what I was influenced by when writing some of our doomier songs, I just twisted it into form and heavied it up, etc.

I think there'll always be doom-ish parts and songs evident on our albums but it's certainly not even close to being our entire focus. And I agree with Miss*Lie, it's just that people have this dire need to categorize everything. I can understand the need for it at times, but in our case, and more often than not the case with many bands nowadays, we defy categorization. We're metal, and even then we have some fairly non-metal moments as well.

So far, our new material is sizing up to be our least "doom metal" stuff to date....but that doesn't mean we're getting all happy and uppity on you, don't worry. It's still dark and depressing in it's own way, much like the last album was too.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I like taking NON-doomy influences and making them "doom", more than anything. Pink Floyd, Doors, Zeppelin...alot of that stuff is what I was influenced by when writing some of our doomier songs, I just twisted it into form and heavied it up, etc.

Good to know that one of your influences is one of the greatest bands in the world -:worship: Pink Floyd

Eternal Decadent said:
I like classic doom like Black Sabbath :worship: :headbang: , Candlemass , Trouble , Cathedral , Pentagram .

I prefer classic doom, per the above, to death doom, with the exception of Novembers Doom (Though I agree with Larry and Paul that ND are not a pure death doom band) and My Dying Bride. I like Katatonia a lot too, though I don't know how one describes them these days.

Novembers Paul said:
We'll always have doomy elements, but we can't be bound by one genre. The only time I would say we were "doom" was the first CD. And trust me on this... When you hear the new CD, Doom will be the last thing that comes to mind. ;)
Speaking of new album.....updates? info? tell us more!!!:cool:

wankerness said:
Here's my moonspell story:

I read reviews saying they were good, especially "Irreligious." So I go out and buy Irreligious without downloading any samples or anything. When the vocals enter on the first track I burst out laughing. AAAAAH PEEEE OOOOM! Man that guy's clean voice is ridiculous on that album.

Then I couldn't make it to the end cause practically all the songs were as boring as fuck. I tried to listen to it again a couple times. I sold it the next time I went to a used store.

Their last album wasn't so bad, though. But they sure aren't very good!

You're crazy... Irreligious fucking rocks! That was probably one of my 5 favorite albums from the 1990s! HERESY!!!

:)

Moonspell are also really, really good live. I saw them at House of Blues in Chicago a couple of years ago.

Edit: Word up to my Dutch buddy out there who remembered Paradise Lost. Their new album is pretty pedestrian. Ahhhh... but I still love Icon and Shades of God. =)

A few of my fav bands...

Anathema
Agalloch
Amorphis
Daylight Dies
Draconian
Esoteric
Evoken
Fall of Empyrean
Funeral
Katatonia
Monolithe
Mourning Beloveth
My Dying Bride
Officium Triste
The Prophecy
The Gathering
The 3rd and the Mortal (All)
Saturnus

And many..many more...

Sorry November Doom isn't in it....yet!!!...I only know Paul beeing the vocalist for Subterranean Masquerade...a band who makes some brilliant music imo...:)