Favourie movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miss Lie, I finally had the occasion to watch the Corpse Bride, and well, I liked the animation, but the movie; well the movie possessed a predictable and trite plot, with no character development, terrible musical numbers, and it was quite short. So, just what is it that you liked about this movie?

speed said:
Miss Lie, I finally had the occasion to watch the Corpse Bride, and well, I liked the animation, but the movie; well the movie possessed a predictable and trite plot, with no character development, terrible musical numbers, and it was quite short. So, just what is it that you liked about this movie?

heya speed!
I like the way Tim Burton presented this story through a very sensitive and delicated animation. About character development, I think it has the necessary... The movie is focused namely in Emily and Victor, and for that I think it is well developed.
About the musical numbers, I totally disagree with you...sorry...
The Piano Duet, and the music with Emily, the Worm and the Black Widow are extremely well done!
(Apart from The Corpse Bride *main* theme, wich is beautiful in my point of view.)

For this, and all the small things, like the colour of the set, the personality of each character, and the great choice for each one voices, I say that Corpse Bride is a really good movie.

Anyway, thanks for your constructive opinion speed! very kind of you :kickass:

Miss*Lie said:
heya speed!
I like the way Tim Burton presented this story through a very sensitive and delicated animation. About character development, I think it has the necessary... The movie is focused namely in Emily and Victor, and for that I think it is well developed.
About the musical numbers, I totally disagree with you...sorry...
The Piano Duet, and the music with Emily, the Worm and the Black Widow are extremely well done!
(Apart from The Corpse Bride *main* theme, wich is beautiful in my point of view.)

For this, and all the small things, like the colour of the set, the personality of each character, and the great choice for each one voices, I say that Corpse Bride is a really good movie.

Anyway, thanks for your constructive opinion speed! very kind of you :kickass:

Hey its all a matter of taste. I was just trying to understand after viewing the movie.

Miss*Lie said:
I know :p

By the way Speed, what's your favourite movie of all time?

I thought I listed it. Well its either Andrey Rublev or the Mirror, both by Tarkovsky. They both are totally burned to my memory. Now as for movie that brings me the most enjoyment, and that Ive watched the most, well, that'd be Rocky--and Rocky II I love just as much. Weird isnt it? Im left handed, I love fighting, and Slyvester Stallone was my hero growing up. How corny and pathetic is that?

speed said:
I thought I listed it. Well its either Andrey Rublev or the Mirror, both by Tarkovsky. They both are totally burned to my memory. Now as for movie that brings me the most enjoyment, and that Ive watched the most, well, that'd be Rocky--and Rocky II I love just as much. Weird isnt it? Im left handed, I love fighting, and Slyvester Stallone was my hero growing up. How corny and pathetic is that?

I'm left handed too. Join the club! :kickass:
I'm a huge fan of The Godfather(s)...:oops: But finally I bought a dvd, from e-bay,of one of my favourite movies - TWIN FALLS IDAHO!!!! Thank God I have it now, because I love it! Everybody should see it ;)

I have no idea how this will go, but how about choosing a single movie and having a message board discussion on it?

No order

A Nightmare on Elm Street
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3)
Zombie Holocaust
House of a 1000 Corpses
The Devil's Rejects
Night of the Living Dead
Clerks
Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back
Beavis and Butthead Do America
Half Baked
etc.

Recently saw Tarkovsky's autobiographical Mirror, it sends the viewer on a dreamlike, intense journey into the very heart of his fragmented memories, blending everything from newsreel clips to nature shots to societal commentary to excerpts from his father's poetry in order to capture his childhood. Very surreal, sometimes unsettling, yet strangely beautiful and moving. I need time to digest it, really.

Also watched:
Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God, which follows a group of conquerors lead by one crazed man (brilliantly played by the intense Klaus Kinski) driven to pursue his unreachable goals. The final image is classic.

Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, the greatest movie adaptation of Shakespeare ever conceived by many a mile.

Erm... never mind.

I had Tarkovsky recommended to me recently. Would you say Mirror (Zerkalo) is a good place to start, or perhaps Solaris?

Also both the other movies you watched are incredible as well. Although I love Ran more than Throne of Blood.

Personally speaking I am an Epic Fantasy fan and since not many Epic Fantasy movies have been made I have only a select favorites. I love The Lord of the Rings Trilogy simply for the fact the visuals and graphics behind the film is amazing and amount of technological genius behind the animation is purely beautifull. I also love the story behind it and as someone who was raised on books like The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit this film was defiently a family favorite.

With The Lord of the Rings mentioned I also have to mention films like Dragon Heart which is not completly "Epic" but still amazing. The storyline was one of great joy and pure hearted as well as entertaining. To say that a Dragon is cold hearted and not "evil" is rare in cinima (since most Dragon films seem to make Dragons into evil creatures of hell). It brought a diffrent appoarch and showed the misunderstanding people make based on "race" and not on individuals or not on themselves.

Other favorites worth mentioning (not all fantasy but still good)...
Willow
Harry Potter films (yes I liked them lol)
Interview with the Vampire
Shadow of a Vampire
Nosferatu
Bram Stoker's Dracula
The Breed
The Piano
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Battle Royale
Dawn of the Dead
Labyrinth
Legend
etc...

In no particular order -

The Shawshank Redemption - Although laden with religious themes, it is quite simply a great story about the paths and struggles set before you in life and the redemptive values of hope, friendship and quiet patience. I think it is profound because the man has lost everything material yet makes more out of his life by finding values in the most fundamental aspects of life. In the end the viewer has a feeling of satisfaction that everyone has got what they deserved, something that doesn't always happen in real life.

Star Trek II: THe Wrath of Khan - A film where every piece of direction, acting and casting and script is as close to perfect as possible. I found beauty in the life/death symbolism of Genesis, and the themes of war, revenge, love, regret were integrated into a story which did not involve silly space battles.

Others:
-Elephant Man
-Spartacus
-Bram Stoker's Dracula
-Waking Life

hibernal_dream said:
In no particular order -

The Shawshank Redemption - Although laden with religious themes, it is quite simply a great story about the paths and struggles set before you in life and the redemptive values of hope, friendship and quiet patience. I think it is profound because the man has lost everything material yet makes more out of his life by finding values in the most fundamental aspects of life. In the end the viewer has a feeling of satisfaction that everyone has got what they deserved, something that doesn't always happen in real life.

That last line, is to me, the reason why Shawshank is not a great movie, but merely a good, cliched one. Its called poor writing, when a writer resolves everything and every character a little too perfectly.

But thats just my own personal opinion, and I do find Shawshank to be a good entertaining movie thats actually about something more than awkwardly finding love, or thwarting Russian mobsters with kung fu and lame one-liners.

hibernal_dream said:
Star Trek II: THe Wrath of Khan - A film where every piece of direction, acting and casting and script is as close to perfect as possible. I found beauty in the life/death symbolism of Genesis, and the themes of war, revenge, love, regret were integrated into a story which did not involve silly space battles.
i vividly remember watching the re-runs of the 60s star-trek back before they made "the next generation"
but i've still gotta say the movies with Picard were a hell of a lot better than the ones with Kirk (i don't mean visually, i think a blind person would realize that the Picard movies were written a lot better)
a lot of people said "Nemisis" was a rip-off of "The Wrath of Khan" but me personally i think "Nemisis" was written better

Some of my favorite movies:

Aguirre: the Wrath of God
The Wild Bunch
Sunset Blvd
Straw Dogs
A Clockwork Orange
Pulp Fiction
Brazil
Blade Runner
Princess Mononoke
Oldboy

One of the most philosophical and awesome movies I've seen is The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. The original title was Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle, which translates to Every Man for Himself and God Against All. It's about a man who is left alone in a town square in Germany. He cannot speak except for a sentence and a word or two. He cannot hardly walk. He knows nothing about humanity. The movie is about his introduction to society and how society treats him. It's brilliant.

hibernal_dream said:
Nemesis was an abomination.
find somebody that's never seen "The Wrath of Khan", have him watch "Nemisis" before he watches "The Wrath Of Khan" and he'll prolly disagree with you because the only people that hated "Nemisis" were the people that thought "the wrath of Khan" was the greatest movie ever made and that "Nemisis" was just a lame rip-off (my personal experience of talking to people)

RookParliament said:
I have no idea how this will go, but how about choosing a single movie and having a message board discussion on it?
how about the movie "American Psycho"?
that movie was great because his evilness wasn't really a thing in and of itself, his evilness was the complete abscense of empathy/sympathy etc etc
some of the people he killed for fun, the way people kill animals and call it "hunting" and his sense of self-preservation led to him killing some of the people because their deaths were benificial to him and he didn't torture any of the people, he always treated them extra nice up until the moment he killed them

Status
Not open for further replies.