General Chat Thread: waves hello

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Welcome back, buddy! :worship:

I can so relate to what you've been going through, Wyv. Despite flu shots, I got the flu twice this year, the second time it nearly killed me. I used to be almost bulletproof when it came to colds and flus. Maybe once every few years I'd get sick. Now I'm older and battling 3 different moderate-severe (and incurable) medical conditions, leaving my defense systems battered and broken. These days I have to be very careful about avoiding sick people or even touching public doorknobs during flu season. And when I am ill, I am very ill for weeks and I generally carry lung infections for a month or two. :zombie:

Take advantage of your holiday. It's lucky you have one right when you need it...although it's gotta suck resting on a holiday when you could be playing. Been there, done that too.

NP: Jorn Lande - The Duke

We are two of a kind me and you :headbang: And Jorn owns!

Besides the flu shots I have a daily intake of 1000 mg vitamin C which also boots the inmune system but like you mentioned it's not bulletproof.

NP: Tuatha de Dannan - 'Bella Natura'

I hardly EVER get sick, and your cough/headache thing sounds like what I just am getting over. HORRIBLE chest congestion, packed sinus, and all day headaches......The coughing is just now leveling off going into the 3rd week.
At least it's not bird flu, I hope........

J-Dubya

J-Dubya 777 said:
At least it's not bird flu, I hope........

J-Dubya

Check for feathers under the armpit, another symptom may be that you need desperetely to sing 'If I Could Fly' and sound like a canary :loco:

Jokes beside it will be a matter of time until that damn illness cross the Atlantic :ill:

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I hope it takes it's time crossing the Atlantic. Once it does, I'm doomed because I catch any disease that comes within a mile of me. :ill:

NP: Rage - Unity

Well living in AZ which is very dry I hope that precludes those diseases to spread as well as in more humid and cold places. In ancyase some shots, a good diet and keeping good healthy habits will help to prevent any infection.

Just in case stay away from poultry :err:

Bryant said:
I have a Takamine EF350MC. I absolutely love it. You have a great looking axe. I prefer the full body, as full body = fuller sound, but I know taks and I know it sounds really good unplugged and amazing "plugged in." You couldn't buy better electronics than stock Tak pickups and EQ etc.

Bryant

Yeah, I agree on the full body part, my friend has a "Santa Fe", and since picking up that mo'fo the Washburn just didn't cut it anymore. The G-Series is still a far cry from the Santa Fe but it's one step closer and the whole action is just so much better. I'm think another colour would have been better though, this glossy black is printmagnet, it looks dirty all the time.

@ Wyv, I get flu once a year, gauranteed. As soon as the Winter starts, shots or not, the snot will flow. So don't feel alone bro, at least my sick leave never went to waste:)

zeppelin said:
Yeah, I agree on the full body part, my friend has a "Santa Fe", and since picking up that mo'fo the Washburn just didn't cut it anymore. The G-Series is still a far cry from the Santa Fe but it's one step closer and the whole action is just so much better. I'm think another colour would have been better though, this glossy black is printmagnet, it looks dirty all the time.

@ Wyv, I get flu once a year, gauranteed. As soon as the Winter starts, shots or not, the snot will flow. So don't feel alone bro, at least my sick leave never went to waste:)

Well you have a nice axe, but the Santa Fe' (no offense to it as it is a lovely guitar) has a lot of frills that really only affect it's looks. You have a fine guitar. I do agree about the black though. My Vandenberg (electric) is black and though it hides it better than a flat topped acoustic, it still never looks "clean."
As far as the body style, acoustic guitar companies should never label their big bodied guitars as "jumbo westerns" as it makes uninformed rock guitarists feel like they are buying a "country" guitar. Those big bodies monsters don't look or feel great hanging around the neck, but the sound coming out of those things are monstrous.

On a side note...... sorry I didn't send my sympathy to you Brother Vern. Glad you are better. Though I have been posting, it's been quite spotty. I am house hunting.

Bryant

I'm finally back since Deron fixed my password up for me. Cripes! I was going through some serious withdrawls. :erk: It sucks to be able to read but not be able to post!

Wheezer said:
I'm finally back since Deron fixed my password up for me. Cripes! I was going through some serious withdrawls. :erk: It sucks to be able to read but not be able to post!
About a year ago I had something similar happen. I couldn't log in. It would take me to an error screen telling me there was a technical problem...blah, blah, blah. I could read the forums while not logged in, and see that there were new posts, so it was not a forum wide issue. After about a week, and many, many emails, it was fixed. I even tried to register under a new user name from a different email addy...didn't work. I was 'locked out', so to speak, for about a week.:erk:

TheWhisper said:
About a year ago I had something similar happen. I couldn't log in. It would take me to an error screen telling me there was a technical problem...blah, blah, blah. I could read the forums while not logged in, and see that there were new posts, so it was not a forum wide issue. After about a week, and many, many emails, it was fixed. I even tried to register under a new user name from a different email addy...didn't work. I was 'locked out', so to speak, for about a week.:erk:

That's almost exactly what happened with me -- including trying to get another account under a different addy. Deron fixed me up real quick though. Thanks Deron! :headbang:

Wheezer said:

Yo roomie WB :headbang: ;)

Careful with the password it's the key to this paradise :p

NP: Freedom Call - 'Kingdom Come'

So, an update on the new job thingie.

They're waiting for some venture capital to come in before they can offer the job officially. They had me come in for lunch last Friday. Turns out the big wigs couldn't go so I went with five of the employees. Through general BSing I find out one of the dudes went to school with Dimebag and his locker was just a couple away from his. How funny is that? And he's into Old School Metal. Needless to say, I'm really hoping the money train makes a big stop at their joint.

Wheezer said:
So, an update on the new job thingie.

They're waiting for some venture capital to come in before they can offer the job officially. They had me come in for lunch last Friday. Turns out the big wigs couldn't go so I went with five of the employees. Through general BSing I find out one of the dudes went to school with Dimebag and his locker was just a couple away from his. How funny is that? And he's into Old School Metal. Needless to say, I'm really hoping the money train makes a big stop at their joint.

That's super cool. I hope you get on with that company. You could be a real "big wig" if the company takes off since it has so few employees. Things look pretty good for you. It's also cool there are other metalheads around. The people I work with are cool and tolerate my music, but none of them are metal-heads. One black guy I work with absolutely loves The Goo Goo Dolls though as strange as that sounds.
I have to stck to my blue collar stuff. I am a "Real" blue collar guy considering my work uniform is blue and my shirt has a collar, blue of course. :loco: I couldn't be happier though. I wouldn't change my career for $10,000 more a year. My job challenges the pure essence of problem solving.
I also apologize to everyone for being rather spotty in my posting (and to you Wheez for not making the disc I promised yet.) I am house hunting. Man talk about grueling work !! My wants/needs are extremely particular and peculiar so it is tough !!

Bryant

I wouldn't change my career for $10,000 more a year.
You would NOT change for $10K more a year?!? 10K is 10K and at an average wage increase of 6% it could take years to reach at a current employer. But when you're happy u r happy

I am house hunting. Man talk about grueling work !! My wants/needs are extremely particular and peculiar so it is tough !!
What are your requirements? just curious as we had ours when we were looking and couldn't find all in one home. But for the next home will defo require all of my home needs to be met

kittybeast said:
You would NOT change for $10K more a year?!? 10K is 10K and at an average wage increase of 6% it could take years to reach at a current employer. But when you're happy u r happy

Right now I'm gladly change for $10000 a year...providing I have to do the same work or less :lol:

P.S $10000 gross or net?

Either, in my case. I'm making half what I did in 2001, and I'll be lucky if I'm here 21 months and get my 35 cent/hr raise. Kinda pisses me off, I'm the first genereation of an IT dinosaur......

J-Dubya

Bryant said:
That's super cool. I hope you get on with that company. You could be a real "big wig" if the company takes off since it has so few employees.

Thanks man! I wouldn't mind being a big wig. It'd be kinda nice to manage from the perspective of an employee. I'm just looking forward to being challenged again.

Bryant said:
I have to stck to my blue collar stuff. I am a "Real" blue collar guy considering my work uniform is blue and my shirt has a collar, blue of course. :loco: I couldn't be happier though. I wouldn't change my career for $10,000 more a year. My job challenges the pure essence of problem solving.

That's what's cool about this joint. They're all about getting the work done without worrying about outward appearance. Plans are in the works to grow the hair out one last time before I lose it all. :headbang: My wife is the one that told me I need to do it. I love that woman.

Bryant said:
I also apologize to everyone for being rather spotty in my posting (and to you Wheez for not making the disc I promised yet.) I am house hunting. Man talk about grueling work !! My wants/needs are extremely particular and peculiar so it is tough !!

Don't worry about it man! I'll be seeing you in a few weeks so I'll just give you a coupla noogies to make up for it! :p House hunting, eh? The Kojinator's big enough for his own room now I take it. :cool:

kittybeast said:

I took it as he wouldn't change careers for the money. Job, on the other hand, within the blue collar realm of things, would not be a problem.

6%? I'd like to see that kind of raise. :heh:

kittybeast said:

What are your requirements? just curious as we had ours when we were looking and couldn't find all in one home. But for the next home will defo require all of my home needs to be met

Absolutely not. I have "been around the block" so to speak, working here for two years, there for a year etc. I think extremely highly of both my skills and my "vision" of a way a business should be ran. I have a hard time dealing with rules and regulations that don't affect quality/efficiciency and safety and are only put in place to make things easy for upper management. I also am intolerant of "idiots" who are in management/supervisory positions due to nepotism or whatever. Those factors tend to limit my success in corporare life. I choose instead to befriend machinery and technology.
I don't think it is possible to "master" ANY trade or profession, but it is even more difficult to master what I do. As an industrial technician, I have to be competent with mechanical systems, electrical systems, electronics, hydraulics, pneumatics, welding and fabrication, machining, plumbing and anything that has to do with making repairing/maintaning/improving complicated industrial machinery.
I am not satisfied with being "competent" in those fields, but the best there is in not just one, but all of them. It is a daunting task and it is something I look forward to everyday. That is not to say, I have never been where I didn't feel like going to work on that particular day, but it is not due to my duties at work or because my current employer is not supportive of me become the best technician I can be.
As far as wage increases, I have only been with Flowers Foods for 15 months and have received a three dollar per hour raise and a promotion (to lead shift engineer) after only ten months of service. Unfortunately, in order to progress any more significantly, I will have to go into supervision then management which will limit my time building my skills. Being a shift supervisor wouldn't limit it that much, but progressing farther would be a detriment to my hands-on skills. That is a crossroad, I will deal with once I get there though, I suppose.

As far as requirements for my house ? I want land. I want five acres, but will consider three. The house is less important, but has to keep us comfortable for a few years until we build on the property. I need a shop in the back and a fenced yard (at least partially.) Ideally, to stay in my price range, a newer double-wide mobile home is ideal considering we will build a house on the land in five years or so after my wife is settled in her nursing career. A smaller modern house is also a consideration since we can build onto it, but something forty years old is not well insulated etc. would be a headache. I also want it sort of between my town and the one I work at and also in the country. I don't want it so rural we don't have neighbors, but I don't want those subdivisions around where they clear all the trees out and put houses 20 feet apart either. THese are two places I am considering...

http://www.navicamls.net/listings/252/PC357081086B.htm
http://www.navicamls.net/listings/252/PC333111086A.htm

I like the second of the two better due to the acreage and barn/shop even though it is a mobile home, not a stick built house. In the long run, it will cost more money for that one because I will have to build from scratch, as opposed to building on rooms with the other one. However, that property is perfect on the second one.

Bryant