General Chat Thread: waves hello

Wheezer said:
I took it as he wouldn't change careers for the money. Job, on the other hand, within the blue collar realm of things, would not be a problem.

6%? I'd like to see that kind of raise. :heh:

Quite right. I have found often times though..... the grass is always greener on the other side. Once you get into the "elite" corporations that have a high pay scale, it is often a union shop. Due to the impact of the union, often management throws in more rediculous rules and regulations. The union itself often has a lot of red tape and rhetoric as well.
My career is more to me than simply a means of earning money/benefits. I have to spend a great deal of my time at work and my employer has to meet me halfway. With the skills I possess, I could quit work today and be working within a month or two. I am not trying to sound too self-indulged, it's simply that I am very experienced at what I do and when you add in the fact that I am actually passionate about what I do, it makes for a good combination and a good employee.
The company I am at tolerates my idiosyncrasies because they respect the fact that I can not only help them maintain their profitability, but go beyond that with improvements I make to machinery. I have long hair, I smell like beer sometimes (only from the day before mind you) I am a fucking know-it-all when it comes to what I do, I bitch about other people not doing their job (including management) when it affects what I am trying to do, I order more parts and supplies than anyone else, I am more confrontational and imposing than even upper management pee-ons and I get paid to do that shit. I can't bitch at all.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I like the second of the two better due to the acreage and barn/shop even though it is a mobile home, not a stick built house. In the long run, it will cost more money for that one because I will have to build from scratch, as opposed to building on rooms with the other one. However, that property is perfect on the second one.

I like the second one too. That would be my choice, considering your plans. And those would be very nearly my plans as well. Both of those places would be worth at least twice as much here in Colorado. At least. Place them in the foothils and they'd be worth three times as much.

Bryant said:
My career is more to me than simply a means of earning money/benefits. I have to spend a great deal of my time at work and my employer has to meet me halfway. With the skills I possess, I could quit work today and be working within a month or two. I am not trying to sound too self-indulged, it's simply that I am very experienced at what I do and when you add in the fact that I am actually passionate about what I do, it makes for a good combination and a good employee.

I now know for sure that you and I are brothers separated at birth! :lol:

I have told my bosses several times that money is not that important to me -- it is a tool, a means to an end. I found out recently that one of the other employees makes as much as I do. Not a big deal except that he's only been there four years to my nine. I helped them build that company from infancy to where it is now. I worked 50+ hour weeks on salary in the early days to help get things done. I brought in business through my connections to my last job. I feel like they have taken advantage of my honesty. That was the final straw that sent me on my quest for another job.

i like the second property. bank the 30k you wouldn't spend and use that to start your building. here is a listing of a manufactured home built at the top of topanga canyon. Note the square footage- sorry can't get a pic of it...

1. 1BR 1BA, 660 sq. ft. home on Paradise Ln., lot size 41,672 SOLD for $836,000.

:) Hi everyone! I have missed you all... I do lurk sometimes so I am not all clueless as to what has been up lately.. but I don't get much time these days.

Been listening to the new Evergrey and Queensryche.. the Evergrey is OK, no masterpiece there, but enjoyable... the Queensryche... well, at first I was not too impressed, but after the 5th listen I am crancking that sucker! It has really grown on me and I am enjoying the heck out of it... I even love the opening track... with "The Hands" being the strongest track.

We've been missing you too Diabla, I hope everyhting is going alright for you. Drop from time to time, old regulars are the life of this place ;)

NP: Blind Guardian - 'Age Of False Innocence'

Hello one and all...:wave:
Just five more days of work until I leave for Virginia. Going up next weekend to catch Spock's Beard on Sat. & Nevermore/Evergrey on Sun. at Jaxx.:headbang:

TheWhisper said:
Just five more days of work until I leave for Virginia. Going up next weekend to catch Spock's Beard on Sat. & Nevermore/Evergrey on Sun. at Jaxx.:headbang:

Don't you feel guilty?!?!? :lol: I have to wait to see Evergrey in Sept.!

okay we'll each sing a song and buy beer!:loco:

kittybeast said:
Don't you feel guilty?!?!? :lol: I have to wait to see Evergrey in Sept.!

okay we'll each sing a song and buy beer!:loco:
Uh, no...I'm sorry for everything I've ever said to you.:worship:
It would take more Bass Ale than could be found in the state of Georgia to get me to sing karaoke...but I will still enjoy your performance, though.:kickass:

Bryant said:
As far as requirements for my house ? I want land. I want five acres, but will consider three. The house is less important, but has to keep us comfortable for a few years until we build on the property. I need a shop in the back and a fenced yard (at least partially.) Ideally, to stay in my price range, a newer double-wide mobile home is ideal considering we will build a house on the land in five years or so after my wife is settled in her nursing career. A smaller modern house is also a consideration since we can build onto it, but something forty years old is not well insulated etc. would be a headache. I also want it sort of between my town and the one I work at and also in the country. I don't want it so rural we don't have neighbors, but I don't want those subdivisions around where they clear all the trees out and put houses 20 feet apart either. THese are two places I am considering...

http://www.navicamls.net/listings/252/PC357081086B.htm
http://www.navicamls.net/listings/252/PC333111086A.htm

I like the second of the two better due to the acreage and barn/shop even though it is a mobile home, not a stick built house. In the long run, it will cost more money for that one because I will have to build from scratch, as opposed to building on rooms with the other one. However, that property is perfect on the second one.

Bryant... Are you financing your purchase? If so, there may be some considerations with buying a mobile home. Both properties look like really good deals considering the land size! Are you working with a Real Estate agent? If you have any general questions, I am a Real Estate agent so I may be able to help.

Pabla said:
:) Hi everyone! I have missed you all... I do lurk sometimes so I am not all clueless as to what has been up lately.. but I don't get much time these days.

Hey! Good to see you back.

TheWhisper said:

Have fun and write something up when you get back! :kickass:

Pretty smokey in N.Y. today.... fire in a lot of Brooklyn warehouses:

Eighty units and more than 400 firefighters joined the battle, using several tower ladders on three street sides while five fireboats pumped water on the flames from the East River, a technique the department calls "surround and drown."

Skeleton Crew are you able to see through the smoke? Haven't talked to you for a while but can't wait to see you in GA again. :kickass:

Nose clogged again courtesy of the last gig :lol:

As long as is not the avian flu...

rokk said:
Bryant... Are you financing your purchase? If so, there may be some considerations with buying a mobile home. Both properties look like really good deals considering the land size! Are you working with a Real Estate agent? If you have any general questions, I am a Real Estate agent so I may be able to help.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, everything is on hold right now. The developer that wants to buy my house tried to low-ball me. He offered me $35,000 for my home and land. my agent told me, it should sell for between $65,000 and $85,000. It is ashamed, because I actually went and seen the properties the other day. The one with the mobile home on it is fantastic and practically perfect for me.
I certainly don't know the ins and outs of the real estate business, but I know a mobile home needs to be blocked under in order to fincance it via FHA. With the money I would be able to put down, had I sold my house to said asshole developer, I could have had just the land financed for the rest if necessary. I wouldn't have need of much cash left after the purchase, but with 5.5 acres, I would have to buy a good quality lawn tractor, and get a couple of pieces of furniture (used would be adequate considering I would have such a small mortgage payment as I could take time to buy nice furniture at my disposal.)
My agent says I should put my house on the market. Do you agree and if so, how much time/money should I invest on renovating it ? There is nothing "wrong" with my house less old age. Other than cosmetic (paint, trim etc.), windows and doors are the only things in bad shape.

Bryant

Wheezer said:
I now know for sure that you and I are brothers separated at birth! :lol:

I have told my bosses several times that money is not that important to me -- it is a tool, a means to an end. I found out recently that one of the other employees makes as much as I do. Not a big deal except that he's only been there four years to my nine. I helped them build that company from infancy to where it is now. I worked 50+ hour weeks on salary in the early days to help get things done. I brought in business through my connections to my last job. I feel like they have taken advantage of my honesty. That was the final straw that sent me on my quest for another job.

There is a value for tenure. It costs money to hire and train people. I think people should at the least get a cost of living raise every year at minimum. That in itself doesn't mean a hill of beans alone though. Union companies usually rely a great deal on tenure for promotions etc. and often suffer greatly for it. I have worked around so many people with the attitude of "do your eight and don't be late." Now that's "employee of the year" material if I have ever seen it. :mad:
However, the fact you helped build that company from the ground up DOES say quite a bit. You certainly should be compensated for that. Finding someone to work those long hours selflessly/on salary is no easy task. They should kiss your ass. It sounds like you should look elsewhere.
It is sort of too bad you have been there for sooo long though. You don't really have a back-up if your next endeavor fails. I say that because I know if I were you, I would want to break my foot off in the President's ass when I left..... maybe not to that extreme, but I would at least chew it off to the bone.

Bryant

kittybeast said:
Want me to send you some Wyv? http://www.airbornehealth.com

hope you feel better soon!

Appreciete a lot sugar but no, I'm already on anti-flu pills and coughing syrup. The syrup is not doing much as I;m coughing dry and my throat is basically "destroyed".

Today I left the job with a 38.4 C fever (covert to F at your own risk :D) and a my car pool comnpanion had to drive my car back. As soon as I hit my room I got a couple of aspirin and went to sweat a bit in bed. I just woke up feeling better in comparison but still battered, gona have something rub in my chest and back and sweat again until tomorrow.

I haven't had fever in so many years I can't reall last time I had one, it really pisses me off. It seems there is a nasty virus around since I've been told many are sick :ill:

Quick poll: are you in favor or against exercising (working out) when with a cold?

NP: Labyrinth - 'This World'