General Chat Thread: waves hello

I'm in a kind of mourning. Bettie Page the ultra famous pin-up model from the 50's died at 85. She's probably the only brunette that really turn me on, one of the best models of her age was photographed by several artist but I feel her best work came from the camera of Bunny Yeager a great photographer that worked with many models in her time, but she captured (to my taste) the best of Bettie.

Here she is giving us the horns:

bettiepage.jpg

P.S. Iron Maiden will play again here...I'm not going :devil:!

Not sure if you any of you are fans of Richard Dawkins (or follow the whole creation/evolution "debate") but he has a new video entitled "The Genius of Charles Darwin". Well worth checking out if you're not a biologist.

(Please note: If you're a creationist, or "offended" by this sort of thing, don't watch it!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm severely pissed off. In my last haul (eBay from Argentina) I got a sealed CD just to find out it came scratched! The last three songs jump and play awfully, I try to polish it somehow but I couldn't removed the scratch. I already wrote to the seller to see what we can do but it's a total drag, since it is all the way from Argentina, I don't know what will be if he will exchange the CD, give me a refund (that doesn't fix the problem) or what...

What a way to start my vacations :(

I'm severely pissed off. In my last haul (eBay from Argentina) I got a sealed CD just to find out it came scratched! The last three songs jump and play awfully, I try to polish it somehow but I couldn't removed the scratch. I already wrote to the seller to see what we can do but it's a total drag, since it is all the way from Argentina, I don't know what will be if he will exchange the CD, give me a refund (that doesn't fix the problem) or what...

What a way to start my vacations :(

Ain't that a bummer. That's why I never buy from non-industrialized first world nations (Argentina's ahead of most of South America, but pales next to USA, Britian, etc).

Ain't that a bummer. That's why I never buy from non-industrialized first world nations (Argentina's ahead of most of South America, but pales next to USA, Britian, etc).

Actually you can't make a rule out of it, a) Argentina had improved its musical production a lot in the las 10 years and this is the first time it happens that to me with records made there (and I have quite a few, including one by Cathedral bought at CDUniverse.com o_O), and b) that happened to me too with Motorhead "Bomber", I bought it in a store in Long Island (USA) and at the time (1992) I never checked the CDs (I thought they're were indestructible), when I reach home I found a heavy scratch in the first track (still I can't play it, I never bought another copy, don't like the song anyway) and no way to exchange being miles away :mad:

Once I bought a Suicidal Tendencies album (at the time the jewel case came in a cardboard box), and when I opened the box the jewel case inside was empty, no CD, no inserts, nothing! Luckily the store owner knew me well and accepted to exchange the album.

Since all those stories, I open always the album in the store just to check it, but again I seldom by locally so I'm at the mercy of whatever can come my way :cry:

I hear that. I was at a used CD store a few months ago and shelled out three -whole- dollars for a used copy of the Best of Twisted Sister (This is 300 miles from home). I didn't bother to open the CD until I got home and Anita Baker was inside. (!!!!)

Saw TSO yesterday in Toronto. Incredible show - easily in the top 3 shows I've ever saw in my life.

They did all the tunes from them I wanted to hear - Carol of the bells, O Come All Ye Faithful, Mad Russian Xmas, Wizards of Winter - plus 2 Savatage tunes - Believe and the Intro piece of Hall of the Mountain King! (I know TSOutcast must be drooling). :Smokin:

The musicians were: Jeff Plate, Chris Caffery (who MC'd as well as played), Alex Sckolnic and Savatage's bassist (I forget the dude's name but recognized it).

Fantastic show! Glad I finally got to see them. :) My only gripe was at times it got boring (ie. the slow songs and when the guy told stories - I presume most of the crowd has ADD like I do). The lightshow and musicianship = second to none!

We have an hour ago a nice 6.2 Richter scale quake followed by 3 replicas and then 2 small ones afterwards. Nothing fell or break either at home (according to mom) or here but the epicenter was close to a volcano so we're not very at ease even in a country that has regularly tremors. I hope it was a plate thing and not volcanic related.

Thought about you soon as I heard the news about the quake.
Glad everything seems to be ok for you & your mom!

Thanks man! Things are pretty grim nearby the volcano area, already three dead (2 children), many injured and missing people out of reach, roads dissapeared, lack of water and electricity and the Emergency Commission is still assessing the damages.

Earthquake leaves at least 3 dead in Costa Rica By Leland Baxter-Neal and Alex Leff
Tico Times Staff | lbaxter@ticotimes.net | aleff@ticotimes.net
daily_01_09_093.jpg
TT reader Hugo Vega sent in this photograph of a traffic light bouncing in Alajuela, in one of the areas hit hard by yesterday's earthquake. Post your quake pictures in our Reader Photo Gallery.
Photo courtesy of Hugo Vega
At least three people, all children, were killed dead and more than 300 injured when a 6.2 magnitude earthquake rocked Costa Rica's populous Central Valley yesterday afternoon.​
Two sisters, ages 4 and 7, died after being buried under a landslide triggered by the earthquake in Cinchona, in the province of Alajuela, northwest of San José, Red Cross spokesman Freddy Roman said. A third girl, age 12, died in a separate landslide in the vicinity.​
At least 42 communities were hard hit, and evacuations in many were carried out into the evening.​
Some 300 people remained stranded at a hotel in Vara Blanca, a town at the base of Poás Volcano, according to the National Emergency Commission (CNE).​
The tremor's epicenter was 10 kilometers east of the volcano and 6 kilometers below the Earth's surface, according to the Volcanological and Seismological Observatory of Costa Rica (OVSICORI). Poás is Costa Rica's most-visited national park.​
CNE put the greater metropolitan area of San José on a red alert as emergency teams were arriving to the area more than two hours after the 1:19 p.m. (CST) quake. About 1,000 aftershocks were recorded in seven hours after the 6.2 quake. Many were strong enough to be felt.
The earthquake is the biggest felt in recent years in the Central Valley. People poured from their homes and office buildings as the ground shook. A tremor measuring 4.0 originated in the same area Tuesday morning and was felt in San José but caused no damage.
A quake of 6.2 was registered in Costa Rica's Southern Zone Nov. 26, according to Walter Jiménez, of OVSICORI.
Jiménez warned that further quakes should be expected in the coming days, but he could not estimate their magnitude.
Karla González, head of the Public Transportation Ministry told Channel 7 that her office is investigating possible damage to a dam on the Río Blanco River in Sarapiquí, on the Caribbean slope.
President Oscar Arias called for calm. “Our country has a long history of seismic activity and the events that occurred this afternoon, though tragic, are part of the normal behavior of a land such as ours, which, because of its location and geological conditions, is prone to constant tremors at different magnitudes,” the president said in a statement.
Arias is scheduled to visit affected areas this morning.

We have an hour ago a nice 6.2 Richter scale quake followed by 3 replicas and then 2 small ones afterwards. Nothing fell or break either at home (according to mom) or here but the epicenter was close to a volcano so we're not very at ease even in a country that has regularly tremors. I hope it was a plate thing and not volcanic related.

Holy christ! Hope you guys remain safe during this rough time.

Holy christ! Hope you guys remain safe during this rough time.

Well the capitol returned to normality but the truth is we're knee deep in shit and the effects of this is going to affect all of us in the months to come. The death toll is rising, towns basically dissappeared or are isolated, people are missing, roads dissapeared, two dams are damaged as well as several parts of the electricity network. And besides the human tragedy there are millions in damages to private and government property.

Like I wrote to KMADD who gently PMed me, what scares me is the fact that if USA couldn't fix New Orleans after Katrina being the richest country in the world, what we are going to do? We are still coping with the tragedy of heavy rain in the Caribbean coast last year and now this. When our planet really get angry with its tennants there's nothing to do but wait and pray. :ill:

P.S. The final joke, the werehouse of the National Emergency Commission caught fire today :erk:

as some of you know i've been busy with my some family stuff, and just heard about the CR earthquake... WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE A WYVERN POST!!! Sadly no time to read your post but wishing you all the best and hope for a speedy recovery. hugs, kmk

Like I wrote to KMADD who gently PMed me, what scares me is the fact that if USA couldn't fix New Orleans after Katrina being the richest country in the world, what we are going to do?

Well, that was largely due to a worthless government (and subsequent program). I have a feeling if that had happened in say, Germany, New Orleans would be a lot further along than it is at present.

Glad to see you and your mom are fine. Hopefully Costa Rica pulls through from this very difficult time.

(As a side note, what's with these major Earthquakes and Xmas time?)

Damn, Rolando, it seems as when it rained it poured there. Wishing you and the rest of CR the best in coping with this.

As for NOLA and Katrina, that area still isn't back to what it was. Mother Nature sure seems to be pissed these last few years...:erk:

Mother Nature sure seems to be pissed these last few years...:erk:

So far the estimated damage is USD$100 million and still unknown death toll :cry:

And yes Mother Nature is taking a bit of revenge on their worst tenants...us:ill: