ghost reveries is a weak album?

I don't think it is weak but it sure is the only album I have a hard time listening to from start to finish. It starts awesome with Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds but then comes the triad Beneath The Mire, Atonement and Reverie/Harlequin Forest, three of my least favorite tracks one after the other, and it just gets a bit tedious. A different track order may have made it better

I just think that's interesting, as the triad of Mire, Atonement and Reverie is the most interesting part of the album for me. Ehhh, to each his own I suppose. Although I think that Baying of the Hounds is quite possibly my favorite Opeth song of all time.

Overall, I think GR is one of my favorite albums. I guess I can "kind of" see how some people don't hold it up in as much esteem as they do with MAYH or Still Life. But as great as those albums are, they just don't seem to hold my attention quite as much as this one does. I always seem to find something new each time I listen to it.

I just think that's interesting, as the triad of Mire, Atonement and Reverie is the most interesting part of the album for me. Ehhh, to each his own I suppose. Although I think that Baying of the Hounds is quite possibly my favorite Opeth song of all time.

Overall, I think GR is one of my favorite albums. I guess I can "kind of" see how some people don't hold it up in as much esteem as they do with MAYH or Still Life. But as great as those albums are, they just don't seem to hold my attention quite as much as this one does. I always seem to find something new each time I listen to it.

That is alright :)

I think that it is a good thing that we all disagree a lot about our favorite albums/songs by Opeth.

I don't think it is a weak album - there really isn't anything I think you could seriously call filler there - but I can understand if the direction they took wasn't to someone's taste. I've heard far, far, far, far worse albums. Personally I think Ghost Reveries is one of Opeth's more consistent albums.

Isolation Years doesn't feel like it beongs, probably just because of the lingering remains of the original concept in all the other songs, but individually, no song is bad, and it's still my favorite Opeth album because the 5 heavy songs are 5 of my favorite metal songs period.

And if not there, the Unholy Trinity has referred to Ride the Lightning > Master of Puppets > ...And Justice For All (aka good Metallica's entire discography minus the less distinctive Kill 'Em All) for quite some time.

my perception of the album is wrong?

GR is a good album but not amazing for me.... is amazing for you?

i'm not saying "GR is a weak album" , i'm trying to say "GR is less brutal than others"

do you think GR is equally brutal than deliverance? (the last power album before GR) i don't think so

GR is maybe less heavy than deliverance, but it's GR has got some of the very very best songs Opeth has ever made (f ex GoP, TGC). GR is more varied. I think deliverace is maybe Opeth's most singleminded album ("I'm a HEAVY motherf***") but GR is not missing anything that deliverance has got.
That said, I don't think GR manages to keep the level all the way. Although I think Reverie/Harlequin Forest and HoW are cool songs, they are not good enough to keep up with the rest of GR.

Saying GR has to be as heavy as Deliverance to be heavy for an Opeth album is such retarded logic. That's like saying a Led Zeppelin album has to be equal to Led Zeppelin IV to be a good Led Zeppelin album, or like saying every Opeth album has to sound like Watershed to be progressive at all. GTFO with your illogical statements, Allfader.

Saying GR has to be as heavy as Deliverance to be heavy for an Opeth album is such retarded logic. That's like saying a Led Zeppelin album has to be equal to Led Zeppelin IV to be a good Led Zeppelin album, or like saying every Opeth album has to sound like Watershed to be progressive at all. GTFO with your illogical statements, Allfader.

I agree with you on this on Lateralus. It still boggles my mind why people want - nay, NEED - Opeth to be heavier than the 300 ibs. gorilla in the corner.