GMD Poll: Black Sabbath’s Discography Ranked

#3 Master of Reality (1971)

487.jpg

Average points per vote: 15.5/20

Putting on Sweat Leaf from Master Of Reality while smoking some pot = the meaning of live. Well i´ve never actually smoked pot,but the song has always kicked ass.

#1 Paranoid (1971)

485.jpg

Average points per vote: 17.4/20

BlackMetalTyrant said:
The most overrated band ever

has to be Black Sabbath, I just listened to paranoid while driving and that is one of the most disappointing albums I have ever heard. Dont get me wrong i think they are ok, they have a few good songs(under 5). Other than Symptom of the Universe, Sweet Leaf, and a few others black sabbath blows
(Sadly, it seems nobody on this forum has ever said anything remotely interesting and positive about the album. We all just accept its great.)

Final Results

20. Forbidden
19. Seventh Star
18. Technical Ecstasy
17. 13
16. Never Say Die
15. The Eternal Idol
14. The Devil You Know
13. Born Again
12. Tyr
11. Cross Purposes
10. Headless Cross
9. Dehumanizer
8. Mob Rules
7. Sabotage
6. Heaven and Hell
5. Vol. 4
4. Black Sabbath
3. Master of Reality
2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
1. Paranoid

Paranoid deserves the spot. Not much to say about it though! The first times I heard it I was mesmerized by war pigs had it on repeat. and I learned how to play the title track on guitar at a young age, as well as iron man. It's so ingrained in my history that the album doesn't stand out anymore but I just accept it's place as one of the most important metal albums. I don't really listen to it these days, it's one of those I can hear every note before it happens. Extremely influential album.

Reactions: zerostatic
BlackSabbath.jpg_zpscy8z67ba.png

Here's a comp. of our rankings vs. other rankings on the internet.

A few observations:
  • We clearly think more of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, which ranked 2 for us, than everyone else does (no higher than 5 elsewhere).
  • We ranked Cross Purposes (11) much higher than just about everyone else. Its highest ranking on other lists was 15.
  • Everyone, including us ranked Sabotage 7 and Mob Rules 8.
  • Everyone, including us, ranked Forbidden last.

RYM ratings:
paranoid 4.22
master of reality 4.15
black sabbath 4.12
sabbath bloody sabbath 4.01
vol. 4 3.96
heaven and hell 3.91
sabotage 3.83
mob rules 3.75
the devil you know 3.56
dehumanizer 3.44
13 3.42
headless cross 3.33
tyr 3.17
born again 3.14
the eternal idol 3.09
technical ecstasy 3.03
cross purposes 3.02
never say die! 2.94
seventh star 2.85
forbidden 2.33

Last edited:
Reactions: crimsonfloyd
RYM ratings:
paranoid 4.22
master of reality 4.15
black sabbath 4.01
vol. 4 3.96
heaven and hell 3.91
sabotage 3.83
mob rules 3.75
the devil you know 3.56
dehumanizer 3.44
13 3.42
headless cross 3.33
tyr 3.17
born again 3.14
the eternal idol 3.09
technical ecstasy 3.03
cross purposes 3.02
never say die! 2.94
seventh star 2.85
forbidden 2.33

sbs?

Weird. Paranoid is the weakest of the first six imo

Can't agree there. Rat Salad and Faeries Wear Boots are the only tracks that aren't phenomenal, and they're still very strong tracks. Everything else is stellar for what it is. I think over-exposure to War Pigs, Paranoid, and Iron Man impact some people's view of the album, but all three tracks are excellent in and of themselves. Hand of Doom and Electric Funeral are two of Sabbath's best and Planet Caravan is lush, gorgeous, and depressive.

Can't agree there. Rat Salad and Faeries Wear Boots are the only tracks that aren't phenomenal, and they're still very strong tracks. Everything else is stellar for what it is. I think over-exposure to War Pigs, Paranoid, and Iron Man impact some people's view of the album, but all three tracks are excellent in and of themselves. Hand of Doom and Electric Funeral are two of Sabbath's best and Planet Caravan is lush, gorgeous, and depressive.

Fairies Wear Boots is my favorite track on the album. I'll concede over-exposure probably plays a part, but then again, I dont tire of NIB, Sweet Leaf or The Wizard. I can't listen to Paranoid or Iron Man anymore. I truly never liked War Pigs. Electric Funeral is awful. The others are just....there.