GMD Poll: Dream Theater's Discography Ranked

15) Dream Theater (2013)

dtdt.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.4/15

So here it is. The first new song of the upcoming self-titled Dream Theater album; The Enemy Inside

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/103119258?secret_token=s-S9l3K

It's okay. A ''typical'' Dream Theater single. Heavy as shit though, but not really long and not full of mindfucking instrumentalism. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Last edited:
Last edited:
13) A Dramatic Turn of Events (2011)

dramaticturnofevents-800px-squashed.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.1/15

This is the best Dream Theater album since Scenes From a Memory. Almost all the fans seem to like "Breaking All Illusions", which is no wonder because it's one of their best songs ever.

Man, I don't know... Maybe they should have taken a break like Portnoy wanted. The album sounds too... forced? I think they are done, sadly. I also don't think it has anything to do with Portnoy leaving/Mangini showing up. They have exhausted their creativity it feels like. Oh, and JP needs to stop producing their shit...

Last edited:
12) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002)

dream-theater-six-degrees-of-inner-turbulence-20110802143639.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.4/15

The first disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is one of Dream Theater's greatest moments, and one of the greatest moments in metal overall.

Meanwhile, the second disc is one of their worst moments, right next to Falling Into Infinity.

Dream Theater would be better if they actually learned how to write songs again instead of having random, often plagiarized sections pasted together between meaningless 5 minute solo tradeoffs. The first disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was really good, but that's about the only thing post-1997 I can get into.

Last edited:
9) Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)

latest

Average points per vote: 7.9/15

Scenes From a Memory: Hm, was ok to me. Many folks choose this as their fav, I was always baffled by that. Maybe it is because I started with the earlier stuff, who knows. Album was "ok" but if you were to offer me a million dollars right now, I couldn't hum you one song from it.

I saw them on the Metropolis Pt. 2 tour, it's a good album but I don't find myself coming back to listen to it. Some of my favorite parts of that album are when they quote Metropolis Pt. 1.

Metropolis is a really well composed and executed concept album.

Metropolis Pt 2 is so bad. Beyond This Life in particular is one of the worst songs they've ever done, it's like you take Metallica's Fuel and try to turn it into an 11 minute song, just horrible.

Last edited:
8) Black Clouds and Silver Linings (2009)

R-6525455-1421275189-2884.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 8/15

Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings (One of DT's less offensive albums, and probably the most daydreamy for me out of everything on this list. "Wither" is my favorite song - it gets its concept across concisely, without dragging on like most of the other songs.)

Black clouds and silver linings - I have tried on several occations to get into this album but I just cant. It feels so tired.

Last edited:
Oh, ok, I thought we'd done that. Guess this DT one has just gone on and on and on and I've lost track.