GMD Poll: Megadeth's Discography Ranked

A:
1. Rust in Peace (100/100)

A-:
2. Killing is Business... and Business is Good!
3. Youthanasia
4. Countdown to Extinction

B+:
5. So Far, So Good, So What?

B:
6. Cryptic Writings
7. Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?
8. Dystopia (#theirbestalbumsince...)

B-:
9. Endgame
10. The System Has Failed
11. United Abominations

C:
12. The World Needs a Hero

D+:
13. Risk
14. Super Collider
15. Th1rt3en

I really enjoyed going through this discography. Lots of great stuff I hadn't heard before and almost all the albums have at least one song I really love. I was impressed with how much more I liked Youthanasia and Dystopia than when I first listened to them.

#15 Risk (1999)

671.jpg

Average points per vote: 1.6/15

... sometimes i refuse to acknowledge Risk as a Megadeth album.

The worst disappointing albums for me were:

Megadeth: Risk - what the hell, this is a great pop album, If you like pop, but where the hell is heavy metal? Dave and co went sell-outs with this one. This album should not have MEGADETH name on it.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
#12 Th1rt3en (2011)

454508.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.4/15

Sounds very Countdown... or Youthinasia to me, was pretty disappointed on first listen as I have really enjoyed the ferocity of the last couple of albums. Also the re-recording of old material sort of struck me as Dave running thing on idea's (something I NEVER thought I would see some one like Dave do).

#11 The World Needs a Hero (2001)

672.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.1/15

The World Needs A Hero is their St. Anger - an embarrassingly bad attempt at getting back on track

Lulu is better than The World Needs a Hero.

megadeth - TWNAH, people talked shit about this and said bla bla bla it blows, but i thought it was a beautifully constructed piece of metal that was a far cry from risk-like horse shit.

#10 The System Has Failed (2004)

61HJGVPY36L.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.1/15

Stormwatch said:
What the FUCK is "Shadow Of Deth" all about? Does Dave think we all want his shitty religion forced down out throats? Just because HE discovered the mighty JESUS that never physically existed (prove me wrong Dave, in a court of law), we've all to kiss his mighty ass? Whatever you might think of "The System Has Failed", I don't want to buy an album of christian rock music like this.
Dave - fuck off.
"Shadow Of Deth" is a cunt of a song (is that Dave speaking throughout it BTW, slowed down?). It's an old woman's fucking song.
I wonder, if "Rust In Peace" was a christian record would it have been so good?
Fuck. Off. Dave, you christian nob. The devil has all the best tunes, and "The System Has Failed " doesn't figure on his playlist ya wank. :err:

#8 Dystopia (2016)

Winner of the "Their Best Album Since..." Award

536834.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.8/16

Just listening to a few tracks from Dystopia now actually. And sorry all, but I really don't dig it. More focus on flashy arpeggiated sweep leads than memorable riffs and arrangements. Not a fan.

Dystopia alone is better than anything Metallica released after the self titled

#7 Cryptic Writings (1997)

447541.jpg

Average points per vote: 8/15

Megadeth's Cryptic Writings is infinitely better than everything they did after.

Cryptic Writings was an excellent hard rock album, you just have to get over the fact that it isn't thrash, before you can truly appreciate it...

#6 Youthanasia (1994)

669.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.2/15

Youthanasia. A great collection of solid songs. It may not technically be their best, but it's my favorite.

There's not a week that goes by without me listening to that album :kickass: Addicted to Chaos, Reckoning Day, Blood of Heroes and the title track are some of my fave Megadeth tracks. Not a single weak song on there.

Last edited: