GMD Poll: Slayer's Discography Ranked

Just one person I could think of off-hand that you wouldn't dismiss for arbitrary reasons, which you're doing anyway so I guess it was a waste of time. :lol:

I don't think Reign in Blood has an evil sound whatsoever really. To my senses it's much more aggressive and violent, it's like an Arnold Schwarzenegger body count rather than say, the cellar from Evil Dead. :D

I could see that for the middle tracks I guess (I don't actually agree, as half the songs are about taking pleasure from mutilating people, which is pretty evil in my book), but I don't see how Angel of Death and Raining Blood aren't evil as fuck. The former is evil in the same way watching a documentary on the Holocaust is evil- the damn people are fucking vile if allowed to be sort of evil. The later is more of a classic Old Testment powerful spiritual force unleashing its power on the worthless humans below sort of evil.

Seasons is my #1 because it's the first Slayer album I ever bought and one of my first extreme metal albums ever. Nostalgia.

Also the fact that it only has one or two duds on the album. You could say 'then why isn't RIB #1 because it has no dudz Ozzbro?'

Well, it's a homogenous suite (hurr hurr) and so it's hard to have duds with something like that. My only gripe with RIB is that it is too short but that probably adds to the appeal of it. Short and to the point. No filler, all killer.

There are no duds on the first five Slayer albums. There are all-time great songs, regularly great songs, and very good songs. That's about it.

Why wouldn't i dismiss his opinion? Is it supposed to matter to me because he's in a band? Like he's the only one who thinks that album has a eerie vibe or something? I'm pretty sure most of the children at hot topic and the 50 year old dude-bros think Repentless has an eerie vibe. Am i supposed to give a shit?

As I said, it wasn't supposed to matter specifically that he was famous, just that it was the only reference I had at hand. Besides @Satanstoenail (who you dismissed because he likes nu-metal) I don't know anybody else who holds South of Heaven up as their favourite Slayer album.

Anyway this is besides the point.

SoH is nowhere near as evil or eerie as the two albums that came before it and the one that fallowed it up. What the band sounds like to you and others here(even toenail) means more to me than what some random guy has to say about it. That being said, i dont know a single person IRL that considers that album to be their best, and if you want to bring up randoms, than there waaaaaayy more people that would agree with me on that album being pretty soft and tame compared to their other stuff. Shit, i think they even admitted it themselves a few times on how that album was just too melodic or whatnot.

We simply disagree about it not being their eeriest/most evil sounding I guess. I don't think it's their best or their peak genius album though so I won't bother to defend that angle.

I was just saying initially that an album doesn't have to represent a band's true or traditional sound to be their peak genius album, add to that the subjective nature of what makes an album peak material to the fans it's not really something that can be proven or disproven to begin with.

This is all very romantic language after all.

Oh and one of the most evil, wicked, bad ass metal albums of all time doesn't sound evil to you? Aggression, violence and lyrics that basically define that word have nothing to do with it sounding evil? hmmm, ok.

I don't agree that aggressive and violent musical elements define an evil sound.

I could see that for the middle tracks I guess (I don't actually agree, as half the songs are about taking pleasure from mutilating people, which is pretty evil in my book), but I don't see how Angel of Death and Raining Blood aren't evil as fuck. The former is evil in the same way watching a documentary on the Holocaust is evil- the damn people are fucking vile if allowed to be sort of evil. The later is more of a classic Old Testment powerful spiritual force unleashing its power on the worthless humans below sort of evil.

When talking about the atmosphere of a record, I don't really take the specific lyrical content into account. "Raining Blood" though does have a kind of evil feeling to it, with the tension built by the intro for example. But I think the feeling of Reign in Blood comes almost entirely down to the terseness of the album's length as well as the intensity, aggression and violence of the compositions.

It could be an album based around a concept of eating cotton candy and it wouldn't change my feelings about it being aggressive and violent rather than evil. Of course this is also relatively speaking because it would sound evil by comparison to many other albums by other bands.

The question is what's better, South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss. To me, the latter.

I choose South of Heaven.

I haven't listened to their first two albums as they're not interesting to me.

Never?

Last edited:
metalbro shat on it because it wasn't as brutal as RiB. And as much as I love Seasons, I think it's a shame that they pandered to the metalbros and the album suffers for it (or maybe they were just running out of creative steam, I dunno).

"OMG HE SAID A SHIT LOAD OF THEIR FANS WERENT HAPPY WITH IT SO HE"S SHITTING MY FAVOWITE SLAYER ALBUM! WAAAAA" Lulz

A guy who listens to nu-metal and groove just called me a metalbro? :lol:

And i never shat on the album you imbecile. "creative zone" "mega high"? So a mid-paced Slayer with Tom singing way more than he should is a creative zone? Lmfao. Yeah, im not surprised coming from someone who enjoys the musical depth of korn

He also listens to groove and korn, so yeah.

Well, fair enough. :lol:

Again, i am not surprised that someone who enjoys listening to pure shit would think that South of Heaven is their best album. Carry on.

Last edited:
Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
As I said, it wasn't supposed to matter specifically that he was famous, just that it was the only reference I had at hand. Besides @Satanstoenail (who you dismissed because he likes nu-metal) I don't know anybody else who holds South of Heaven up as their favourite Slayer album.

Fair enough.

I was just saying initially that an album doesn't have to represent a band's true or traditional sound

I never argued that. But what would you say was Deaths true sound?

add to that the subjective nature of what makes an album peak material to the fans it's not really something that can be proven or disproven to begin with.

This is all very romantic language after all.

I agree.

I don't think it's their best or their peak genius album though so I won't bother to defend that angle.
It is without a doubt them at the peak of their genius. What in the world are you talking about?

I don't agree that aggressive and violent musical elements define an evil sound.
You're wrong here, but that's ok. That album is pure evil. Musically, lyrically... in every possible way. Just because it doesnt sound evil to you does not mean its doesn't sound evil to basically the rest of the world

Last edited:
There are no duds on the first five Slayer albums. There are all-time great songs, regularly great songs, and very good songs. That's about it.
Quoted for the goddamn truth! Mandatory Suicide does come close though and is easily their worst song from their first 5.

And yes, Raining Blood is quite possibly their "most evil" track.

Last edited:
The question is what's better, South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss. To me, the latter.
Its very close imo. Both are great albums.

RYM average is 3.89
uCKFnDu.png

RYM average is 3.93
FqSAmgh.png

RiB is best described as psychopathically violent. it's cold, clinical, merciless and, sure, gleefully fucking evil, though in more of a serial killer way than a satanic way or whatever. HA is more like a labyrinthine rollercoaster down... to the fiery pits of... HEEALLLLGGHHHHH. there's some overlap obviously but overall i think the brand of evil on the two albums is different enough that there's no point arguing which is the *most* evil. neither renders the other redundant in the slightest.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
I never argued that. But what would you say was Deaths true sound?

Good question, that's especially a hard one since Chuck made a point to progress his skills and improve his band in a trend away from standard death metal to something more technical.

If I had to choose a Death album that could be considered the true Death sound I would go with Human I guess, it has a good balance and sums up the duality of being vicious/heavy and being technically proficient.

It is without a doubt them at the peak of their genius. What in the world are you talking about?

I think South of Heaven shows Slayer slightly over-the-hill. Great album of course but it marked a downward trend in quality after Reign in Blood, for me and my taste personally.

You're wrong here, but that's ok. That album is pure evil. Musically, lyrically... in every possible way. Just because it doesnt sound evil to you does not mean its doesn't sound evil to basically the rest of the world

That's fine, I have no illusions regarding the fallacy of objectivity when talking about music.
I simply do not agree that violence and aggression are elements that make up the descriptive; evil.

Sure, as I said I am speaking relatively. Reign in Blood is certainly evil compared to other albums by other bands.

I just disagree that it is Slayer's characteristically evil-sounding album.
Slayer couldn't record an album that sounds like South of Heaven without already having a history of recording music going in that direction.