Guitar Player's Thread

atheist_rage_face.jpg

2iae8m1.jpg

lol never heard of 7 or 8 string classicals!! :D

Zakk, yeah D tuning for my own compositions. I'm gonna check out the pro arte, thanks.

and everyone seems to have their own preference/good experience with different brands of cables....maybe it's just a hit or miss thing.

Bartolex makes 7+ string classicals, and I've been looking at them myself actually..
They're cheap/affordable for their specs, i guess
Not that many 7+ string classical guitar makers nowadays, bar the custom instruments
$1300 and up, at http://www.bartolexusa.com/

In the end it's too expensive for me though, as I'm not really a classical player so it would only be novelty for me. 1300 usd is too steep just for novelty :lol:

It really made me hate my 2 guitars w/o the big block, tone wise.

I have chocks of wood blocking my trem as I rarely use it, just wondering if I got a brass block and chocked it would it be pointless or would it enhance the sustain? Probably a question for a physicist but wondering if anyone's done it and noticed a difference.

s

I have chocks of wood blocking my trem as I rarely use it, just wondering if I got a brass block and chocked it would it be pointless or would it enhance the sustain? Probably a question for a physicist but wondering if anyone's done it and noticed a difference.

s

They make a big brass block for strats and they have a bridge that does not typically float, so I would imagine it would make the sustain better and darken up a strats tone.

So it should at least change the tone and I would imagine it would help sustain some.

Yeah though the sustain block in the strat trem isn't connecting with the body. It's still sitting in free air right?

s

yea it bolts to the base plate and that is the only place that the sustain block touches.

So you put wood behind the sustain block to block it or under the bridge in the route on top of the guitar.

Like this?
Block_Bridge.jpg

Like this?

Yeah that's what I've done but with smaller bits of wood - it was a rush job to get it stabilised in time for recording.

I guess with longer strips of wood like in the pic it will give better tone and just wondering if changing the sustain block to brass will have any noticeable effect.

s

Have any of you ever played the Kevin Bond rhoads model? I think it started selling around the same time the RR24 did? I love the bright/neon-ish green bevels (it also comes in red), but the main reason it intrigues me is that it's made of Mahogany. Pretty much all RR's are alder/maple , and normally I'd have to get a LP or Explorer or some kind of stratshaped guitar to have Mahog.

p1_u253tdg0l_so.jpg

Have any of you ever played the Kevin Bond rhoads model? I think it started selling around the same time the RR24 did? I love the bright/neon-ish green bevels (it also comes in red), but the main reason it intrigues me is that it's made of Mahogany. Pretty much all RR's are alder/maple , and normally I'd have to get a LP or Explorer or some kind of stratshaped guitar to have Mahog.

p1_u253tdg0l_so.jpg

So glad you posted this picture. Never seen this before but that is exactly how I want to have my LTD repainted once I have the lower wing cut shorter like the Japanese models. now I can just take that picture to my luthier and not have to explain it all to him.

The main reason I picked up my Xiphos was because of the Mahogany body. I guess it's as close as I can get to RR shape and have Mahogany...or should I say the cheapest way. Could always hack off the horns near the neck and it would basically be a RR shaped guitar and have mahogany body and neck, but it has a rosewood fret board. I don't mind, but some hate them.

Yeah, I wish it was inlay-less, although that's pretty much how I feel about most guitars. The only inlays I truly enjoy opposed to having a blank fretboard are classic dots and the ESP Horizon markers. The body, finish, fretboard material, bridge type, headstock - are all more aesthetically important to me than inlays, so the pentagrams don't really "break" the guitar for me.

^^ Rob, yeah - to be honest on the right guitar and with good enough material, Rosewood fretboards are great. Most people are used to seeing cheap Rosewood on cheap production guitars. On the contrary: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/161121-ngd-esp-cygnus-leda-signature-model.html <-- I'm glad that has a Rosewood fretboard, the vintage feel it gives is awesome. Ebony would make it look more generic in this case. Also, while it's not a HUGE determination of tone, it does affect tone, as does every single thing on your guitar, so it's not just about aesthetics.

p1_u253tdg0l_so.jpg

Mahogany-Strat?? Never played one :confused: