Votes: 12 17.9%
  • J

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • K

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is the loudness war my friends!
Sorry Mark, but my SoundForge Level Scanner Tool told me this about the samples. Forgive me.

A: Pk: -2,7 db / RMS: -16,5 db
B: Pk: -4,0 db / RMS: -20,5 db
C: Pk: -2,6 db / RMS: -12,7 db
D: Pk: -5,7 db / RMS: -17,1 db
E: Pk: -3,0db / RMS: -15,3 db
F: Pk: -8,5 db / RMS: -16,7 db
G: Pk: -0,0 db / RMS: -13,1 db
H: Pk: -8,8 db / RMS: -20,5 db
I: Pk: -7,1 db / RMS: -15,6 db
J: Pk: -5,6 db / RMS: -18,1 db
K: Pk: -7,8 db / RMS: -21,3db

They all should have been normalized to average -13 db RMS so all would sound the same loudness.

Anyway is not important for the TONE, if some sample sound lower, just turn up the volume!
This is the first reamping contest, I'm sure we'll improve many things for the next editions.
The aim was to learn, and I think in the end we all will learn about normalizing, volumes, rms loudness, peaks...

Mark, you did good man, dispite the level changes *if there be any* good job for setting up this whole competition! /m

Thank you :kickass: With 20+ participants it's kinda hard to keep everyone happy :lol:

Cookies anyone?

Sorry Mark, but my SoundForge Level Scanner Tool told me this about the samples. Forgive me.

They all should have been normalized to average -13 db RMS so all would sound the same loudness.

Anyway is not important for the TONE, if some sample sound lower, just turn up the volume!
This is the first reamping contest, I'm sure we'll improve many things for the next editions.
The aim was to learn, and I think in the end we all will learn about normalizing, volumes, rms loudness, peaks...

What the hell! Thats not what voxengo span is saying. Brb, screencapping that shit

Oh yeah, don't misunderstand Mark, you've done a fantastic job organizing all this, and I appreciate it! :headbang: If anything, I was more bitching about the people who exported the files, not you ;)

I was more bitching about the people who exported the files, not you ;)
Yes, that is the problem, but we all are in this forum to learn except problably Andy, James... and those kind of aliens, and no one can be blamed for doing something bad. The most important thing is to participate and try. And the more you try the best you will do in the end.
When I was a child, my teacher told me that ...am I talking bollocks?

My data:

Clip A peaks at -13.4L / -13R
A.JPG

Clip B peaks at -14.8L / -13R
B.JPG

Clip C peaks at -14.1L / -13R
C.JPG

Clip D peaks at -15.9L / -13R
D.JPG

Clip E peaks at -13.9L / -13R
E.JPG

Am I going crazy?

I have no doubt I could have done some things better, (average vs. peak, different riff/backings, more volume rules etc) since hey, my first time doing something like this. I'm sure the next one will go a lot smoother, since we'll take the foundation + things we learned from this competition. However, I'm not entirely convinced I fucked up the -13db peaks. I spent an hour on getting them all to peak at -13db and now you're saying I messed it up :erk: If I weren't a heartless baby devouring behemoth from another dimension I think I could cry.

:cry:

it would been fixed with a rule that made everyone put their guitars to peak at the same level, and let em do whatever they wanted with the drums and bass, because a louder guitar track automatically sounds better for the mind

Im sure since this has been highlighted everybody will make adjustments to their volume pots as they see fit to judge each tone individually and fairly.

I'd like to get that peak rms issue sorted out before I post up the next round. If I did something wrong, I don't want to repeat my mistake. If someone could tell me what the hell is going on, I'd appreciate it.

Man I wish I'd had some time to cobble something together a couple of days ago.
I got that message from you saying it was the last day and I was snowed under with fucking drum editing :X

I like "I" the most, also.

What i´ve always recognized is that Span or sonalksis meter (just for example) give me always different rms values. So, where is the incorruptible plug-in? For me i just analyze any prof. mix trough span and just adjust my mix to that rms value (+ -), and when other plug-ins are used than adjust to their rms.
Fuck it! just numbers... one meter, span for this competition and nothing else!!!

Alright, my meters are working fine, Jevil's meters are off. I just downloaded ahjteam's files and ran SPAN over them, and I'm getting -18 RMS like he said. I can make sure the clips from now on are all-18 RMS instead of - 13 P RMS and that should mean problem solved. I also put that link ahj posted to the fixed files in the first post of the voting threads, so people can check that out if they wish.

ahj thanks for the link, and that little "sausage" tutorial :D I for one (clearly) didn't realise it was better to go for RMS instead of P RMS.