How do you listen to katatonia?

Varg-

New Metal Member
Sep 1, 2003
Stockholm
Visit site
How do you listen to katatonia?
Doing anything special, like turning the lights off, light some candles etc?
I prefer usually prefer pure darkness as soroundings.

And how do you watch them live?
When I was going to see them I though I just was going to stand still and enjoy. But since they only played songs from the last three albums, which has pure head-banging riffs, I banged like hell, partly because I wanted to show them how much I like their music and I know the exact rythm ;)
There crowd was very small and shit so I(and my comrads) wanted to motivate them to keep playing :)
Hehe, well... it was awsome.

bollocks :(
Addition:
I meant, how do you prefer to listen to katatonia? Ofcourse you could listen to them any time, but when you really got time and want to concentrate on the music, what do you do? (developing)

well, it depends..
but can't deny it's more loosen while being at home and it's growing dark, some windows are wide open and pleasant cold wind is rushing into and.. use your imagination further on.
and there's something more, can't explain it actually.. i can hardly imagine i could hear Tonight's Decision with someone else, i mean together with someone else, i can't be myself then.. it's strange.

and about seeing them live.. didn't have the chance so far.. but i know very well how this would turn out.. :ill:

Drynwhyl, nice! I like that, being infected by the music and all. That's how it should be...

haha, tell me how it would turn out! Loads'a bangs? :)

Varg- said:
bollocks :(
Addition:
I meant, how do you prefer to listen to katatonia? Ofcourse you could listen to them any time, but when you really got time and want to concentrate on the music, what do you do? (developing)
I prefer to listen at any time. I'm even listening to my discman during school lessons. Got music in me head like at 15 hours aprox a day. I'm not the kind of guy that thinks 'okay it's a rainy day and it's pretty dark outside so I'll lay down on my bed, close my eyes and listen to Brave Murder Day' see?
I DO lay down on me bed and listen to some random music though but that's got nothing to do with it.

Cerulean, okay, well that's too bad, because that means katatonia doesn't effect your feelings in the way they do for me.

I prefer not to listen to music while people are around. Ofcourse on busses etc. but not in class. Nothing is allowed to disturb me when I'm listening to music, then it's all fucked up. Me and music are that tight...
Listening all the time, not being concentrated and in the classroom etc. is NO feeling...
I can't say anything but I'm sorry for you... you could work on it though.

When I saw them live last year I was sucked into a permanent state of uphoria for the rest of the week. I thought I'd be head banging, moshing, whatever, but I just stood at the front mesmorised by the music. It was one of the best gigs/moments of my life.

As for listening to it when I get the time, it has to be really loud if its on my stereo so it envelopes me, or I just listen to it on my MD player alone so I can absorb it and better appreciate it. I don't like any outside noises interfering either and I'd rather it be dark. I prefer to listen alone, but even when someone else is there too (eg. partner) to appreciate it together is one of the best feelings in the world.

I am waaaaay to deep with matters regarding Katatonia :erk:

as a said.. it's great when you can sink into Katatonia in a situation i've described already.. but it's not possible all the time, lack of free (devoted to it) time mostly.. so it happens i'm with my cd player in the subway in the morning (surrounded by so many, irritating people) and try to make up for the busy time to come...
therefore i miss my station so often i guess.

Varg- said:
haha, tell me how it would turn out! Loads'a bangs? :)

"one minute no collapse...
one thirty breathing lapse..."

I normally listen to Katatonia while in a relaxed state, sometimes with minimal light, and if I were to see them live, I'd try to get as close as possible without heading into the pit, and be as active as possible without moving around, likely singing along with every word...

Good thread Varg :) .I obsess about things alot.
Usually I come home from work and head up to my room and breath for a bit. Take a shower if I give a fuck that day and then I hole up in my room for the rest of the night. I usually ponder the day untill I am disgusted with my life. And then when I am full of myself and empty of my life I listen. I have a small room with a plant in it. Just enough room for my pc and my cd collection.
And so I sit and obsess about music instead of my life. Usually I listen to katatonia, but not always. I usually take 2-3 songs and listen to them a week or so. I find that I cant fully take them into me without doing that. For me its usually Katatonia but sometimes not. Right now I have 3 songs on repeat by RED HOUSE PAINTERS-Smokey-and-River- and-Drop-.I have been listening to them for 4 days. Its a good depression. So usually its alone in my room in concentration.
I, like Varg, have a hard time listening to music with others because it seems that they only hear it, they dont listen.
sometimes I scream in my car and people look at me funny.

driving while listening to katatonia is good cause of the steady melodies but sometimes i get the strange urge to just drive off the the road or into oncoming traffic and...(-: j/k

i got my stereo in front of my sofa so i have true stereo sound when i'm lying on it.
i prefer to listen to katatonia (or other bands) when it's kind of rainy, not dark and not bright outside. i open the window, feel the kind of cold wind in my face, close my eyes and just listen and let the feelings just flow. sometimes i feel some tears on my face, when i'ts getting too doomy and the situation reminds my of something that happened in my life, too.

hah stereo.......dolby is the key. i cant stand two speakers anymore.....its just, i dont know its not the real deal. Music from all sides.....nothing beats a good equip.

Back to the topic. I like to listen to Katatonia, Opeth and such stuff while going for a walk in the night. I live in a small village so its just 3 minutes into the forest......its just insane standing in a total dark forest (no citylights in range), having something like "rainroom" playing and watching the moonlight reflecting on trees etc...smoke something.....hrhr. And weather makes the difference......i like rainy days...or even snow etc. Sitting in the boiling heat at the beach just isnt the right place to listen to dance of december souls etc :)

I'm like Cerulean...I listen to music all the time anyway, so I don't care about a special setting.

Open discman. Insert album. Close discman. All done.

1. Eventhough katatonia suits most moments, they are best suited for walking about at night. I've found myself enjoying Last Fair Deal Gone Down when walking home from a late party alone many times by now.

2. they totally blew me away when I saw them earlier this year. Headbang was not an option, it was mandatory.