Iconoclast reviews

I've seen Symphony X live a few times now and I will say that they definitely have a predictable setlist. It's sad that they have so many great songs they never play and just keep on truckin' with the same ones time and time again. You can pretty much write the album-release-tour setlist before they do...Of Sins and Shadows, 2-3 PL songs, 4 new album songs, Sea Of Lies/Inferno/Odyssey. I dunno, something probably pretty similar.

Sadly we are in the minority of SX fans who mostly wanna hear Domination, Of Sins And Shadows, Serpent's Kiss, and Set The World On Fire done to death.

They said that some of the songs are so technical...or something like that, that they just don't work when played live. I would love to hear which songs those are. Just to write them off once and for all, because I am the sort of person who keeps hoping forever, unless I'm told specifically to "fuck off with that shit already". The new setlist should include mostly new songs and a couple of PL songs. I, however, think it is a splendid opportunity to show off some of the old stuff when they play the new, because many of the people who will come to the new shows have only heard PL and the new album by then, and nothing of the old stuff (as witnessed in London and Sheffield on this tour :rolleyes:). Sort of a hindsight progression :D

Another 5/5 review:

http://www.dangerdog.com/2011-music-reviews/symphony-x-iconoclast-review.php

The lack of an album leak is so depressing (as disrespectful as that sounds to the band, i've paid my pre-order and i'm a big fan of instant gratification).

Man, I need to stop reading these reviews. This is like listening to hype about The Dark Knight and then going to see it. Even though the movie blew me away, I was still somewhat let down because the reviews made it seem like a religious experience.

As for your other point, same here. On the other hand, I commend nuclear blast for really taking care to keep the album under wraps till the release date. I don't think I've ever heard of a leak being prevented for any popular band.

I commend nuclear blast for really taking care to keep the album under wraps till the release date.

I'd give more credit to the people who don't work for the label, have promo copies and could leak the album at any time if they wanted to. :lol:

And yeah you should probably stop reading those reviews then. It's an awesome album and imo better than PL, but not a 'religious experience'.

Does anyone else get sick of reading Symphony X reviews (for any album) where the reviewer seems to think that the band solely consists of Russell and Romeo? When they listen to the music, do they not hear drums, bass, or keyboards?

Does anyone else get sick of reading Symphony X reviews (for any album) where the reviewer seems to think that the band solely consists of Russell and Romeo? When they listen to the music, do they not hear drums, bass, or keyboards?

Yeah, the other guys are way too much in the background. I even dislike videos on youtube where the sole focus is on Romeo. If you're a guitarist, I get you want to see how he does stuff, but to me that's really boring. I want to see the rest of the guys as well. I don't play the drums, but the few drumcams that show Rullo on youtube really fascinate me. That is a freakin' underrated job! LePond always looks like he's having the time of his life up there, so I get really happy when I see him. There is pretty much nothing on Pinnella :/

I even dislike videos on youtube where the sole focus is on Romeo. If you're a guitarist, I get you want to see how he does stuff, but to me that's really boring.

I'm a guitarist and I find it boring! Even worse is when they put the camera on Russ when there's some really cool instrumental thing going on, or when they show Romeo during P's solo...

I find it slightly humorous that this French review mentions everyone in the band except Lepond, the one guy with a French surname.

Two more french reviews: 6/10 and 17/20

http://www.heavylaw.com/c4633-Symphony-X-Iconoclast-2011.html
http://auxportesdumetal.com/reviews/SymphonyX/symphonyx-iconoclast.html

FYI, The reviewer who gave Iconoclast 6/10 gave the last three albums 9, 8 and 10 respectively, and also lists Symphony X in their top 5 metal bands. They claim Iconoclast doesn't cater enough to the trademark passages and neo-classical roots of the band, yet they also loved PL...I'm not too sure what to make of this one?

Two more french reviews: 6/10 and 17/20

http://www.heavylaw.com/c4633-Symphony-X-Iconoclast-2011.html
http://auxportesdumetal.com/reviews/SymphonyX/symphonyx-iconoclast.html

FYI, The reviewer who gave Iconoclast 6/10 gave the last three albums 9, 8 and 10 respectively, and also lists Symphony X in their top 5 metal bands. They claim Iconoclast doesn't cater enough to the trademark passages and neo-classical roots of the band, yet they also loved PL...I'm not too sure what to make of this one?

There's nothing to make of it. I've recently decided to stop reading any of these reviews. I don't give a damn what some reviewer thought of the album. I'll listen and decide what I think for myself. When you sit there reading reviews you just form opinions before you hear the record, and then you're just doing yourself a disservice.

Reviewers are so liberal with their scores. 98/100 is extremely high - even based on the samples, I can tell the album isn't that good.

also:

ICONOCLAST is the album where Michael Romeo starts being named in the same breath as guys like John Petrucci and Jeff Loomis.

Which of these guys is this supposed to be a compliment for...?