If you could change a thing

MoSeN

I'm a beer
Jul 24, 2014
Tehran, Iran.
Sometimes when listening to different stuff I wonder about little changes and ideas that could make these bands sound better (at least according to my own likings). Some of these ideas might not even seem practical for some bands in reality because of many reasons, but let's not question that and just imagine these ideas could actually be put to work.

So my question is if you could change a thing about a band and their music, which band would it be and what would your suggestions be?

:lol:

Sometimes I dream about a parallel universe in which Lars died instead of Cliff, and then they hired Gene Hoglan to replace him.

I'd say the production quality in BM. Some BM acts are way too lo-fi, while others have entirely too crisp of a sound. Move it to the middle please...

Candlemass. Only if they used some harsh vocals..

I'd say the production quality in BM. Some BM acts are way too lo-fi, while others have entirely too crisp of a sound. Move it to the middle please...

Yeah really. This retarded cliche that bad quality makes your work sound more badass really needs to die.

I like death/doom but candlemass vocals are great once you get into them. I remember finding them goofy though.

I would ban Steve Harris from ever writing another chorus.

:lol:

Sometimes I dream about a parallel universe in which Lars died instead of Cliff, and then they hired Gene Hoglan to replace him.

All four were probably vital to their sound at that point tbh, more than almost any other metal band.

After Puppets? They were going in a much more progressive direction and Lars' ineptitude as a drummer definitely held them back. Hoglan would have fit in with that direction and would have been more than up to the task technically.

After Puppets? They were going in a much more progressive direction and Lars' ineptitude as a drummer definitely held them back. Hoglan would have fit in with that direction and would have been more than up to the task technically.

They were going in a progressive direction from the beginning, with Burton likely the main creative source behind that, but I'm pretty sure Ulrich was also very involved in moving the band towards longer/sprawling songs and in arrangements for that period. And there isn't a single song on the first four albums where the drumming holds them back; Hoglan could have probably done more interesting stuff/had fancier fills in the fastest songs, but that wouldn't have made much of a difference. Of course, Hoglan was a rare drummer that actually was a primary songwriter for his own band (IIRC he wrote the majority of the riffs on Time Does Not Heal) so a Hetfield/Hammett/Burton/Hoglan line-up could be pretty fucking amazing still.

I don't understand the talk about Lars' ineptitude; the songs and music sounded fine and if they didn't they wouldn't have been so revered as a band at the time.

With Lars and James the main songwriters I think if Lars dies they wouldn't really be Metallica any more.

To the topic - I'd remove most of Grutle's rasping vocals on Vertebrae.

And there isn't a single song on the first four albums where the drumming holds them back

Because they wrote around his limitations ldo. If they'd had a drummer capable of playing faster, more aggressive, and more complex material there's no telling what they would have done.

And as you mentioned, Hoglan was a songwriter with a penchant for complex, proggy thrash. I think it would have been a really interested combination.

-Make the final verse of Neurosis's Crawl Back In be sung in tune.

-Fix the garbage guitar tone on Graveland's Thousand Swords.

-Have Dead do the vocals on DMDS instead of Atilla

-Have Judas Priest leave the following tracks off their albums:
Last Rose of Summer off Sin After Sin
Living After Midnight off British Steel

Combine the following tracks from Turbo and Ram it Down into a single album:
-Turbo Lover, Out in the Cold, Hot for Love, Reckless, Ram it Down (remove the bridge), Heavy Metal, Hard as Iron, Monsters of Rock. Pretend the rest of those two albums never happened.

-Have the lyrics to Metallica's Dyers Eve not sound like they were written by a 14 year old

-Have the lyrics to Iron Maiden's Quest for Fire not sound like they were written by a 7 year old

Because they wrote around his limitations ldo. If they'd had a drummer capable of playing faster, more aggressive, and more complex material there's no telling what they would have done.

And as you mentioned, Hoglan was a songwriter with a penchant for complex, proggy thrash. I think it would have been a really interested combination.

Horseshit, give an example of where that might be the case outside of a song like Dyers Eve (which is very simple in terms of guitar work anyways). Unless you're just speculating that they could have or should have been Watchtower, in which case you could say that basically everyone held them back.

I think Kirk was the one they could most afford to lose at the time tbh. The other three were huge creative forces behind the band's sound and their status was such that they could have picked any lead player they wanted.