Is 80's Metallica overrated?

To look back on it, and experience their older albums today isn't the same as living through the time period when Metallica was the shit. Metal has evolved much since then. It's been years since i've listened to early Metallica, after the Black Album I just lost interest.

To look back on it, and experience their older albums today isn't the same as living through the time period when Metallica was the shit. Metal has evolved much since then. It's been years since i've listened to early Metallica, after the Black Album I just lost interest.

I think you have a good point. It is understandable for newer metal fans to not totally understand the impact that something like 'Master Of Puppets' had when it has been copied/borrowed from/inspiring nth times over, or to hear Napalm Death before there was a 'grind scene', or understand how truly brutal Suffocation were - not that I am saying it is necessarily a bad thing, just a different perspective.

When I listen to Metallica nowadays I tend to avoid Kill em' all and Ride the Lightning just because of their "dated" production/sound and relatively slow pace and I prefer live recordings,
because the songs have so much more energy performed live;
Also when you listen to something a billion times over and over again you are bound to get bored and start to look for something new (at least I did) but nonetheless I don't think their old stuff is overrated at all.
It doesnt' have to give me a blast every time I hear one of their classics but still I know how important their music is for metal today.

lol how can you say that Kill 'em All and RtL are relatively slow paced? They're the fastest albums in their discography.

people who say that metallica of the 80's are overrated generally tend to be youngsters who never grew up with them (and tend to be the same people who say that slayer are overrated). this means that these people cannot comprehend just how groundbreaking their first 4 albums were at the time. what is more, if you cannot hear the influence of metallica practically every metal band that came out in ther last 15 years, then you need to really have a good look at yourselves.

even opeth on bwp sound like metallica at times.

i went to see them twice in the last 2 years and they still fucking destroy, despite being slightly lax in their musical ability as a band at times (this is a minor criticism). agreed their efforst in the studio have been pretty sub standard since AJFA, but this is immaterial to this thread.

as in terms of how they are now Id say no. I was thinking Metallica didnt even hit mainstream until Justice For All, but what doI know? In the 80s I was only exposed to stuff like Pink Floyd, Ozzy, Aerosmith and other crap. I was rapedof the 80s music "sigh"

The question is kind of vague to me, it's kind of like asking 'Who is the best guitarist?'

However, you said that you feel people are wrong when they say it is the pinnacle of metal, and I agree. I think they are overrated as the pinnacle of metal, and this is generally true for all the popular metal bands.

But, as Metallica were at the forefront of thrash they had alot of influence extending to other bands.

Kir, I believe that the OP was referring to their general ability rather than an ability relative to their time period. I think lots of bands far exceed Metallica but Metallica maintains a big fanbase, at least compared to these other bands. To me, that seems overrated.

Absolutely not.
If you lived through that time, you'd understand.
They broke the door open for metal, and all the bands you see today can thank them for it.
They were the pioneers and the godfathers. You're welcome
Post-Justice is another story...

Songs written by teenagers still celebrated 25 years later by almost 3 generations of fans in arenas and stadiums around the world.

And it s all about Jaymz' right hand.

The rhythm right hand of God.

Downstrokes Only.

Bitches.

I think the seminal metallica albums captured the quintessence of what metal is all about. Not just revolutionary in a musical sense, but in a political one as well. There's something inherently anti-establishment about those albums that I don't think has ever been captured by any other metal band.... before or since.

To be honest though, all those hundreds of hours listening to metallica eventually brought me to the point where i can hardly stand to listen to powerchord-based metal. Or open E riffing of any kind.

I think the seminal metallica albums captured the quintessence of what metal is all about. Not just revolutionary in a musical sense, but in a political one as well. There's something inherently anti-establishment about those albums that I don't think has ever been captured by any other metal band.... before or since.

To be honest though, all those hundreds of hours listening to metallica eventually brought me to the point where i can hardly stand to listen to powerchord-based metal. Or open E riffing of any kind.

there goes thrash metal