Is 80's Metallica overrated?

When you say Metallica is overrated, you're not saying you dislike them, you're denying the influence they had.

Since when are we using your definition of 'overrated'?

We aren't. Specifically, I'm not. 'Overrated' is a purely subjective term, and has nothing to do with something that can be objectively quantified like influence, unless the statement was made that Metallica's influence is overrated (and nobody said that).

We're talking about what Metallica's music means to you. Not what they mean to other metal bands you might like.

But if you like other metal bands then Metallica means something to you (unless your completely ignorant of said metal band's roots) even if you dislike Metallica. That's the point.

That isn't the point at all.

We're talking about how you feel when listening to Metallica's music, not about when thinking about Metallica the band.

How does their music compare with stuff that has come since? Not in the sense of being influential or groundbreaking, but in the sense of satisfying you as a listener?

This is a personal topic that somehow is trying to be turned into an objective one. An objective look at Metalllica's influence was never the intent, since I think that's pretty obvious.

You never specified that. All you said was "are they overrated" which I interpret as "hmm...was Metallica's influence really that big and were they really a decent band?" and of course there's a huge yes for both. If you had said, "do you like metallica," then there would be way more room for disagreement. My bad though, misinterpreted the whole damn thread.

Well, I did kinda imply that I was talking about the music in the OP, when I mentioned that people still refer to Metallica's 80's material as the best in the metal genre.

I could have made it more clear, though. Sorry.

You've made it clear what Metallica means to you, though: a good band but not one of your favorites. Which is pretty much where I stand.

There's a difference between disliking something and calling it overrated. You're allowed to dislike any music you want. When you say Metallica is overrated, you're not saying you dislike them, you're denying the influence they had. So now that I've cleared things up for you, I'll let you reconsider, is '80s Metallica overrated? Please forget your personal opinions of their 4 little CDs and instead consider the countless sounds they've delivered you in the form of heavily influencing other bands.

yes, yes they are :)

you see, Swedens population is around 10 million people. I'd guess that some 9 million of them heard of Metallica, and 6 millions heard more than one song by them, as they are played on the radio every day, and you can see them on the TV and so on. Everyone knows what Metallica is, cause you can't avoid not knowing it, unless you are senile.

I once had a discussion about music with my class. They asked what genre I listened to, and I simply said "Death Metal mostly". that started a wild discussion about bands playing death metal. half of the class went "Oh, Metallica! they are great!", and then some smartasshad to open his mouth with the awful words, which still today disturb my brain.
- NO! Metallica is not Death metal you stupids! he's listening to Rammstein and Slipknot! that's reaaal death metal.
I just sighed and asked if they ever heard of bands like Devil Driver, Opeth, Lamb of God and so on (not claiming they are all death metal).
but obviously, my class just went quiet.

so what I'm saying in a slightly retarded way, is that every fucking one in sweden know about Metallica, but not one single dumbtwat ever heard of what I consider better music.

not saying that any of those bands deserve more credit than Metallica, but at least 1/50 of what they have gotten.

Funny, I always thought that "overrated" compares popularity against objective quality of certain things (in this case Metallica's 80's records), or should I say, how deserved that popularity is.

Their 80's record are not overrated simply because they're awesome albums...timeless if you want. They created some kind of staple in metal (at least the more mainstream one, but also in general). Their enormous popularity can't shade that fact.

There are a lot of bands which I don't even bother to talk about them on forums because if I do, that thread will become a flame war thread. Examples of bands: Metallica, Dream Theater, Nirvana, etc. Some of these "overrated" bands are actually pretty good, but among the forums there is a fashion in which is "cool" to bash those bands.
Sorry for the offtopic.

Meh. Slayer is fun sometimes but all of their songs are pretty forgettable.

No, Slayer were great.

There are a lot of bands which I don't even bother to talk about them on forums because if I do, that thread will become a flame war thread. Examples of bands: Metallica, Dream Theater, Nirvana, etc. Some of these "overrated" bands are actually pretty good, but among the forums there is a fashion in which is "cool" to bash those bands.
Sorry for the offtopic.

Yeah it may be cool to bash certain kind of bands and its cool to like others. There's always the tendency to believe that the earlier material of a band is the best and their later work sucks or something. I bet many metallers do not admit to liking/hating some bands out of fear of being bashed.

How do you feel about each of those bands in particular. Dream Theater are medicore I think. Nirvana were a good band. Metallers just hate them because they made grunge popular which put metal out the mainstream spotlight. I do not think that matters anyway.