Is it important to have long hair??????

shredguitarman

Learning to Live
Aug 11, 2002
Manchester, UK
www.mp3.com
I used to have really long hair up until around 4 yrs ago when I decided that to get a job I'd need to look a little more presentable....

I feel this has seriously affected my credability as a Metal Guitar God!!!:cry:

No-one believes I kick ass through a Dual Rec now..

What do you guys think???

Is long hair an essential part of being a Metal musician now...

(exclude Satch... he's from another planet..)...

How many of you do NOT have long hair!!!!!!!

I've never had long hair. Then again, I'm not very good at guitar (I've only been playing for about 2 years) so it's not like I have a reputation to be ruined. Personally I don't give a crap what a musician looks like, it's how well he plays that matters.

I have long hair, it is essential, buy a wig or hair extensions, ur salvation depends on it. Do you really think I would buy any Symphony X albums without the abundance of hair? Of course I wouldnt! Do you dare confuse me with someone open minded?! I listen to death and black metal for crying out loud!

:lol: :p

seriously...just play, image does matter a tiny bit, you gotta have a "look" whether it be baldie, or long hair, or whatever. You gotta find ur look stick with it, and let ur playing do the talking.

Thorns....

Of course you are right.. the playing should speak for itself and believe me it does...

But you know what it's like when you tell people you play... with long hair people KNEW I was a metal god.... now they just expect me to play Simon and Garfunkel or something (not that there's anything wrong with them...)

Suppose it's good for the shock factor though... that first downtuned D5!!!!

I have beautiful short hair and I think Im not so bad at the bass :p
But to have long hair is so important as using white shoes in shows or clips in the 80's :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol haha nope dont think its important..
look at John Petrucci.. though many ppl dont like SDOIT album and thats his 1st with short hair...
i love it though :)
just keep playing and forget your hair! lol

I think it's not necessary, buuuut girls love men with loooong hair... :p So I think that's the good reason to have a long hair. :D And it might bring some attitude too... ;)

But I think it has nothing to do with making music; you can't make better music just because you have a long hair...

I have long hair, it almost reaches(?) my butt:)p) but I'm girl... :)

Edit: Goddamn, a typo!:(

I personally don't take rock/metal musicians with short hair seriously. For example, I saw Dream Theater in London earlier this year and John Petrucci looked liked some session guy getting paid $5 an hour to play blues in a pub when he wanted to play jazz in a wine bar.

I have very long hair and am very good at playing 6 string bass.

I tend to lose respect for guys who chop off their hair, but even though I still respect Petrucci as a great musician, I have given the guys in Symphony X a ton more credit for keeping their image cool! I say don't be afraid of long hair!

I don't think it matters. Personally, I have a weakness for long haired men (yummy..hehe), but the bottom line is, not everyone can earn a living with their music, and not every employer is gonna go for the long haired look. So sometimes the hair has to go..and if it comes down to choosing between long hair, or feeding your family, then how lame are you if you choose the hair?

Long hair is about as vital to musical ability as wearing black shirts or leather pants..it's all window dressing. IMO, If someone is going to let outer appearance influence their opinion of someone's music, then they're paying attention to the wrong (read: not truly important) stuff.

IMO Its not important the long hair ... I had long hair some years ago.. and cut it off because I was tired of it.. ya know washing it ,, and stuff.. :ill: so.. I don't think if a musician have short hair or long, matters.. if he makes good music thats what it counts ;)

Originally posted by metalchic
I tend to lose respect for guys who chop off their hair, but even though I still respect Petrucci as a great musician, I have given the guys in Symphony X a ton more credit for keeping their image cool! I say don't be afraid of long hair!

Oh so because my hair started to fall out, and it was beyond my control you have no respect for me? Wow another case of the typical metal bimbo.

BTW Barbie, I went from this,

JCAR.jpg

To this,

JCbald5.jpg

And think I look damn good both ways!

:lol: too many people are taking this seriously, it seems.

Of course it's important. I had long hair for a long time. Then I cut it short when I started uni, and my playing went drastically down hill. I couldn't do alternate picking or right hand tapping.
Now that I've grown it long again, my playing has drastically improved and I can headbang without looking silly (ok, headbanging always looks silly, but less so with long hair).

John Petrucci is exempt from this phenomenon because he is a God.

Grow your hair again, Shredguitarman, and start eating huge legs of chicken without cutlery!! YEAH!!!!!!! Carry an axe!! YEAH!!!

I love long hair and it is somewhat crucial for me, but I assume that musicians make music with their instruments, not with their hair, right? And besides, some of the best musicians have short hair...
The music is what counts, nothing else!

Yeah good arguments from both sides!!!! but have you seen the 'Satch Tapes' video??

Nignel Tufnel explains the virtues of having long hair and playing guitar..... he let's his hair touch his strings at strategic points to get the clearest, bell-like harmonics known to man...

Shame you lost the video.....

I always thought Satch looked rather cool.....maybe just shows how obsessed I was with him!!!

you know that guitar in the Big Bad Moon vid is the one he give to Brian May....