Languages and those who violate them

@rahvin: how the hell does one translate 'adolescenti tamarri' in english? :D

fireangel said:
I have never noticed any institution in fact suggesting translations of new English words which would be sipping into German.
Opitz is dead, and that's good, imho ;)
it makes no sense to replace words forcefully. (though admittedly, some things do hurt to hear/read.)

btw, you surely know about lexica by Duden and also Mackensen, who do suggest translations.

(would you really want computer being replaced by elektronische Rechenanlage? it's too long, and these days are short of time =))

p.s.: my intention is not to talk against you all the time, i'm only trying to express that (imo) this is not the real problem a language is facing these days, but rather the knowledge of how the language "works".

There is a german word for computer btw.. it's "Rechner".. and it's being used just as often as "Computer" I think

@Tal: You are absolutely right there. The funniest thing though is when we translate a technical text from german and they use computer and rechner in one sentence (or display and anzeige). Sometimes there are even combinations of 3 such words, then its really "entertaining" to translate such text. :loco:

fireangel said:
It is possible that in Italy or France there are certain reasons for avoiding foreign terms, justified or not, but my post was not about this kind of integration.

maybe just because most of the french are really bad at learning foreign languages (have you ever heard french people speaking english? its soo funny) :p

I don't know about the other countries, but the Finnish kielitoimisto is a government-issued institute, whose purpose is to preserve Finnish language and find suitable substitute words for most foreign words. The reason behind this is the belief, that the survival of Finnish culture is dependant on the preservation of Finnish language (which is a very small language). Thus, kielitoimisto will suggest newly created Finnish words every time a new foreign word comes into Finnish language. If people find those new words better than their English(or in the past often Swedish/Russian/German) counterparts, they will use them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But to me it looks like they are really trying their best.

For example, a decade or so ago they tried to find alternatives for "live action role play" aka LARP, none of which people used (choosing the deformed word larppi instead). But there are also plenty of examples that have stuck with everyday language.

-Villain

Villain said:
The reason behind this is the belief, that the survival of Finnish culture is dependant on the preservation of Finnish language (which is a very small language).

ah, thanks! :) i was positive about the intent having a lot to do with cultural self-preservation, as it always does in these cases.

god bless we didn't invent the "milch-jieper" :)
as for EDV, i never encountered a professional EDV guy who used that word or abbreviation, it just sounds so eighties-esque... ancient, even.

btw: are the ferrero-spots on television in your country as bad as they are in germany? everytime i get caught by one of them, i want to kill, maim, burn...

what's so bad about the german ferrero spots? ok they are not better than any other commercial spot but what does them make so bad? ok one of them is so awful. kinder bueno. it is an italian lesson. and the teacher tells about italian words and their german meanings. and at the end she says "bueno means joy." AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH. Since I learn a bit italian after school (two lessons every week) I was told that it's wrong because "bueno" is spanish, not italian.

Blitzkrieg Pajo said:
what's so bad about the german ferrero spots?

what do you mean, what's so bad? it's an italian lesson. to german people. that's enough to short-circuit even the most open-minded of us. remember we're talking about a (target) language that in the past century has been practiced with some sort of meaningful literary results only by friedrich durrenmatt (switzerland) and falco (austria). ;)

:D you have to admit, small children proclaiming with a high-pitched, excited voice while strolling through the park on their ponies that their snack-of-the-day tastes like "...as if the cereals just fell into the milk!" is a) the crown of realism, b) i dunno, you have to see the spot i guess.

and i have to admit i forgot the most obnoxious commercial of all time is indeed a german one: [nasal voice]KIK - Der Textil-Diskont![/nasal voice]

ferrero is evil
I know why I dont have any television
but I like that in france they try to invent new french words to preotect their language from anglicistics and foreign words.
f.e. e-mail is couriel or walkmen is baladeur
(hm I think this frenchthing was mentioned earlier :ill: )

Well.. "courier" is just "mail" then and not "e-mail" ;)
And the youth picks up a lot actually, most people say "email". I guess the french youth isnt as arrogant and filled with the desire to protect their language from the evil of the world as the older generations

Malaclypse, please spare us with your sig :/ Merkel is such an abomination.

well ok the KIK commercial is really horrible. and i know why i don't remember the ferrero spots. i rarely watch tv, only if I'm totally bored after masturbating 5 times or if something good is being broadcasted.

Taliesin said:
Well.. "courier" is just "mail" then and not "e-mail" ;)
And the youth picks up a lot actually, most people say "email". I guess the french youth isnt as arrogant and filled with the desire to protect their language from the evil of the world as the older generations

its couriel not courier:Smug:

anyway this merkel thing is horrible