Learning Swedish?

What tag do you use to post your youtube videos? I just used the standard [youtube] tag, but I don't get that wonderful frame.

Haha, Anders och Måns are really funny. I love their top 3 lists, too. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with the style of humor of these different gangs. Especially the dude who plays Pelle on Nile City. He is seriously, seriously funny.

Nile City is pretty classic. First thing Kim showed me when we started dating.. "Vuxna män gör saker tillsammans..." :lol:

Dude, I don't use or type anything, I just post the link :p

Yeah, there's some seriously smart, subtle and ironic comedy in Sweden. Like that "vuxna män gör saker tillsammans", it's not really punchline comedy, it's more the whole situation of a bunch of buff men doing homoerotic stuff together, although never going the whole way.

Ah thanks! Slampa! :p

So how would you say: "I wonder why that slampa at the metal karaoke left when I talked to her in English?"

"Jag undrar varför denna slampan lämnade när jag pratade med henne på engelska?"???

edit: "engelska" of course, not "svenska". at least noone noticed, hehe :p

"Jag undrar varför den slampan drog när jag pratade med henne på engelska?"???
Det funkar. :p Men slampa är nog inte ordet du letar efter. Kanske hagga? Surkärring? :lol:

I shall clarify in English: So, my understanding (after asking my local Swede to be sure) is that in Swedish "slampa" is pretty much "slut". And you wouldn't really use it unless you're talking about a chick sleeping around. Though, it is becoming more common for young dudes to call chicks "hora" (whore) because they're assholes.. but they also usually have sideways caps and look like they live in the 'hood (despite coming from pampered, socialized Sweden—another rant for another day).

If you wanna call a woman a bitch, then there are other words. Though, I try not to insult people a whole lot and I always think that it doesn't feel right to swear in a language that isn't your own, though like all foreigners, I do it anyway in Swedish.

"Jag undrar varför denna slampan lämnade när jag pratade med henne på engelska?"???

edit: "engelska" of course, not "svenska". at least noone noticed, hehe :p

Google translate? ;)
You should leave "denna" out, and instead of "lämnade" you should probably use "gick".
Also, in the ending you might want to try "pratade/snackade engelska till henne" instead of "pratade med henne på engelska?". Both are correct, but the first is more commonly used. Also, "pratade" and snackade" means the same, although I'd say "snackade" is more commonly used. (actually, if I remember correctly "snackade" is just slang in Swedish, but if you go to Denmark "snakkede" is the valid word for it)

Oh yeah, and I changed "med" (with), to "till" (to) since you didn't actually get a reply :p

An in fact, as an interesting note, a lot of words that are slang or considered old fashioned in Swedish are in fact valid, or have a slightly different meaning, in Danish and/or Norwegian, and vice versa. Like the word by, in Danish and Norwegian it means city, while in Swedish it means village.

Det funkar. :p Men slampa är nog inte ordet du letar efter. Kanske hagga? Surkärring? :lol:

I shall clarify in English: So, my understanding (after asking my local Swede to be sure) is that in Swedish "slampa" is pretty much "slut". And you wouldn't really use it unless you're talking about a chick sleeping around. Though, it is becoming more common for young dudes to call chicks "hora" (whore) because they're assholes.. but they also usually have sideways caps and look like they live in the 'hood (despite coming from pampered, socialized Sweden—another rant for another day).

If you wanna call a woman a bitch, then there are other words. Though, I try not to insult people a whole lot and I always think that it doesn't feel right to swear in a language that isn't your own, though like all foreigners, I do it anyway in Swedish.

Google translate? ;)
You should leave "denna" out, and instead of "lämnade" you should probably use "gick".
Also, in the ending you might want to try "pratade/snackade engelska till henne" instead of "pratade med henne på engelska?". Both are correct, but the first is more commonly used. Also, "pratade" and snackade" means the same, although I'd say "snackade" is more commonly used. (actually, if I remember correctly "snackade" is just slang in Swedish, but if you go to Denmark "snakkede" is the valid word for it)

Oh yeah, and I changed "med" (with), to "till" (to) since you didn't actually get a reply :p

I actually pointed out/corrected it. :p

I changed it to: Jag undrar varför den slampan drog när jag pratade med henne på engelska?

Apparently no one reads my posts. :Smug:

Google translate? ;)

No, thanks... -.-'

At first I wrote "till" but then I became a bit unecure and looked it up in the dictionary and it said "med" so I changed it...

To get to know which words are common slang and which are rather old-fashioned one should be living in Sweden for a while. Quite hard through the internet...

I changed it to: Jag undrar varför den slampan drog när jag pratade med henne på engelska?

Sorry, but I can't find the post o_O

Ha ha ha, ok, yeah. I see what you mean. I did read the post, but I didn't pay that much attention to the quote part. You're quite right.

@ Thidrek:
I didn't think you used GT, I was only messing with you :saint:

Oh, it's because I corrected you in my quote. So I quoted you, and then I corrected it.

And in my experience, tobz, "snacka" is very uncommonly used and I was also told to pretty much never use "till." Though, I'm not sure whether that's just a Norrländsk thing or something.

Actually it was Thidrek you quoted, but it doesn't matter ;)

Hmm, could be because I'm from the most southern part of Sweden, but we use "snacka" very often.
About "med" or "till"; "med" indicates that there is a twoway conversation going on, whereas "till" is when there is only one person diong the talking (take for example "det är som att tala till en dörr" meaning that you speak to someone without getting any response).
As conversations most oftenly go both ways, "med" is automatically the most common word to use, but as I said it seemed to me that the point of the original story was that there was no response from the girl. That's why I changed it to "till".

To complicate things even more, I think it is usual nowadays to use "med" in sentences where "till" would be the correct one, although I'm not sure if the language has evolved far enough to make it "legal", as it were.

Yup, that was the impression I had: med implies two-way conversation. OK, so then I had it right. That's good to know. :p

That's actually one of those common English mistakes, that we say in Swedish "pratar till" the whole time. And yeah, btw, it seems like in the north of Sweden I never ever heard "snacka" but now that I'm in Uppsala it's come up more often. Also, the woman at Skatteverket mistook me for Norwegian because of how I said 'sju' as well. Weird.

Hey guys!! Great thread :O.

Well, I just wanted to share some links for you in case you are interested in learning swedish or any other language. Perhaps there are some languages missing but I guess they'll be added soon. Enjoy!

http://www.101languages.net/swedish/
http://www.livemocha.com/

If you have some money you can always use the Rosetta stone site as well, but this are for free xP.

Take care!

Hey guys!! Great thread :O.

Well, I just wanted to share some links for you in case you are interested in learning swedish or any other language. Perhaps there are some languages missing but I guess they'll be added soon. Enjoy!

http://www.101languages.net/swedish/
http://www.livemocha.com/

If you have some money you can always use the Rosetta stone site as well, but this are for free xP.

Take care!

Rosetta Stone is great, but so expensive. The one thing that they've got that no one else seems to have is pronunciation testing. Which I think is totally awesome. It made me realize how much trouble I have with certain vowels. It was also fascinating to use.

I use Swedes for my language acquisition adventures.. :lol:

Rosetta Stone is great, but so expensive. The one thing that they've got that no one else seems to have is pronunciation testing. Which I think is totally awesome. It made me realize how much trouble I have with certain vowels. It was also fascinating to use.

I use Swedes for my language acquisition adventures.. :lol:

I've always looked for pirate versions of Rosetta Stone, but found none. Are there any?