meaningful death metal

biggsy

New Metal Member
Sep 18, 2005
Bendigo, Australia
www.myspace.com
hey everyone

im trying to get more into death metal, a bit heavier than opeth and stuff. but im finding a lot of bands (cannibal corpse, COB etc.) have no meaning whatsoever in their lyrics. It wouldn't really bother me if Opeth had meaningless lyrics, because the music is so passionate anyways, but I'm having trouble listening to these bands because they just have nothing to say. Anyone got any good meaningful death metal bands for a DM n00b to listen to?

cheers

morbid angel...thats all i have to say...they are by far my favorite "tr00" death metal band. they have beauty, extra-terestrialness (is that a word?)
and they are brutal...and trey makes his guitar sound like a living, breathing thing.

ill dl a little later. good old 28.8K dial up. i'm still downloading the sorskosen mordet i grottan song that mikael sings in swedish in. and the estimated time left is still 36 mins... god i hate living in country australia:(

Splintered Vision said:
Nile - All their songs have something to do with the history of their homeland (Egypt)
Nile are from South Carolina.

Oh yeah, and try some Decapitated, Suffocation, and definitely Cryptopsy, they always have great lyrics, especially None So Vile.

^^you just beat me to it lol It was wierd because i was just reading an interview with Chuck before i checked this board.

But yea, to the threadstarter, you should definitely check out Death. Like Kenneth said, they are full of meaning. And its just great, intelligent music.

Death
Cryptopsy
Nile
Katatonia
Edge of Sanity
Vader
Strapping Young Lad (not death metal by any shot, but the lyrics are still usually somewhat intelligent)

Splintered Vision said:
Nile - All their songs have something to do with the history of their homeland (Egypt)

They're American. Only the drummer, Kolias, has anything other than American ancestry (Greek).

Novembers Doom
Cryptopsy
Nile
At The Gates
Suffocation

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Strapping Young Lad (not death metal by any shot, but the lyrics are still usually somewhat intelligent)

"YOU BASTARD!!!
Know, know, KNOW
I HATE YOU!!!
EVERYTHING...everything, EVERYTHING...
is WRONG!!!
And I don't want to fight...
Because I don't know what's
WRONG or RIGHT
But I'll do ANYTHING just to get some
FUCKING sleep tonight...
And I can't even EAT
And I can't even FUCKING PISS!!!
All I've been doing is thinking about
GOD and DEATH InFiNiTy!!!!!"

:/

"YOU BASTARD!!!
Know, know, KNOW
I HATE YOU!!!
is WRONG!!!
WRONG or RIGHT
FUCKING sleep tonight...
And I can't even EAT

LMFAO. It took me awhile...That would have been the most random insult...made my day.

Death is the best for lyrics that are a little more "thought-out"

but to me, CC's "I cum blood" and "Fucked by a Knife" are deep introspective journeys

Godhead's Lament said:
"YOU BASTARD!!!
Know, know, KNOW
I HATE YOU!!!
is WRONG!!!
WRONG or RIGHT
FUCKING sleep tonight...
And I can't even EAT

*snickers*

So, mutilating babies and tearing out their livers for food isn't meaningful enough for you, huh? :err:

Gorgasm, Impaled, Novembre, Vital Remains, Zyklon, Aborted, Carcass, Behemoth, Agalloch... Just some bands with interesting lyrics instead of the usual 'fuck' bands.

Splintered Vision said:
Swallow The Sun - More of a Death-Doom band though

Thats all i can think of for now
WHO THE FUCK TOLD YOU NILE WAS FROM FUCKING EGYPT?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
that's the sunniest fucking thing i've ever heard in my entire life.
karl sanders, pharoah of the 666th dynasty rotflmao!!!