Melodic Death Metal

I listened to quite a bit of melodic death early on in my foray into metal because I couldn't imagine enjoying something that intentionally overlooked melodies in the songwriting, but a quick listen to Suffocation and various other brutal death bands soon had me hooked and I went for quite a while without listening to any of it. Dark Tranquility's The Gallery got me back into it.

Is 1995's Sentenced Amok album melodic death-metal..this song i'm pasting doesn't sound like it but other songs on the album you can dispute...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm already familiar with Intestine Baalism. anything else? preferrably stuff with elements of prog and doom in it.

I listened to quite a bit of melodic death early on in my foray into metal because I couldn't imagine enjoying something that intentionally overlooked melodies in the songwriting, but a quick listen to Suffocation and various other brutal death bands soon had me hooked and I went for quite a while without listening to any of it. Dark Tranquility's The Gallery got me back into it.

That album's the only reason why I'm still into the genre by any degree. That and a couple Hypocrisy albums.

I never liked "The Gallery" but I really need some Hypocrisy. I've barely heard them. "The Gallery" just is not my thing at the end of the day.

Osculum Obscenum is easily the best by Hypocrisy, not really melodic death though. Abducted has some killer melodeath tracks on ti though.

Penetralia singlehandedly restored my faith in the über-distorted, pre-Gothenburg Swedish melodeath scene. It also revived my love for the band after beginning to tire of the mainstream influence of Virus.

I always viewed Virus as Hypocrisy's message that "our drift towards the mainstream has been revoked and we're back in true form", that and they plan to re-record Catch-22 into a more death metal-oriented album. We'll see how that turns out.

I never liked "The Gallery" but I really need some Hypocrisy. I've barely heard them. "The Gallery" just is not my thing at the end of the day.

Just get Virus and Abducted. Get the former if you're a sucker for big production jobs.

Just get Virus and Abducted. Get the former if you're a sucker for big production jobs.

I'm not really a sucker for big production jobs, I just can't get into The Gallery. I will eventually get more of their stuff. A lot of people say "The Gallery" got them into Melodic Death, but it's kind of the album that turned me off to it.

Penetralia singlehandedly restored my faith in the über-distorted, pre-Gothenburg Swedish melodeath scene. It also revived my love for the band after beginning to tire of the mainstream influence of Virus.

I'm probably going to get that album for Christmas from my family.