Melodic death Metal

That sounds really awesome. I checked out their myspace a while ago and don't remember being particularly blown away, but this sounds pretty kickass, so I'll give it another go.

OK, I'm listening to "Insomnium's "In the Halls of Awaiting"... I think it's pretty damn killer. I'm glad I got turned on to this. I think it's far from fresh sounding, but maybe that's just because I'm getting into them late. I DLed all their albums, so I'll have to wait to see which one I like best.

I've never really listened to any of this genre, can someone rec me some essential albums. Didn't want to a make a whole new thread, and the rec forum is mostly bands not albums.

I just found this band today: Archeon now known as Made of Hate

They sound a little like COB except the vocals are more death...

70076.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/archeontheband

http://www.myspace.com/madeofhateofficial

I like Amorphis and Dark Tranquillity.

I also enjoy Norther at the moment. Insomnium is great sometimes.
...and probably more I don't remember.

Meh.

I was psyched after hearing the title track, but the record as a whole was a let-down.

If I had to pick a melodic death album for 2008, I'd probably choose Hollenthon's Opus Magnum.

I've never really listened to any of this genre, can someone rec me some essential albums. Didn't want to a make a whole new thread, and the rec forum is mostly bands not albums.

At the Gates - Gardens of Grief
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
A Canorous Quintet - As Tears
A Canorous Quintet - Silence of the World Beyond
In Thy Dreams - Stream of Dispraised Souls
In Flames - Lunar Strain/Subterranean
Amon Amarth - Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds

To name a few.

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Dissection - The Somberlain
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
At The Gates - Gardens of Grief
At The Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy of the Beast
Intestine Baalism - Banquet in the Darkness
Unanimated - In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead
Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil
The Moaning - Blood From Stone
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer

It seems this topic is discussing and recommending two different styles of music. On the one hand, we have Gothenburg stuff like The Jester Race (which is a great Gothenburg album, though it obviously isn't very death metaly, so it fails in that category) and melodic death metal stuff like The Nocturnal Silence.

I just think this distinction needs to made clearer as people are getting shot down for what is essentially two diverging musical styles (i.e. ObscureInfinity anti-recommending The Jester Race, probably on the terms that it is not a death metal album) which could mislead less-informed others.

Me, V5, and MalignParidigm have been saying that throughout the thread but it never seems to register with people. :erk:

I don't really consider early At The Gates, early Unanimated, or Necrophobic to be particularly "melodic" enough to merit the term.

I'm not a fan of this type of Melodic Death Metal...but it's probably going to be the next wave of Melodic Death Metal..here's a review..From the north of Spain comes this promising band. Powerful Melodic Death Metal decorated with taste, potent riffs, progressive passages, involved melodies, neoclassical details, piercing and melodic voices... the base is without doubt death metal, the result of all their influences is... WALDHEIM.

http://www.myspace.com/hogardelbosque