Melodic death Metal

The Black Dahlia Murder is like scenesters poorly ripping off newer AT The Gates,etc.. and even saying that is pushing it.

What's with this crap about accusing people of being scenesters?

Anyhow, I thought Unhallowed was blatant AtG worship, but it was also superior to Slaughter of the Soul imo. The last 2 they've moved into their own style.

And can you really call it "newer" when it's almost 15 years old?

Crown of Thorn's debut is some pretty kickass melodic dm, but nothing can really touch the Karelian Isthmus or TRITSIO in terms of the best melodic death albums. I also think that Intestine Baalism should be a little more hyped. Some of their riffs can be very melodic(which can be either a good thing or a bad thing) and the vocals just fit perfectly with the music.

The old Swedish scene was absolutely full of short lived bands that actually released quality albums without completely forgetting that they were playing a form of Death Metal.

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of this sub-genre should trace the roots and familiarize themselves with these names: A Canorous Quintet, A Mind Confused, Ablaze My Sorrow, Cardinal Sin, Ceremonial Oath, Chastisement, Crown of Thorns, Decameron, Desultory, Embracing, Eternal Lies, Eucharist, Excretion, Gates of Ishtar, Godgory, Hypocrite, Infernal Gates, Miscreant, Sacrilege, Scheitan, The Moaning and Unanimated.

Early stuff is better in all cases.

I'm not so in to melodeath. The folkier stuff like Ensiferm or Amon Amarth is good.

Dark Tranquillity
Insomnium
Kalmah
Hollenthon (I consider them symphonic/melodic death metal)
Eternal Tears of Sorrow (sometimes they sound more like power metal with harsh vocals)
Amon Amarth
In Flames

I've never been a huge fan of At The Gates. I always preferred In Flames and Dark Tranquillity.

I enjoy Hearse now and then yeah. i look at Arch Enemy as the true followers of Carcass's Heartwork album.

I'm not so in to melodeath. The folkier stuff like Ensiferm or Amon Amarth is good.

wat

Amon Amarth are imo the closest thing to a straight up death metal band in melodic death metal. Instead of doing what bands like Black Dahlia and Paths of Possession do where they mix death metal riffs with melodies, AA are pure melodies, but in a really brutal fashion somehow.
Their melodies sound far closer to classical than folk.

And Einsiferum aren't melodic death metal at all. They're just folk metal.

At the Gates
Intestine Baalism
Eucharist
Eternal Lies
Hypocrite
Autumn Leaves
The Everdawn

Too hard for 5 tbh

Btw, listen to Malign. It's basically an entirely different genre nowadays.

Ensiferum surely are partially melo-death metal, Windrider (their flagstaff song on the debut) is a prime example.

Everyone should listen to Intestine Baalism btw. New album sometime this year probably (Ultimate Instinct)

Ensiferum surely are partially melo-death metal, Windrider (their flagstaff song on the debut) is a prime example.

Everyone should listen to Intestine Baalism btw. New album sometime this year probably (Ultimate Instinct)

Intestine Baalism are cool.
But based on the Einsiferum I've heard (the s/t), there's no death metal in there.