Metal >/< Classical? Metal Vs. Classical?

hmph, who gives a fuck what those pretentious dicks have to say anyway?

I was hoping to be humored, but, they failed at that.

Ah! Shit, I missed this thread... I think a piece off of Emergent by Gordian Knot would have been great.

KielbasaSausage said:
their knowledge of music barely surpasses that of your average korn fan. i wouldn't worry about what they have to say.

Wow, and I thought there were too many elitists on these forums! Every single member on that board immediately struck me as an asshole.

wow...
those anus people are something else.
but closed-midedness happens all over the place, including here, so i guess that's that.
and i am continually impressed by your collection of man-and-catfish pictures.
anyway, i am all for musical "fusion"--so keep it up.
my current fave new band is gogol bordello who do ukrainian-gypsy-punk.
so you know where i'm at, and that's on your side all the way.
t

every single word in the anus.com thread contains more stupidity than your average tv-talkshow. arrogant foolishness meets musical blindness meets elitism. bitching for the sake of bitching. makes them feel better. im impressed.

id not even think of bothering about such people.

The Scourge said:
Excellent rebuttal. Well...........you call Ihsahn's style adventurous, and I suppose I could concede to that notion. But it really bothers me to hear some parts of that album(prometheus), because it would really appear that he is trying to follow the rules of counterpoint through a Bach-esque vehicle. He really exemplifies that he has only an incredibly modest knowledge of theory, and his "fugues" and "canons" are ultimately failures as they simply have a beginning, and end, and just a whole lot of nonsense in between. If you want "adventurous" counterpoint, and by that I mean what Ihsahn attempted to do with melding traditional ideas with modern sonic musings, then look no further than Ferrucio Busoni, preferably his piano concerto and later. But as far as metal goes, not one band has impressed me thoroughly when counterpoint, that is, traditional counterpoint is being used as a demonstrable commodity.
Except maybe for Sigh. You mention Schonberg(overrated in my opinion; Alban Berg was the REAL gem of the Second Viennese School), so perhaps you have heard the song "12 Souls" off of the Hail Horror Hail album? That is the only occurence of serialist music I have ever found in metal, at least deliberately anyways.
I can see exactly where you're coming from. And I haven't heard Hail Horror Hail by Sigh, although I've heard their other stuff. It is very interesting and I dig it! But perhaps I haven't listened enough to find the contrupuntal techniques in it. I'd agree with your assessment of Busoni, and also Berg, although I'd say that even though Schonberg is indeed overrated (atonality was perfected to a greater extent in the Debussy Preludes!!) he does have some brilliant and beautiful contrapuntal compositions.

ControlledChaos said:
I can see exactly where you're coming from. And I haven't heard Hail Horror Hail by Sigh, although I've heard their other stuff. It is very interesting and I dig it! But perhaps I haven't listened enough to find the contrupuntal techniques in it. I'd agree with your assessment of Busoni, and also Berg, although I'd say that even though Schonberg is indeed overrated (atonality was perfected to a greater extent in the Debussy Preludes!!) he does have some brilliant and beautiful contrapuntal compositions.
I must say, I am very impressed with your knowledge of twentieth century composers. Glad to hear you like Busoni; his elegies for orchestra, particularly the Berceuse Elegiacque, are just so lush and extravagant. You should really listen to his magnum opus, Doktor Faust, if you haven't already, or his other masterwork, the Fantasia Contrapuntistica.
Perhaps I haven't given Schonberg enough of a chance? His style seems to emotionally sterile to me, except maybe for Erwartung. But compared do a Berg epic like Wozzeck or Lulu, it just doesn't even begin to stack up. But Debussy is just wonderful, although I hated his little hate campaign he had going against Tchaikovsky. But his preludes are great, especially La Cathredrale Engloutie.

why is it that the quality of a piece of music has to be defined by how close it is to some old, dead blokes? i mean, why is it them who is considered 'right' when it comes to musical theory? who said they could define it? hmm im not phrasing this very well really..

also, what is counterpoint?

Here are your best shots.

Im serious. Listen to Me. This is the closest your going to get.

in order of Importantce:

1. Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity

2. Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain, Universal Mind, or Another Dimension

3. Spiral Architect - Spinning

4. Symphony X - The Death of Balance

You arent going to win. Your teacher is what we call at my music school, i believe the official term is;

A Fucktard.

hes an ignorant uneducated Classical Weenie.

ANd i bet the pussy cant Improvise.

Im sorry you dont have someone with a broader mind or more contemporary education as a teacher. I dont put much stock in people who fail others for attempting to think outside the box.

Vio