most overrated albums?

How anyone can fail to find something special in either Hvis Lyset Tar Oss or Thousand Swords is beyond me, both are absolutely amazing. Certain other albums by those bands are definitely overrated though. Demoncy are kind of a one trick pony on each album, but there's reason and passion behind it and it works. Same applies to Transilvanian Hunger. Beherit are inconsistent, but the power of, say, 'Sadomatic Rites' cannot be denied. Antaeus are difficult to get into but worth sticking with. Mutiilation... moments of brilliance amongst mostly just decent stuff. Still Life is one of the more annoying Opeth albums, all Megadeth (and Maiden) is overrated, Mayhem are overrated by certain cunts and probably a little underrated by most serious BM listeners, Candlemass aren't overrated in the slightest - their weaker albums are underrated if anything. Never really given Obituary or Deicide enough attention so I reserve judgement there.

*deep breath*

Personally I never really saw the appeal in Enslaved, Cenotaph, Atheist or Dismember, not awful or anything but meh. Never really got Varathron either, though I like them. A Blaze in the Northern Sky never, ever holds my attention.

early Enslaved rules, you're deaf if you can't see the "appeal" in Dismember, and ABITNS is Darkthrone's best IMO.

as far as Graveland goes, their best is In The Glare Of Burning Churches.

I've noticed this before, but you (ohiogrinder) always claim to like the most abrasive of any given band's material, no matter how good it actually is.

you have to keep in mind I came from the punk/hardcore/grind scene. I mean, I actually enjoy noisecore, for crissakes!

It took me several listens to appreciate Varathron. I couldn't even keep myself awake at first while listening to His Majesty at the Swamp, but this stuff is really potent and sweeps you off your feet eventually.

In the Glare... Graveland's best?! It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could prefer it over The Celtic Winter, which contains a few of the same songs and is overall quite similar albeit much better ('The Return of the Funeral Winds' is arguably the best song to come out of the Graveland demo period).

I agree with Atheist's Unquestionable Presence being overrated. I've always preferred Piece of Time.

mosh097.jpg

I mean, I actually enjoy noisecore, for crissakes!

is that you actually admitting you have shit taste in music?? kudos :kickass:

re: Varathron - I didn't find it at all hard to get into ... if you are talking about worship, i doubt that will ever happen for me, but i found it almost instantly enjoyable.

re: fates warning 666's comments; just fyi. i totally disagree with almost everything you said.

In the Glare... Graveland's best?! It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could prefer it over The Celtic Winter, which contains a few of the same songs and is overall quite similar albeit much better ('The Return of the Funeral Winds' is arguably the best song to come out of the Graveland demo period).

I agree. Carpathian Wolves is easily the best of the pre-TS stuff though methinks.

And Varathron aren't hard to like, they're pretty accessible really, but I've seen people spewing praise all over the place as if they're absolutely amazing, and I can't hear that. They have a strange, seductive feel that I quite like but it doesn't do masses for me.

I've actually been doing a lot of comparative listening between Altars and Blessed and now I certainly prefer the latter(which is one of the reasons I've finally bought it:cool:). BATS is doomy and somber which is more to my liking. And the vocals are fantastic. Altars has a lot of great riffs, but often sounds like a mishmash.
I prefer Blessed are the Sick as well. The riffs are a little bit better as a whole, and the music just seems to have more "feeling." I still do like Altars, but simply don't agree with the popular opinion that it was the best death metal album ever recorded.

Other overrated albums:

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes (very good death metal album, but not in my top 5)
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours (see above. also, it is hard to get into the album's sometimes awkward riffing style)
Gorguts - Obscura (it is too dissonant and weird for me, and many other death metal fans, to get into. I'll take Erosion of Sanity over this any day)

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes (very good death metal album, but not in my top 5)
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours (see above. also, it is hard to get into the album's sometimes awkward riffing style)
Gorguts - Obscura (it is too dissonant and weird for me, and many other death metal fans, to get into. I'll take Erosion of Sanity over this any day)

All top 10 for me, top 5 in fact for the latter two.

I prefer Blessed are the Sick as well. The riffs are a little bit better as a whole, and the music just seems to have more "feeling." I still do like Altars, but simply don't agree with the popular opinion that it was the best death metal album ever recorded.

Other overrated albums:

I agree with TRiTSiO to an extent. It's definitely overworshipped, especially on this board. The album just doesn't have a natural flow to it, and some songs aren't very coherent, but rather jump up and about, which can be pretty annoying. Just listen to "Claws Of Laughter Dead". The sound is really abrasive, not organic at ALL(I've never understood why people claim TRitSiO has an organic production) and so it's hard to listen to with headphones on, due to the stop/start nature of many tracks. I may have convinced myself that it's better than I actually perceive it to be:p.
That said, I really enjoy the album, since its composition is quite interesting on the whole, but I just view it as well-played technical death. All the otherwordly atmosphere that it supposedly possesses, well I just don't hear it, it sounds pretty one-dimensional most of the time.

I agree with TRiTSiO to an extent. It's definitely overworshipped, especially on this board. The album just doesn't have a natural flow to it, and some songs aren't very coherent, but rather jump up and about, which can be pretty annoying. Just listen to "Claws Of Laughter Dead". The sound is really abrasive, not organic at ALL(I've never understood why people claim TRitSiO has an organic production) and so it's hard to listen to with headphones on, due to the stop/start nature of many tracks. I may have convinced myself that it's better than I actually perceive it to be:p.
That said, I really enjoy the album, since its composition is quite interesting on the whole, but I just view it as well-played technical death. All the otherwordly atmosphere that it supposedly possesses, well I just don't hear it, it sounds pretty one-dimensional most of the time.

It's worth reading the lyrics when listening to ATG, they provide an avenue into the music moreso than with most bands. Though they've always been a bit inconsistent, their best stuff is my favourite metal - it moves me hugely. That may say more about me than about the music itself, but even so, I definitely recommend giving them plenty of opportunity, it took me ages to get TRITSIO in particular. My favourite tracks are actually on the second full length, but much of that album is a mess.

I absolutely disagree about flow btw, it certainly doesn't flow in a conventional manner but it all hangs together beautifully.

Absolutely everyone who has spent a significant amount of time on that album disagrees with you, you know.

The same thing can be said about any classic album, but some albums dazzle and fascinate you(hit you over the head, so to speak) , while others just hover around and never land. This is the case with me and TRiTSiO. The musicianship is really impressive, but that's all that really stands out for me on the album, and I enjoy it for that alone. Can't really shake the feeling that I'm listening to a collection of songs rather than an album.

There is no fucking way that Piece of Time is better than Unquestionable Presence. Furthermore, Atheist is not overrated.