Most overrated and underrated bands ever

I think Code are pretty underrated. Artillery don't get enough praise as they should (besides from the few of us here at GMD). Axis of Perdition could use a little more praise (IMO).

I can't really think of any overrated bands that haven't already been said.

SheisMySin said:
What the heck?

How are CoB and Metallica overrated?

LOL

COB - they invented a whole new sound of melodic death metal in my mind.

Not death metal.

Metallica - They are getting PANNED universally, and have been for a LONG time. For a DECADE they have been insulted and made fun of.

Maybe because they've been shit for at least that long.

..They are right up there with Ozzy, Maiden, Sabbath as far as pioneers of the scene.

Doesn't mean they're not overrated.

>>>Maybe because they've been shit for at least that long.

I'm just saying they are getting the appropriate feedback they deserve...and then some...

>>>>Doesn't mean they're not overrated.

Hard for me to call metal gods like them overrated - no matter how bad their last 3 cd's were. Any band would give their left nut to be as recognized and influential as they are.

Master of Puppets is on a very short list of best metal CD's ever.

Scott

Just out of curiousity - how old are you?

Like...did you experience the album when it first came out?

Hard to imagine anyone at the time thinking that album was overrated. It brought thrash to a whole new level and took it to places it had never gone before. Ride the Lightning too...

Scott

No I didn't experience it when it came out, but I can still make a judgement as to whether or not it lives up to the reputation it gets nowadays, especially compared to other albums from the same time.

Let's take just three other albums from 1986 - Pleasure to Kill, Darkness Descends and Reign in Blood. Without Master of Puppets, would thrash still have been in a great state at this time? Definitely.

Was Master of Puppets even bringing anything particularly new? Some melody you might say - perhaps, but not even as effectively as Ride the Lightening, and that's not to mention the lack of really THRASHY riffs. Several Master of Puppets tracks can be thrown away in my view.

And as for taking thrash to places it had never been before - well as mentioned above, it certainly didn't usher in any greater aggression or extremity like other 1986 releases did, which suggests you mean that it opened thrash up into the more mid-paced, accessible sound which Metallica (amongst others) would go on to refine into bland 90s hard rock.

I think thrash would have been perfectly healthy had Master of Puppets never existed. Metallica had already had their biggest impact in their formative years (which I maintain a grudging respect for), inspiring many other bands to play fast and heavy, but many of these other bands were the ones who took thrash to its most exciting lengths, and led to the evolution of death and black metal.

SheisMySin said:
What the heck?

How are CoB and Metallica overrated?

COB - they invented a whole new sound of melodic death metal in my mind. Bringing keyboards to the mix gave them a unique fresh sound that made a lot of other bands copy them. (Kalmah...) Yeah, maybe they aren't so "new" anymore, but they still paved the way and their first few albums are amazing. Alexi is an awesome guitarist as well....so he by himself deserves the praise in my mind.

Because they play powermetal with a child screaming and people eat it up as amazing.

Necro Joe said:
Or a collection of incredibly solid, memorable songs. Depending on your point of view :)

Heh, Ok then...

My Hit the Lights for your God that Failed
My Fade to Black for your Unforgiven
My Sanitarium for your Nothing else matters...

Soild? Are you sure you didn't mean staid? :erk:

No offence meant mate :kickass:

Hammer of Might said:
No I didn't experience it when it came out, but I can still make a judgement as to whether or not it lives up to the reputation it gets nowadays, especially compared to other albums from the same time.

Let's take just three other albums from 1986 - Pleasure to Kill, Darkness Descends and Reign in Blood. Without Master of Puppets, would thrash still have been in a great state at this time? Definitely.

Was Master of Puppets even bringing anything particularly new? Some melody you might say - perhaps, but not even as effectively as Ride the Lightening, and that's not to mention the lack of really THRASHY riffs. Several Master of Puppets tracks can be thrown away in my view.

And as for taking thrash to places it had never been before - well as mentioned above, it certainly didn't usher in any greater aggression or extremity like other 1986 releases did, which suggests you mean that it opened thrash up into the more mid-paced, accessible sound which Metallica (amongst others) would go on to refine into bland 90s hard rock.

I think thrash would have been perfectly healthy had Master of Puppets never existed. Metallica had already had their biggest impact in their formative years (which I maintain a grudging respect for), inspiring many other bands to play fast and heavy, but many of these other bands were the ones who took thrash to its most exciting lengths, and led to the evolution of death and black metal.
Ya know, it's shit like this that caused Erik to become a mod. He's gonna have a field day on this thread.

ender7227 said:
Ya know, it's shit like this that caused Erik to become a mod. He's gonna have a field day on this thread.

Why Ender? That's what I call an expression of his opinion. To be fair, I also think MoP is pretty over rated. I like it, but fuck, it isn't the Uber album that everyone thinks it is.

I think the Black album is TOTALLY underrated.

They aren't metal thrashy songs that Metallica was known for, but that CD yielded hit after hit after hit.

Scott

Carcassian said:
Why Ender? That's what I call an expression of his opinion. To be fair, I also think MoP is pretty over rated. I like it, but fuck, it isn't the Uber album that everyone thinks it is.
They got too pissed. If Erik does what he said he will, they're in trouble. Is it right? No. They're just stepping on Erik's toes, that's all. They can keep going, I don't care.

I'm not familiar with Darkness Descends....but Reign in Blood and Pleasure kill are still pretty fast paced.

MoP showed that you could still be heavy as fuck without speedy riffing (Thing that should not be).

Scott

The only thing I wish CoB would do would be to stray away from their proven formula. It'd be nice to hear them slow up their riffs.

I think most people just listened to them so much they take them for granted.

Scott

Carcassian said:
Heh, Ok then...

My Hit the Lights for your God that Failed
My Fade to Black for your Unforgiven
My Sanitarium for your Nothing else matters...

Soild? Are you sure you didn't mean staid? :erk:

No offence meant mate :kickass:

I didn't say it was better than the albums before it you big mean bully. There's never any love for the poor little black album...

Necro Joe said:
I didn't say it was better than the albums before it you big mean bully. There's never any love for the poor little black album...

That's because its the red haired child, and lets face it, no one likes a ginger...

ender7227 said:
They got too pissed. If Erik does what he said he will, they're in trouble. Is it right? No. They're just stepping on Erik's toes, that's all. They can keep going, I don't care.

Dude perhaps you shouldn't assume you know people better than you do, Erik's not a moron and he can tell the difference between people flinging poo for no reason and a normal, heated argument.