Most overrated and underrated bands ever

Overrated: Kreator

They are on the cusp of being good, but never quite get there. Completely bland material that flirts with great songs...but doesn't deliver asides from a few riffs.

Scott

I'll admit that I'm a fan of Metallica's self-titled. I rarely (once every few years) listen to it, but I think it's better than at least ...And Justice For All.

...And Justice For All will always be a great album for me as it's the one that got me into metal beyond the hard rock of Gun's and Roses. One was really the song that got me into metal.

Hearing "Blackened" for the first time made me giddy as it was totally evil compared to anything I'd ever heard before. (mostly just listened to 80's radio stuff)

Scott

Overrated: In Flames even though I like them a lot of their songs just sound all the same.
Underrated: Necrophagist I don't hear too much about them they kick ass

Colony was a masterpiece of melodic metal...I thought. But yeah...after a while, it's just all the same.

Scott

Pull The Plug said:
Thats probably because you like albums that do nothing new.

Ephel Duath = doing something new. true, there have been jazz metal bands before, but not too many and even fewer like ephel duath

so, I probably DO like albums that do do something new. (this is not to count frantic bleep, the various mike patton projects, sleepytime gorilla museum, ved buens ende and other bands I listen to...) I chose Darkness Descends over Master of Puppets because in terms of sheer speed/thrash metal, Darkness Descends is just non-stop. Master of Puppets is a decent record. But it's not high on my list.

and do I need to go into what new territories Metallica has gone into recently?

Old Ephel Duath is good, new stuff tries to do too much. It just loses all coherency and flow a lot of the time.

I wouldn't consider Ephel Duath actually doing something new, what they do has been done before.