Produce the next Opeth?

• Jens Bogren

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • Steven Wilson

Votes: 128 63.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters
are you referring to what mike said? that he only did the vox, i think it's a lie though, how could blackwater park be one of the albums steven is most proud of have producing if he only fixed the vox?

are you referring to what mike said? that he only did the vox, i think it's a lie though, how could blackwater park be one of the albums steven is most proud of have producing if he only fixed the vox?

It is a bit strange, I'll admit. But the fact is, Mikael has stated in multiple interviews that Wilson didn't do much, if any, non-vocal production on Blackwater Park.

Then you look at some Wilson interviews, and he talks about how he added all these layers to Opeth's sound that they lacked before.

Who to believe, who to believe...

It is a bit strange, I'll admit. But the fact is, Mikael has stated in multiple interviews that Wilson didn't do much, if any, non-vocal production on Blackwater Park.

Then you look at some Wilson interviews, and he talks about how he added all these layers to Opeth's sound that they lacked before.

Who to believe, who to believe...

Of course, there are also multiple interviews where Mike talks about how much he learned from Steven, and how much he looks up to and admires the guy. I think the point is that they both seem to work very well together.

And if you're looking to hear what SW's full-on production chops sound like, put the 5.1 mix of In Absentia into a great surround sound rig, kick back and bask in the awesome, then tell me who could've done a better job.

steve wilson, everything that man touches turns to gold, i love his production more than i like his music (although i love porcupine tree). i would buy an album just because it was produced by SW (assuming id heard good things about the band, orpahned land for example)

i see bwp - deliverance - damnation as a kind of holy trinity of opeths collection. sw made his own indelible mark on each and there so many amazing ideas on those 3 albums that are obv borne out of him working really well with mikael. you can see that so easily on the lamentations documentary. sw backing vox work really well too.

although as someone said before it could cause a rift with Per, as a lot of sw ideas come from ambience which Per has added his own stamp to in the last two releases. it would depend on whether or not there would be a clasj of personalities / opinions on the synths / trons etc.

Of course, there are also multiple interviews where Mike talks about how much he learned from Steven, and how much he looks up to and admires the guy.

And you can read Mike calling Jens the best person he's ever worked with in various places.

And if you're looking to hear what SW's full-on production chops sound like, put the 5.1 mix of In Absentia into a great surround sound rig, kick back and bask in the awesome, then tell me who could've done a better job.

What, the 5.1 mix of Stupid Dream is subpar now?

The only reason I'd care if it was Jens or Steven doing the album would be for the 5.1 mix. For the CD version of the next album, it really falls down to Mike how it sounds, and the CD version is the most important thing the band has to consider.

5.1 is a nice bonus to have, though, and Steven is definitely better than Jens at that.

i see bwp - deliverance - damnation as a kind of holy trinity of opeths collection. sw made his own indelible mark on each and there so many amazing ideas on those 3 albums that are obv borne out of him working really well with mikael. you can see that so easily on the lamentations documentary. sw backing vox work really well too.

Seeing the progression from Morningrise, to My Arms Your Hearse, to Still Life, I don't have any doubt at all that Opeth could've produced Blackwater Park in all its glory without Steven Wilson. The band was clearly improving dramatically with every new album in those days. And look at Opeth without Wilson - Ghost Reveries and Watershed sound even better than your Opeth trinity... at least to me.

The vocals would've changed, however.

And you can read Mike calling Jens the best person he's ever worked with in various places.

OK, this point is a wash. Flip a coin.

What, the 5.1 mix of Stupid Dream is subpar now?

HARDLY! I could've picked any of PT's 5.1 releases, and the point would be just as valid, IA just happens to be my personal favorite. And the guy's stereo mixes of these two records, for example, are also production masterpieces that I can't imagine anyone else improving. Don't get me wrong, I think Jens is also great, and would hardly be disappointed in hearing him get the nod, I just happen to prefer SW's style.

The only reason I'd care if it was Jens or Steven doing the album would be for the 5.1 mix. For the CD version of the next album, it really falls down to Mike how it sounds, and the CD version is the most important thing the band has to consider.

5.1 is a nice bonus to have, though, and Steven is definitely better than Jens at that.

Either of these guys would do a great job with either the stereo or the 5.1 mixes, it's really splitting hairs and personal preference as to who you'd prefer to do it.

Seeing the progression from Morningrise, to My Arms Your Hearse, to Still Life, I don't have any doubt at all that Opeth could've produced Blackwater Park in all its glory without Steven Wilson. The band was clearly improving dramatically with every new album in those days. And look at Opeth without Wilson - Ghost Reveries and Watershed sound even better than your Opeth trinity... at least to me.

The vocals would've changed, however.

I'm sure they could've done a great job, just not as good, IMO. As for the "progression", the musical approaches in both songwriting and overall sound have changed greatly since BWP, speculation on whether or not the last two releases would or wouldn't have sounded better with SW at the helm are just that, speculation. Steven's own chops have improved and "progressed" over the same period as well, as have Mike's as a songwriter and an ever-more confident producer in his own right. Again, it's all personal preference, but I think you'd have to admit that both guys would do a great job. Hell, I'm not so sure that the real best man for the job might not just be Mike himself at this point!

Alright, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people don't have a preference between SW's and Jens' actual engineering, but people feel threatened that Opeth's sound will be influenced by Wilson whenever he's involved, while Jens will look to Mike for instruction. For some of us, Opeth + SW sound is a good thing, and for others, it's not. Yeah?

Either of these guys would do a great job with either the stereo or the 5.1 mixes, it's really splitting hairs and personal preference as to who you'd prefer to do it.

That's what I've been saying, regarding the stereo mixes anyway. Both are good choices, but Jens is who Opeth is with these days until we hear differently. That's why I don't see the point in wishing Wilson back.

And I believe Mike when he says that he's been Opeth's 'real' producer since the early days, and that the co-producers are mostly just there for the technical know-how stuff, so I think the albums would turn out the same with either one of them.

I disagree about Jens being as good as Steven with the 5.1, though. I don't care for the Watershed 5.1 mix, and think the Ghost Reveries one is really bad... I think they both would've been sublime if Steven had done them.

I said Jens... engineering wize I guess if that's what he did on GR.... but it's just a personal preference as I'm a big fan of crisp clean production. I thought GR still sounded organic as opposed to manufactured if that makes sense... just super clear and I like that.

i agree.

GR has my favourite production on ANY album - period.

I disagree about Jens being as good as Steven with the 5.1, though. I don't care for the Watershed 5.1 mix, and think the Ghost Reveries one is really bad... I think they both would've been sublime if Steven had done them.

The guy does have a gift for the 5.1 mix, doesn't he? I mean, listening to any of the PT 5.1s on a good rig is like musical sex, I almost need a cigarette when it's over! I could handle it if Jens did the stereo and Steven the 5.1 for the next Opeth record. Congratulations, we've reached a compromise!

Now, someone get Mike on the horn and tell him we've worked out his production structure for him! :lol:

I could handle it if Jens did the stereo and Steven the 5.1 for the next Opeth record. Congratulations, we've reached a compromise!

Now, someone get Mike on the horn and tell him we've worked out his production structure for him! :lol:

Samsara needs to contact Mike, right away!