NFL 2018

Had one eye on the screen while responding before. From what I’m seeing the Saints finished 1st, Cowboys 2nd. The Cowboys were 13th last year, so there doesn’t appear to be evidence of some systematic conspiracy against them.

What I mean is that teams facing Dallas are called for fewer penalties than when teams face other teams. I went and checked again since I hadn't looked in a few weeks, apparently the Saints passed them in this category, while Dallas is still far and away in first for least beneficiary yards (this likely has some to do with fewer PIs on deep passes due to scheme, but still).

Btw, the teams both finished with 36 penalty yards. Seahawks had 5 penalties, Cowboys had 6. So biased!

Seahawks were straight mugging guys at the end (long the MO of that secondary), and those yards don't show the TD return wiped out.

Anyways, sucks that Cowboys won, but I’m not surprised. This is an actually a good team designed for the post season. I hate to say it, but I think they can go far, especially if they face the Rams next week. If they play the Rams it will basically be a neutral site game.

I'm not ready to go Scooter McGruder on this team yet. Dak is making better throws here at the end of the year and Zeke is running hard, but the secondary has been giving up 3rd downs and 4th downs too much here in the last 4-5 games. The Rams would likely be a better draw than the Saints, but NO isn't that far from Dallas - lotta Dallas fans in the area. Bigger issues are that track of a field for the Saints to run around on, and Brees > Goff.

Totally non-sequitur observation: Man, Janikowski looked like he needs to go on the Biggest Loser. No wonder his hammy quit on him.

What I mean is that teams facing Dallas are called for fewer penalties than when teams face other teams. I went and checked again since I hadn't looked in a few weeks, apparently the Saints passed them in this category, while Dallas is still far and away in first for least beneficiary yards (this likely has some to do with fewer PIs on deep passes due to scheme, but still).

I get what it means. Like I said, someone has to be last. Seeing that they didn’t finish near the bottom last year, the simplest explanation is that was luck, and not the league saying, “Hey let’s make sure and purposefully sabotage our most popular team to hurt our own ratings!”

Seahawks were straight mugging guys at the end (long the MO of that secondary), and those yards don't show the TD return wiped out.

Didn’t notice the “mugging” you are referring to, but also was also watching the game pretty casually once Dallas went up 10.

As for the wiped out TD return, it was an obvious call, and the fact that you keep bringig it up as if it was some massive injustice shows just how biased you are. But we all knew that already, so I’m not gonna waste any more time going back and forth on this play.

I'm not ready to go Scooter McGruder on this team yet. Dak is making better throws here at the end of the year and Zeke is running hard, but the secondary has been giving up 3rd downs and 4th downs too much here in the last 4-5 games. The Rams would likely be a better draw than the Saints, but NO isn't that far from Dallas - lotta Dallas fans in the area. Bigger issues are that track of a field for the Saints to run around on, and Brees > Goff.

They’re rightfully the underdogs in either game, but certainly can win. I personally think Brees is about to go on a three game tear, regardless of who he plays, but obviously Dallas already showed they are capable of beating and outplaying them.

Totally non-sequitur observation: Man, Janikowski looked like he needs to go on the Biggest Loser. No wonder his hammy quit on him.

Lol I’m blown away he’s still in the league. He looks like some fan from the crowds ask to join the team in some B movie.

Didn’t notice the “mugging” you are referring to, but also was also watching the game pretty casually once Dallas went up 10.

As for the wiped out TD return, it was an obvious call, and the fact that you keep bringig it up as if it was some massive injustice shows just how biased you are. But we all knew that already, so I’m not gonna waste any more time going back and forth on this play.

I didn't say it wasn't a legit call, I said it was ticky tack. More to the point, it wipes out points and like 60-70 yards or something, even though it was only "10 yards" or whatever. Not all penalties are equal, and the yardage doesn't always tell the tale.

Well, so far I'm 3/3. Come on Bears!

Damn that game had me hyperventilating. Didn’t think we could win with Foles having two turnovers and Trubisky actually playing pretty good (we did blow a few int opportunities in the first half). However, Foles led a hell of a drive at the end, and then we got the luck we needed with the missed field goal.

Trying to remember the last time a kicker got this kind of insanity thrown at him. Maybe just the twittersphere but Jesus Christ Chicago :lol:

Was pulling for the Seahawks, guess I'm a Chiefs fan here on out then. Anti-Saints of course being an Atlanta fan. Would like to see a Rams or Eagles vs. Chiefs Superbowl!

3-1 last week on my picks. This week is surprisingly tight for divisional weekend, as I can see any of the underdogs pulling off the upset.

Chiefs over Colts
Rams over Cowboys
Chargers over Patriots
Saints over Eagles

I guess I'll ditto this. The betting line on the Cowboys Rams game is absurd imo. Pulling for Rivers but Brady/Belichick have had his number.

Yeah, my choices don't really reflect the outcomes I'd like to see either (Cowboys game excepted, of course). I'd love to see Chargers come away with the win, but Foxborough is a place to go in January. Rivers' record against the Patriots doesn't help.

I've been a big fan of Mahomes this year (who hasn't?), but Luck has proven he can put up similar numbers and the Colts have a big edge on the defensive side of the ball. The X-Factor for me in this game is how much pressure Kansas City's impressive front seven can put on Luck and how much this pressure with throw Luck off his game.

I would also like to see Philly come out on top over the Saints, though not for the comedy of Foles magic. I feel much better about Dallas' chances against Philly in Dallas than Dallas in New Orleans against Brees. But for that same reason, I don't see Philly pulling through--and if they were to, that cause me concern about them coming to Dallas :lol:

More general commentary on the Cowboys: I'm glad they've finally become a team with not only a winning home record, but a dominant one. It was rather strange how they played more like they were at home when they were away with Romo under center.

Reactions: Dak
I went 3-1 in the WC round too, only game I didn't pick right was the Eagles beating the Bears but eh what can you do.

The Colts have me all fucked up right now. My hope has been that they do achieve success, but my expectation has always been that they'll probably come up just short, and I'm ok with that. Example: Making the playoffs was a bit of a pipe dream, I certainly thought they could but I didn't think they would.

WC game with the Texans, I knew they could beat them, but with the Texans being a division rival, it could have gone either way honestly. I expected they would hang around and more than likely would end up losing on a last second field goal by the Texans. Then they came out and curb-stomped the fuck out of them and I'm like, well, shit, this pleases me. Is this team really that good or are they simply on a roll? It's too early for them to be steamrolling teams, whether they're the Texans or not, in the playoffs when the odds of them making the playoffs were so small when they were 1-5 and looked like a big turd of a team.

Now, going into KC, on paper the Colts are fucked, and I realize that and agree. But...the Colts are built to beat them, and then when you factor in the weather, they have a real shot! So, my expectation is they lose, but there is a very good chance they go in there and upset the Chiefs. So, while I'm hoepful, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.

All I have to say is, the playoffs this year are great. All of the possible match-ups look very entertaining and that's all you can ask for. It kind of reminds me of the the playoffs from 2000-2008/9. Expectations are one thing but the results are all over the fucking place.

Anyway, my picks:
Colts (homer pick)
Cowboys
Chargers
Saints

You might be the only person on the planet to want a Cowboys-Patriots Super Bowl. I don't give a shit about the Cowboys, but I wish you nothing but pain and suffering and anguish and death for hoping for the Pats to make it to another SB.

gtfo

Guess ill give it another shot.

Colts over Chiefs
Rams over Cowboys
Patriots over Chargers
Saints over Eagles

@King Richard - im even worse then, since as a Pats fan I prefer they get to the SB and win.

You might be the only person on the planet to want a Cowboys-Patriots Super Bowl. I don't give a shit about the Cowboys, but I wish you nothing but pain and suffering and anguish and death for hoping for the Pats to make it to another SB.

gtfo

Well the alternate would be playing the Colts for revenge for this season and SB V. I just don't think that matchup bodes well for Dallas, while I think NE may be the weakest team still in the playoffs. Also, again, if Dallas doesn't make it to the SB I'm pulling for the Chargers.

Probably the most 'expected' picks, but:

Chiefs over Colts
Rams over Cowboys
Chargers over Patriots
Saints over Eagles (though very much hoping the opposite)