Nu-metal international

Windom Pearl

HUGGY!!!!
May 31, 2001
Tampere, Finland
www.farmakonband.com
Have you guys in your own countires noticed this phenomenon about nu-metalling with your mother's tonque? Or....rapping with your mother's tonque, it seems to be more common. (Though it's basically the same thing.)

I think it's hilarious :lol:

Allright, we've talked about this, and I know you must hate it, since you hate nu-metal in general. But I was just wondering, if it is a common thing around the world, and not just us the YankeeDoodleFinns.

And still. I could actually do it. A sure way to be a HIT and get some money. The music I'd do with a heart would never support me. But I don't know...could it even be possible to write music you don't actually give a shit about?

It's a hard life :)

I don't know about all of that, but I want to know if this is the "Extreme Metal" forum why is there 3 "nu metal" threads? Maybe because nu metal is extremely terrible?

Originally posted by winter-frost
this is the "Extreme Metal" forum why is there 3 "nu metal" threads? Maybe because nu metal is extremely terrible?

I'd say it's just because lately NU-'metal' bands have sprung into pretty much any media available in numbers and hence causing commotion (and havoc among "more serious metal fans").

Let them do their act and keep their "fuck everything, yeah, fuck!" attitude if that's something they get kicks out of. It's not like Opeth or Katatonia or Blaze or (insert your 100 favourite metal bands here) are going to lose any fans because of NU-metal. Even though some death/black/whatever metal fan happens to like NU-metal and buys a, say, Limp Bizkit CD, it won't do any harm to our (too) little underground metal scene.

Two totally different genres, two totally different scenes.

Yeah but it does take up valuable airplay time on radio and space in supposedly metal magazines....

Originally posted by winter-frost
I don't know about all of that, but I want to know if this is the "Extreme Metal" forum why is there 3 "nu metal" threads? Maybe because nu metal is extremely terrible?

* sigh *

Maybe you had liked me to insert the question to "Progressive Metal/Rock", then? Or "Traditional/Power Metal"?

And as you may have noticed, all the threads concentrate on conversating about how total crap nu metal is. Isn't that what TRUE EXTREME METALLISTS do all the time anyway? And not limited to judging nu metal they are. Actually, any metal not from Norway is totally false shit :lol:

The local breed of this freak of nature called nu-metal here in Japan go by the name RIZE. Utter shite. And I had to listen to it on the ski hill all winter, lucky for me I spent most of my time out of bounds.
Maybe some of the Norwegians should set up a death squad, whose job who be to stamp out nu-metal. I sure any court would find that killing nu-metal would just be like a mercy killing.

I can't begrudge nu-metal for taking up airplay on the radio and press coverage any more than any other nonartistic crap music genre because the simple fact is that regardless of the presence of nu-metal REAL metal will never get covered in mainstream magazines or played on the radio.

It exists to give the younger spectrum of the masses something to mindlessly smash stuff to. They'll never exist in the same spheres as progressive and other art-oriented and not entertainment-oriented artists, they're irrelivant as is thier music... a flavour of the week (to quote a random popular pank band I've had the misfortune of hearing). The next trend will come in and nu-metal will be forgotten about... it's too bad that it's giving people a misconception about what metal in the underground might be like, but again, one misconception or another will exist regardless. I see nu-metal as a source of humour and a target for occasional venting, but let's recognize that that's all there is.

Fred Durst. Heheheheheh. Sorry, the image the name conjures is humourous in and of itself. I see him on the cover of SPIN or whatever it was doing his little karate-chop pose with Wes "I have a weird tuning! That makes me a good guitarist!" Borland standing behind him with his "look at me" contact lenses and outlandish get-ups. Heheh. Hooo....

Oh, and luke, I believe the killing of a nu-metal band (much like the killing of one who steals your Opeth CDs) falls under the realm of justifiable homicide.

The thing is, supposedly metal mags like Metal Hammer put Korn and shit like that on the cover, which surely could be devoted to something decent.

Similarly, here in Australia there is only a certain amount of time that station managers allocate to metal, and if some of that is taken up by 'nu metal'......

Well, okay, Metal Hammer have followed an unfortuante middle-of-the-road direction and are covering non-metal shit, which sucks, you're right. But there's still a few good magazines that cover real metal (Terrorizer, The Pit, etc. I recommend BW&BK... although, do they distribute that far? Hmm...)

As for radio, even if they allocated time to metal, do you think they'd ever play anything extreme? I mean, like, ever? With the exception of occaisionally college radio shows (or so I've heard) the most metal the airwaves ever seem to get is new Metallica shit and numetal crap.

Windom Pearl scribbled:
Actually, any metal not from Norway is totally false shit :lol:

Eherm... to be a little patriotic here... since Sweden has ruled over both Norway and Finland, and is in herself a large producer of metal (lets forget Germany for a while), I think that should be if it's not from 'Sweden or a former part thereof', it's totally false shit. Thank you. :p

Now, on the topic of "nu-metal"... I have yet to run into Scandinavian "nu-metal", although there are plenty of fans of it. Maybe it's because I wouldn't touch 98% of all "nu-metal" with a surgically clean five foot pole, though...

HoserHellspawn uttered:
It exists to give the younger spectrum of the masses something to mindlessly smash stuff to. They'll never exist in the same spheres as progressive and other art-oriented and not entertainment-oriented artists, they're irrelivant as is thier music...
Would you toss Alice Cooper into that classification... and KISS? I'm sure we can find plenty of very entertainment-oriented artists that are also music-oriented artists... likewise I'm sure there is a lot of non-musical cursing and general jibberish with a "cool" and "happening" look (at the moment: what Alice Cooper used to do --speaking of which, did anyone see the CNN special on "Shock Rock" last week?)

Well, in a word, yes.

Anybody is certainly free to correct me if I'm wrong, but in terms of music and not stage presence, did either KISS or Alice Cooper do anything noteworthy, original, revolutionary, or influential? I know people have been influenced by them... take for example Rob Zombie. He claims to be heavily influenced by both, but in terms of what? Song structures, or attitudes?

I recognize your point that sometimes, bands come along and straddle that line of art and entertainment, but I've seemed to find that more often than not, they tend to be very easy to place into one camp or the other, whether they're popular or obscure (although, there often does tend to be a definite pattern of which is which, doesn't there?)

KISS influenced a LOT of people...you'd be suprised in interviews how a fucking lot of heavy metal musician of today talk about their first music album they got being a KISS one, so it's the first touch they had of music...

Oh and the make-up...so black metal! Hehe...

>since Sweden has ruled over both Norway and
>Finland, and is in herself a large producer of
>metal (lets forget Germany for a while), I think
>that should be if it's not from 'Sweden or a
>former part thereof', it's totally false shit.

As I'm sure you're aware, Germany has ruled Norway on occasion too, and the Swedish 'neutrality' during that time was a sham. Purism is such a flawed concept, although I'll agree that mallcore is in no way better than your general make-me-lots-of-money pop band, and I confess I try to avoid anything from the u.s.

Originally posted by Protocol
As I'm sure you're aware, Germany has ruled Norway on occasion too, and the Swedish 'neutrality' during that time was a sham. Purism is such a flawed concept, although I'll agree that mallcore is in no way better than your general make-me-lots-of-money pop band, and I confess I try to avoid anything from the u.s.

I'm sure you're also aware of that Germany soon after was ruled by "the Allied"... the United States included.
So basically... there's good music and there's crap everywhere... the U.S. are just very good at producing the latter and being proud of it. :)
....there are a few good metal bands from there, though... only they're burried under the likes of KoRn and Limp Bizkit, who're further burried under marketing creations like Britney Spears.

Originally posted by tenebrose
Eherm... to be a little patriotic here... since Sweden has ruled over both Norway and Finland, and is in herself a large producer of metal (lets forget Germany for a while), I think that should be if it's not from 'Sweden or a former part thereof', it's totally false shit. Thank you. :p

Aw, you got me wrong. I was trying to be sarcastic. You see some years ago, maybe still, there was this attitude in Finland, that all the "TRUE EVIL BLACKMETAL" had to be from Norway. Bllrrh. It was terrible.

Originally blurred by Windom Pearl:
Aw, you got me wrong. I was trying to be sarcastic. You see some years ago, maybe still, there was this attitude in Finland, that all the "TRUE EVIL BLACKMETAL" had to be from Norway. Bllrrh. It was terrible.

Of course you were sarcastic... and I'm not really patriotic.
If I truly thought that you believe only Norway produces good metal I'd shake my head and ignore you because it obviously wasn't worth my time. :)

Originally posted by Zerokelvin
Do Finlanders hate Norwegians to say evil music comes from there? lol

No, I'm talking only on behalf of myself. And I think that no matter who says they do evil music, or true music, or true black, or whatever similiar, there's only one reasonable thing to do to someone like that: A shot in the back of the neck.