Nu-metal

death metal sucks, the singers have to growl/scream everything to hide the fact that they don't know how to sing.
Or maybe they, you know, choose not to sing so they can have a different vocal style? Also, why the fuck has this not been moved to non-metal?

Well, most people here will tell you that vocals are secondary in metal. Which is one reason why nu-metal isn't really metal. Without the vocals, nu-metal is terrible and boring.

Well, most people here will tell you that vocals are secondary in metal. Which is one reason why nu-metal isn't really metal. Without the vocals, nu-metal is terrible and boring.

really? I thought the vocals were one of the most important parts in metal songs.

Nu Metal is cool. There are some very good bands out there. SOAD has done some fantastic stuff. Disturbed are very good along with early Staind and early Korn.

Bottom line is, if YOU like it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

To be honest, these bands must be doing something right they're certainly selling records.

Nu Metal is cool. There are some very good bands out there. SOAD has done some fantastic stuff. Disturbed are very good along with early Staind and early Korn.

Bottom line is, if YOU like it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

To be honest, these bands must be doing something right they're certainly selling records.

yeah, I agree nu-metal is good but I never thought SOAD was nu-metal, I thought they were like something between death metal and speed metal.

really? I thought the vocals were one of the most important parts in metal songs.

I personally think the vocals are important, but a lot of people here admit to never even listening to the lyrics. Metal is a very instrumentally driven genre, and its musical parts usually dominate the song. Nu-metal is not an instrumentally driven genre. There's a focus on lyrics that isn't present in metal (the subject matter is usually more practical in nu-metal), and the instrumental parts are not interesting enough to hold the listener's attention on their own.

I personally think the vocals are important, but a lot of people here admit to never even listening to the lyrics. Metal is a very instrumentally driven genre, and its musical parts usually dominate the song. Nu-metal is not an instrumentally driven genre. There's a focus on lyrics that isn't present in metal (the subject matter is usually more practical in nu-metal), and the instrumental parts are not interesting enough to hold the listener's attention on their own.

I completely agree with you on that particular point.

But that doesn't mean the music sucks. It may be different, but different is good.

I usually listen to the lyrics more than the instruments in the back unless it's a guitar solo

I used to like a decent amount of "Nu-Metal". But now since I've discovered more interesting metal I rarely come back to it. It is just really boring and bland.

Lol @ death metal vocalists "covering up the fact that they can't sing". Listen to some Opeth dude, greatest gutterals and some of the warmest clean singing all from one man.