Octavarium Clips

The new DT album unfortunately is a complete flop it doesnt hold up to anything that they have done in the past...musically its not to bad with some killer playing by JP but other than that, the album is a waste ecspecially compared to SFAM or SDOIT

The Yngster said:
Oh, and we'll just pretend that little rap section on Honour Thy Father never happened...

I thought that part was fun. Really! :D

Figures we'd disagree...and no, I was NOT just fishing for a disagreement! ;)

Luis said:
Kevin Moore: We miss you a lot :cry:

He WAS good, wasn't he? One word: AWAKE! :)

Divine Wings Of The Machine said:
i didn't say you couldn't express your opinion, i just think you and others are nuts. that's all. on a side note, michael romeo liked train of thought. i heard him say it with my own two ears. he said he likes images and words better, but he hardly thinks their better days are over. that's just romeo's opinion, and he has every right to express it like anyone else. i just don't think romeo is crazy though. :loco: :headbang:

If Romeo really said that he's been smoking some seriously strong shit lately.

I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here. You guys are pissing your pants over low bitrate 30 second long samples. Some of them from songs exceeding 10 minutes long. I wouldn't even get that excited over new SymX clips that were 30 seconds long. Or new Rage clips for that matter.

lets wait to hear some actual composition before we start saying how awesome (or shitty) this album is going to be.

Yo Divine whatever your name is, Symphony X is one of my absolute favorite bands,

Romeo says he likes Train Of Thought, do you really think I give a shit? he is entitled to like whatever he wants, that doesn't change what I think.

I have the whole album, thats the only reason id put my opinion out, as well i have the new Demons and Wizards album also :) but THAT being said it IS an opinion and a sad one at that because im a huge DT fan so the last coupla albums for me have been kinda :( compared to their previous works

the clips weren't that spectacular, but hey they are 30 second clips of long songs and cheap sound quality too. So far only Panic Attack stuck out to me, because of the ending synths and choir sounds.....I love synths and choir, that's one huge reason why I love Symphony X.

Lacrymosa1776 said:
I have the whole album, thats the only reason id put my opinion out, as well i have the new Demons and Wizards album also :) but THAT being said it IS an opinion and a sad one at that because im a huge DT fan so the last coupla albums for me have been kinda :( compared to their previous works

are you sure it wasnt Elements of Persuasion?

sknight said:
God forbid you mention SX over there, the shit hits the fan and splatters. They generate a war between DT and SX in their heads over there.

Good point, because of course we know that would never happen on the SX boards when one mentions Dream Theater would it? :rolleyes:

I have yet to listen to the clips, though I probably wont just because I have a crappy computer. I'll just wait for the album. I'm sure I'll like it as I have yet to be dissapointed by anything they have released. You guys can rip on them all you want for TOT or anyhting else they've released, but at least they are continuing to evolve as a band and continue to move in new directions with each album. No offense intended, but the same cannot be said about SX. Agree or disagree but at least give credit where it is due.

I don't understand why people are always pitting the two bands against each other. Both bands are pretty big fans of each other and have never had anything but nice things to say about each other. They really aren't even in the same class as far as style goes. Comparing them is like comparing Bach and Coltrane. The only rivalry is the one that ignorant fans create.

I for one am getting sick and tired of this immature war between SX and DT fans. It's as if SX fans are jealous that DT is more popular, and DT fans think their band is the "elite of the elite."

It's far worse at the DT boards, where Symphony X are constantly called "cheese" and associated with medieval warfare. It's as if DT fans are afraid SX is going to one-up them!

Who gives a damn!? Mike Portnoy thinks highly of Symphony X, and I know that Jason Rullo (and probably the rest of SX) listens to DT. I guess the fact that the members of both bands respect each other just isn't enough for some of their "fans."

Listened to the clips... Couldn't really tell much except that I thought it sounded like ToT(I didn't like ToT). I'm still hoping for the something good.<crosses fingers>

All the people bashing ToT, i would say its FAR better than the odyssey in my opinion, it just takes getting used to. I disliked it at first but after a while i grew to like it....DT havent released a bad album yet and I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

I have no idea what the next album will sound like but, "I miss Kevin Moore" like some people here. From an interview made by "Murat Batmaz (seaoftranquility.org)" with Threshold member "Richard West", I got this fantastic line that i completely agree with:

"Kevin Moore is not just a keyboard player, but he is also a very talented artist. If you compare today's DT with their past times with Kevin Moore, you can easily see the difference. Kevin was the one who controlls each of the band members, and draws the lines for the songs. His replacement "Jordan Rudess" might be one of the best in the world, but unfortunately, there is nobody left in DT to keep the band's music under controll. So each member does what he wants to do and sometimes things could go out of controll."

That is an absolutely solid point made by Richard. They do go out of control and MP has assumed the helm. Kevin Moore specialized in melodies that had an ambience or a mood to them, while the band has little of that now. John MYung barely writes anymore and he was phenomenal in music and lyrics. The other factor is Jordan isn't a metal fan and Master of Puppets was the first metal album he listened to (right before they began rehearsing it). He doesn't really know what metal and DT fans want, thus the bland sound. They now concentrate in the shredding rather than the melodies.

Going through the backcatalog of SX, I have seen a change since Miller left, but they are still close to what the band originally was and still interesting. The music holds up. I can't say the same for DT and this album wil really determine if they are in their decline phase or not. They are definitely treating this album's release like it's make or break for them.

Yup, Jordan Rudess' not being a metal fan is something that pulls DT music away from their past. Everybody says "all DT albums are different in style", but this difference is huge since Kevin left.

turke said:
I have no idea what the next album will sound like but, "I miss Kevin Moore" like some people here. From an interview made by "Murat Batmaz (seaoftranquility.org)" with Threshold member "Richard West", I got this fantastic line that i completely agree with:

"Kevin Moore is not just a keyboard player, but he is also a very talented artist. If you compare today's DT with their past times with Kevin Moore, you can easily see the difference. Kevin was the one who controlls each of the band members, and draws the lines for the songs. His replacement "Jordan Rudess" might be one of the best in the world, but unfortunately, there is nobody left in DT to keep the band's music under controll. So each member does what he wants to do and sometimes things could go out of controll."

Excellently phrased! I always felt that Moore had a lot to do with the song structures...there was no other way to explain the sudden change between the streamlined production of Awake and the sprawling works done with Rudess. That guy could be good if he would control himself, but I think he just throws stuff in there at random sometimes, and him worse than anybody in the band.

Now, out of curiosity, is Sherinian as out of control as Rudess? How does he sound in comparison to each of them?

Sherinian does some weird stuff, kind of like a merging of Moore and Rudess. He does like the ambience. His personality is more flashy than his playing and his playing is actually an influence for DT to go heavy, but with the melody and ambience.