Octavarium Clips

Now that actually might not be too bad...

(As I write this...I'm actually listening to an NES rendition of "Overture 1928" somebody posted here one day!)

I think Derek Sherinian is a good player,but he should play his stuff only. I never liked him in DT. Just listen to "Killing hand" played with him in a gig (bootleg) and judge yourself. He destroys the song, man :)

MorphineChild205 said:
I for one am getting sick and tired of this immature war between SX and DT fans. It's as if SX fans are jealous that DT is more popular, and DT fans think their band is the "elite of the elite."

It's far worse at the DT boards, where Symphony X are constantly called "cheese" and associated with medieval warfare. It's as if DT fans are afraid SX is going to one-up them!

Who gives a damn!? Mike Portnoy thinks highly of Symphony X, and I know that Jason Rullo (and probably the rest of SX) listens to DT. I guess the fact that the members of both bands respect each other just isn't enough for some of their "fans."

MorphineChild - you have managed to put into words my exact feelings in this matter. Thank you. These kinds of feuds piss me off to no end and I rarely (if ever) respond to them because they are futile and idiotic. Your response was perfect and concise - wish I had written it. :worship:

Fossil Records said:
MorphineChild - you have managed to put into words my exact feelings in this matter. Thank you. These kinds of feuds piss me off to no end and I rarely (if ever) respond to them because they are futile and idiotic. Your response was perfect and concise - wish I had written it. :worship:

Thank you.

As a regular poster on both this board and the DT one, I too grow tired of these insignificant battles. I admit that some of the anti-SX stuff on the DT boards was funny (mainly because it was made in good humor by fans of the band), like the "Symphony X to headline tour of Middle Earth" headline. However, some people are just so immature and ignorant. This goes for DT bashers, too. Some of you may hate their new stuff, but you have to respect the fact that those guys can play very well.

Nahh, Blind Guardian would be headlining THAT tour! Though it would be exposure to a great new audience for Symphony X. Think they'd make the top 40 in Gondor? ;)

"NIIIIIGHT-FAAAALLLLLL...quietly it crept in and changed us all!"

who cares Rudess is not a metal fan!he plays the shit out of the goddamn keyboard!if Dt sounds harsh its all because of petrucci and prortnoy,they simply wont let the guy write enough music for the band .by the way with Kevin moore they could never achieve this level of insanity in musicianship.

yeah, on DT.net I made a thread saying that the real reason SX wasnt on Gigantour was because there would be a riot between the SX fans and DT fans.

seriously, that probably would happen

As I may have said in other places...Kevin Moore is to the metal world what Rick Wright is to classic rock: more composer than technical-playing wizard. While I think you're right that Moore could probably not keep up with Rudess in a speed-playing contest, I have the feeling that if you told each of them to write and then play a song, with no help from anybody else, Moore would give the better results.

I respect Rudess' chops...but as a band member he doesn't impress me at all.

Rose Immortal said:
As I may have said in other places...Kevin Moore is to the metal world what Rick Wright is to classic rock: more composer than technical-playing wizard. While I think you're right that Moore could probably not keep up with Rudess in a speed-playing contest, I have the feeling that if you told each of them to write and then play a song, with no help from anybody else, Moore would give the better results.

I thought rythym of time was a good album

one i thing i originally and still dislike about rudess (despite being a massive DT fan) is his truely awful lead patches. The super fast scales might actually sound decent if they werent utterly obscured by that horrible wah effect

Rose Immortal said:

Some of Kevin's solos(especiallyTake The Time) have really been etched into my memory. Can't say that for any of JR's stuff..he sometimes seems directionless in soloing......hell even Matt Guillory(to me) plays much more interesting leads then JR! Having said that....I have to say some of Kevin's recent releases are real stinkbombs :dopey:

wayne the goblin/robot said:
ha ha Mikes made those crazy Germans remove the clips

heres his rant on Mp.com

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.apex?m=826423&mpage=32&key=

I think he is justified in removing the clips

AND WHO THE FVCK CALLED MP A DICK.........................I OUGHTA PUNCH THE KID IN THE FACE FOR THAT!!!!!!!

ok so I suck at typing out long urls

oh well I made my point

control-denied777 said:
who cares Rudess is not a metal fan!he plays the shit out of the goddamn keyboard!if Dt sounds harsh its all because of petrucci and prortnoy,they simply wont let the guy write enough music for the band .by the way with Kevin moore they could never achieve this level of insanity in musicianship.

I don't want insanity. I want music.

glasscastle said:
Some of Kevin's solos(especiallyTake The Time) have really been etched into my memory. Can't say that for any of JR's stuff..he sometimes seems directionless in soloing......hell even Matt Guillory(to me) plays much more interesting leads then JR! Having said that....I have to say some of Kevin's recent releases are real stinkbombs :dopey:
ok here are my favorite rudess solos:Endless sacrifice,solitary shell,in the name of god,and goodnight kiss(i cant recall the rest)Kevin moore is great but compared to Rudess he is a joke(awake suffers from his lame key playing)

control-denied777 said:
Know what you're talking about before you speak. Jordan wrote most of the music for ToT. The interviews are available all over the web. in fact, the main riffs were from The Transformers tv series.

And insanity is not music. I could go "insane" on my keyboard, but it sounds like nothing.

control-denied777 said:
ok here are my favorite rudess solos:Endless sacrifice,solitary shell,in the name of god,and goodnight kiss(i cant recall the rest)Kevin moore is great but compared to Rudess he is a joke(awake suffers from his lame key playing)

Suffers? Actually, I think his restraint is important to keeping that album under control compared to the absolute sprawl of Scenes and parts of ToT. He works quite well in the background, and it gives Petrucci something to play off of very well without leading to the overkill of trading solos (something DT has never managed as well as SymX).

Rose Immortal said:
Nahh, Blind Guardian would be headlining THAT tour! Though it would be exposure to a great new audience for Symphony X. Think they'd make the top 40 in Gondor? ;)

"NIIIIIGHT-FAAAALLLLLL...quietly it crept in and changed us all!"

:p

Symphony X might do well in Middle Earth. Jason already looks like an elf...

I say it again:

Dream Theater used to be an amazing band but all their magic died when Kevin Moore left.

Jordan Rudess is a veteran sesion musician that will never write a song like "Space Dye Vest". Rudess is a great player, very skilled, very fast and i love the way he plays the piano but in my opinion he is more a performer than a composer.

It is hard to say this (and maybe hard to accept): Kevin Moore was the mastermind behind Dream Theater. Chroma Key rules ¡¡¡.

Since Metropolis Part 2, the guys have been focusig in pyrotchnics and in making fast solos and the lack of melody and counterpoint (all the instruments playing the same riff) with Rudess is remarkable. Example: Erotomania :worship: and Dance of Eternity :erk: .

Peace

I don't know why this thread turned into a bashing DT thread, but DT isn't that bad IMO. I recently bought SDOIT and I really like the 1st CD, but the 2nd one is not that capturing to me, except like one song. The 1st cd has some nice composition, such as the chorus to "The Great Debate," and the intro to "Disappear." I don't really pay much attention to Rudess, but I do know that he can play at super fast speeds on the piano, but that's all that I can think of. Rudess does a nice job on "Overture 1928," and "Glass Prison."