Old school death metal

I swear I cannot find any material by in-quest, I've had them on my soulseek wishlist for months.

Hint: DON'T INCLUDE THE HYPHEN.

If you use SLSK, my user name is Reqviem. Please PM me to get on my list so you can check out some In-Quest. As for searching for them, I highly recommend searching by album title.

Listening to Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil

Most people here have heard it. For those who haven't it's pretty simple stuff and highly derivative of the melodic death / black from At the Gates / Eucharist / Dissection, but fucking good.

Yeah, it is solid stuff. Very vanilla.

Traumatic Voyage is probably the most obscure (musically and literally speaking) Old-School Death Metal band with a substantial amount of releases in existence. I can't remember exactly how I discovered them, but it wasn't through recommendation, and it was a bizarre experience, to say the least. The debut absolutely fucking rules.

Also, Destructive Reality by Sickening Gore is very cool.

I've been meaning to hear that (I had it in my M-A search history, heh), so I'll check it out soon perhaps.

Would you say it was a...PSYCHEDELIC EXPERIENCE???

...Ahem!

Listening to Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil

Most people here have heard it. For those who haven't it's pretty simple stuff and highly derivative of the melodic death / black from At the Gates / Eucharist / Dissection, but fucking good.

I just got this last night, though I have seen it recommended countless times. Based on one listen it was alright but seemed kind of derivative of the bands you mentioned. They actually reminded me more of Necrophobic more than anything else but not near as good. It was good enough for more listens though.

Unanimated does sound like run-of the mill melodic DM at first but it's got a very good atmosphere. AGOE is great stuff indeed.
Traumatic Voyage is also pretty top-notch and rather unique. Fuck, how I love unique stuff .

Unanimated does sound like run-of the mill melodic DM at first but it's got a very good atmosphere. AGOE is great stuff indeed.
Traumatic Voyage is also pretty top-notch and rather unique. Fuck, how I love unique stuff .

I just got their first 2 albums, gonna a give them a listen soon.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the second album? I only ever manage to find the first one.

I don't think Unanimated sounds like Necrophobic. Necrophobic have melody just not to the extent I would put them together with bands like eucharist,unanimated,at the gates,etc..and are just generally more extreme. Necrophobic will probably be pushing atmosphere,intensity and musicianship for years to come for moderm extreme music. Not only does Necrophobic have very good guitarists their drummer pretty much destroys majority of fast modern metal drummers today and add that Tobias is a very articulate and extreme vocalist. I would say in todays world they are one of those bands that are leaders.

I just recently checked out Necrovore. I don't understand what all the hype is about. I found them good, but nothing that blows me away. Plus, the production is horrible. I understand that they were one of the first death metal bands, but they only ever released one demo, and there were other death metal bands around at the time that were much better. I hear that they just reformed, so maybe the upcoming full length (which will actually be their first) will be better.

Hint: DON'T INCLUDE THE HYPHEN.

If you use SLSK, my user name is Reqviem. Please PM me to get on my list so you can check out some In-Quest. As for searching for them, I highly recommend searching by album title

Ok thanks ya i had the hyphen in it this entire time I never knew it actually made a difference, I feel quite stupid right now. :loco:

Lemming Project - Hate & Despise is oft-underrated, heavy, deep Swedish-via-German death metal. Spin it.

I came across this used in an FYE and decided to buy it since people here were talking about it. I like it but don't really see it as death metal or anything classic and essential.

Then again you have really weird taste and think Bloodbath are AWESOME THROWBACK SWEDEATH when really it's more like a crappy 3rd-rate wannabe ripoff...so...yeah. That doesn't have anything to do with anything, but still.

Ok thanks ya i had the hyphen in it this entire time I never knew it actually made a difference, I feel quite stupid right now. :loco:

Yeah :lol: no problem. I had that problem a few times before. On SLSK, a "-" means "do not search for the term following this symbol" :p

:lol:.

Listen to the vocals and music closer because it's not death metal. "extinction' sounds like death metal. Who cares.... I am probably wrong.

On Bloodbath they're suppose to be a tribute to oldschool death metal and swedish death metal(everyone knows this) and atleast with them the band members are oldschool and veterans and even one of the members was in an oldschool swedish death metal band during the time of the scene(edge of sanity). I would rather hear them try and be oldschool than some random new schoolers trying to be oldschool or seven some crappy modern death metal from the US in the now. I don't expect everyone to appreciate Bloodbath. I am guitarist and really into Blakkheim in general. You know how much I like early 90's swedish and finland death metal bands and Bloodbath captures that most in modern times in my opinion and they are trying to bring these influences for newer generations. I was a kid during my favorite scene in music and missed everything.

Breeding Death is great but clearly not as good as both fullenths(it's NOT, END) nor does it have the great guitar harmonies.

Back on Blakkheim, he has some of the most desolate and wretched guitar playing I have heard and his playing is still beautiful and flawless. Nothing is more cool than a guitarist demenstrating they are a great musician while still making music that majority people would not get or value as music because they have typical thinking nor probably play or know shit. If you listen to Diabolical Masqeurade alone you can't help but think he is beyond most people.

Breeding Death is better for me. You can tell that when they created that, they were just a collection of musicians looking to create some old school sounding Death Metal, and didn't have any kind of "super group" mentality in mind.

Goddamn right...I wish Kaamos and Repugnant would've stuck around longer. Of course they certainly weren't breaking any new ground, but god damnit if they didn't know what they were doing.

I'm glad Kaamos broke up. They didn't fuck with their stuff. Lucifer Rising is just that much more awesome since we can rest assured they won't make something lackluster after it! Hail the true old-school throwbacks.