Old school death metal

I've never been a huge Bloodbath fan, but I agree with Dodens about Breeding Death being pretty decent.

I've just read that Excruciate (Swe) have reformed and are writing new material for an upcoming full-length. Apparently it'll be in the vain of their debut, Passage Of Life. Great news.

I honestly don't think too incredibly high of them, though I haven't listened to them in a while. I remember an overabundance of blastbeats though. I should probably give it another listen soon.

There is a bit of blasting - probably more than the average Swedish Death Metal album - but I feel they're always used appropriately and tastefully. And there's always the fucking riff monster 'Eternal Incubation' to make up for this. I'd say definitely give it another listen. Same goes for you, V!

Goddamn right...I wish Kaamos and Repugnant would've stuck around longer. Of course they certainly weren't breaking any new ground, but god damnit if they didn't know what they were doing.

I've been having trouble finding Epitome of Darkness can anyone point me in the right direction? I'll also have to check out kaamos.

Excruciate fucking rules.

I just got my Authorize in the mail, man this is unique for Swedish metal, they keep tons of melody through a chunky thrashy way different than most stuff.

I'm listening to Fester - Winter of Sin right now, and it's fucking great. It's not really a lost gem, but any fan of old school death metal should enjoy it. The bizarre solos and riffs weaving in an out making an odd atmosphere. The song writing seems to be a little lacking with abrupt changes in riffing, but it doesn't bother me much because of the bizarre riffing!

Just listened to that Excruciate album. Quite badass. I didn't notice very many blasting instances either so I don't know what Dodens was refering too.

The Greys, make a list about some metal albums getting rereleased, I have seemed to have forgotten :).

Excruciate fucking rules.
!

I heard some Excruciate demo songs that are ten times better than the fullength which I found generic. I will probably just end up getting their compilation 'beyond the circle' just because it has shitloads of demo songs.

I also prefere Crypt of Kerberos demo's to the fullength which I was sick of after a few spins.

I'm listening to Fester - Winter of Sin right now, and it's fucking great. It's not really a lost gem, but any fan of old school death metal should enjoy it. The bizarre solos and riffs weaving in an out making an odd atmosphere. The song writing seems to be a little lacking with abrupt changes in riffing, but it doesn't bother me much because of the bizarre riffing!

Those two overpowering shrieks at the end of the last track on Winter of Sin were quite the unpleasant surprise for my ears.
I was totally unprepared for them and nearly shat myself at that point upon first hearing the album. Recurrent listens didn't quite make me immune to their effect. That ear-piercing annoyance aside, it's a great album.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Funebrarum has a split cd coming out soon with early 90's swedish death metallers Interment.

I need to check out Funebrarum.

You guys like Runemagick, their first album fucking rules.

Does Darkthrone's first album count as old school death?

I'm listening to it right now.. it defeats a LOT of stuff Dismember or Unleashed have released.

I don't know how you can judge between death metal Darkthrone and black metal Darkthrone, but Soulside Journey is my favourite Darkthrone. Even though I like a few of their black metal albums quite a bit.

I recently bought A Blaze In The Northern Sky and like it as much as Soulside Journey if not more. As you know in the past did not really think much off Darkthrone's black metal. I might get under a funeral moon next.

There is a lot of atmosphere and some neat things going on during A blaze that I did not notice right off.