Old school death metal

I imagine a wooden catapult throwing huge bolts into a castle!

Does anybody ever stop and think what an odd name Bolt Thrower is?

The name is based off of a war machine from the fantasy game "Warhammer". The game is produced by games workshop. The games workshop artists even did the art work for some of the album covers."Realms of Chaos" is the name of an old Warhammer source book, that is where they got the name. The blue guys on the cover of the "realms of Chaos" album are crimson fist Space marines from the game Warhammer 40,000 also produced by games workshop.

RoC2.jpg

Roc1.jpg

This is a picture of the updated artwork for the space marine codex. Looks similar to the album cover eh?

060323smcodex.jpg

2189.jpg

This is a Warhammer Bolt Thrower

reaper-bolt-thrower_large.gif

HE_bolt_thrower_lg.jpg

Everytime I listen to changes think the drums are annoying as hell.
I recall you saying that you prefer the one song off their Love Songs EP to the full-length. It's vice-versa with me. I hated the sound quality of that song-all fuzzy and indistinct. Changes, on the other hand, has got an excellent sharp production(for an OSDM album). There are moments,however, when I do think the drums get in the way, but not so much as to eclipse the great songwriting. Unfortunately this not the case with albums such as Golem's Dreamweaver, where the poorly produced drums are quite a big distraction.

Possessed
Entombed
Morbid Angel
Death
Deicide

what other bands are as good as these???

There is A LOT better then Entombed and Deicide, but Morbid Angel, Death and Possessed are tough to match.

If you're into Entombed or Dismember, check out God Macabre, who I think are miles above both, but only had one release (as with many OSDM bands).

There is A LOT better then Entombed and Deicide, but Morbid Angel, Death and Possessed are tough to match.

If you're into Entombed or Dismember, check out God Macabre, who I think are miles above both, but only had one release (as with many OSDM bands).

Yeah, I have a Dismember and a God Macabre album, haven't listened to either yet

I will check them out

I honestly don't know of any band similar to Asphyx. Slow thrashy old school doom death - most of the bands posted so far are nothing like them. Bolt Thrower come closest I guess.