Old school death metal

There's difference between liking and appreciating. I appreciate "Deicide" and "Legion" I just don't like them. Same goes for Suffocation, I appreciate a lot of there stuff I just don't like it very much. As for Obituary, I thought "Slowly We Rot" and "Cause of Death" were excellent, I just hate all the rest of their material.

death metal doesn't get much better than effigy of the forgotten

Death 'spiritual healing' is one of the best oldschool death metal albums musically and production wise and wipes the floor with any death imo. I fucking love this album.

Death 'spiritual healing' is one of the best oldschool death metal albums musically and production wise and wipes the floor with any death imo. I fucking love this album.

symbolic >> human>>> Sound of perseverence >>>> Scream bloody gore >> ITP > spiritual healing >> leprosy

this list pretty much changes every week for me though

There's difference between liking and appreciating. I appreciate "Deicide" and "Legion" I just don't like them. Same goes for Suffocation, I appreciate a lot of there stuff I just don't like it very much. As for Obituary, I thought "Slowly We Rot" and "Cause of Death" were excellent, I just hate all the rest of their material.
which makes you quite a big fan,considering that: these two Obituary albums are the ones that a lot of people find most worthwhile. Of couise when I was talking about Deicide and Obituary I was referring to their revered classics. If I don't even like their landmark releases then the hell with their rest of their stuff.

Exhorder were thrash metal. No idea what "post thrash" is supposed to be. There is also nothing saying that thrash can't have elements of groove to it.

Death / thrash hybrids:
Grotesque - In the Embrace of Evil (absolutely essential)
Liers in Wait - Spiritually Uncontrolled Art (as above)
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse

*edit*
Obituary - Cause of Death was one of the first death metal albums I got into. It rocked then, it rocks now.

Also try Pungent Stench - Dirty Rhymes and Psychotic Beats. Viva la Muerte was THE first death metal song I liked. It has a really cool southern groove feel to it. Although the album pretty much peaks at this song, it's still broadly enjoyable.

Abcess is putting out a new album soon through Tyrant Syndicate, run by Nocturno Culto and Fenriz.

Solace of Requiem! Excellent old-school death three-piece with a nice indie full-length out now. Semi-technical riffing, a nice raw production, great songs, great vocals. Highly recommended ~

http://www.solreq.com

solaceofre_utopiarebo.jpg

Disincarnate - Dreams Of The Carrion Kind

Might not be exactly what you're looking for but it's excellent old school death metal. Give it a try.

Just got remastered & reissued w/ bonus tracks (3 demos, including the version of "The Stench of Paradise Burning" that was on the old "Death is Just the Beginning" comp (I think)). Sounds fantastic...

Same company (Metal Mind Productions) also reissued the first two Gorguts albums and the Pestilence best-of, "Mind Reflections".

Disincarnate - Dreams Of The Carrion Kind

Might not be exactly what you're looking for but it's excellent old school death metal. Give it a try.

Great stuff, and very original for it's time, but it's James after all. This is the first I have heard anyone even mention it.

Gorguts 'considered dead' is a great oldschool death metal album. My reissue came yesterday.