Old school death metal

The term 'Thrash' means to skate. Why insist on using revisionist history? This has nothing to do with an 'ANUS intepretation' - the definition was widely used in the early-mid 80s. I think you, sir, are the one that is going against the 'common' definition. Most people think of skating (let us not exclusively use stubborn and ignorant Metalheads as the yardstick here) when they hear the word thrash used.

Do you think I give a flying fuck what the word "thrash" means? The term was widely popularized in the 80s and, like ALL genre tags, were applied without care or consideration, and were all vague and undefined. However, by the mid-80s, a substantial number of Thrash bands (as everyone that doesn't subscribe to the ANUS system understands it) adopted the term. That's why Whiplash, Tankard, Onslaught, Destruction, Death Angel, Wolf Spider, etc., etc., used the term not only to describe their music, but used it in their lyrics. As time progressed, the term "Thrash" has come to define such bands as Dark Angel, Sadus, Kreator, Destruction, Exumer, Forbidden, Flotsam And Jetsam, Artillery, Cyclone, Heathen, and bands of that sort. So regardless of your insistence upon a "revisionist" history, the reality is the the history of every genre term that we now know today that finds its origins in the 80s is terribly muddled and amorphous, so to suggest that there was only one use of a specific term during the 80s and that that is the definition of the word that should be used today is merely self aggrandizement and arrogance. Once again, this is such a petty argument, so I really don't know why your ilk insist upon harping on this issue every time something of this sort if brought up, as if a reevaluation of the terms "Speed" and "Thrash" would usher forth a renaissance of clear understanding regarding the history of Metal.

anus is 100% right in this case

sorry

why the fuck would a term relating to skateboarding be the name of a metal genre??

does that not seem strange to you??

No, because it has generally been accepted as metal term for a VERY long time and used by everyone associated with metal. ANUS just likes to stir up worthless shit about the literal meaning of words. As long as we know what they mean, who gives a fuck?

Do you think I give a flying fuck what the word "thrash" means? The term was widely popularized in the 80s and, like ALL genre tags, were applied without care or consideration, and were all vague and undefined. However, by the mid-80s, a substantial number of Thrash bands (as everyone that doesn't subscribe to the ANUS system understands it) adopted the term. That's why Whiplash, Tankard, Onslaught, Destruction, Death Angel, Wolf Spider, etc., etc., used the term not only to describe their music, but used it in their lyrics. As time progressed, the term "Thrash" has come to define such bands as Dark Angel, Sadus, Kreator, Destruction, Exumer, Forbidden, Flotsam And Jetsam, Artillery, Cyclone, Heathen, and bands of that sort. So regardless of your insistence upon a "revisionist" history, the reality is the the history of every genre term that we now know today that finds its origins in the 80s is terribly muddled and amorphous, so to suggest that there was only one use of a specific term during the 80s and that that is the definition of the word that should be used today is merely self aggrandizement and arrogance. Once again, this is such a petty argument, so I really don't know why your ilk insist upon harping on this issue every time something of this sort if brought up, as if a reevaluation of the terms "Speed" and "Thrash" would usher forth a renaissance of clear understanding regarding the history of Metal.

well stated

it's just unfathomable to me that a term very largely related to skateboarding (and punk culture) would be the name of a metal genre

hell I have read some articles about metal from the late 80s/early 90s on different newspaper sites (that uploaded their old articles from that time period) - and "thrash" is almost always referred to as speed metal

So what you are saying is that the views of a minority group (ie Metal) are more important than what the common understanding of society is? You're a fucking fool.

thrash –verb
1. to beat soundly in punishment; flog.
2. to defeat thoroughly: The home team thrashed the visitors.
3. Nautical. to force (a close-hauled sailing ship under heavy canvas) against a strong wind or sea.
4. thresh.
–verb (used without object) 5. to toss, or plunge about.
6. Nautical. to make way against the wind, tide, etc.; beat.
7. thresh.
–noun 8. an act or instance of thrashing; beating; blow.
9. thresh.
10. Swimming. the upward and downward movement of the legs, as in the crawl.
11. British Slang. a party, usually with drinks.
—Verb phrase12. thrash out or over, to talk over thoroughly and vigorously in order to reach a decision, conclusion, or understanding; discuss exhaustively.

It means a million different things idiot.

So what you are saying is that the views of a minority group (ie Metal) are more important than what the common understanding of society is? You're a fucking fool.

You're a fucking dolt.

"Thrash Metal" is irrelevant to the general public, so this entire debate is framed within the confines of the Metal community. To suggest otherwise as a means of pleading evidence for one's case is pathetic. The fact is that the type of music could be called "The Sound Of Feces Jettisoning Out Of The World's Rectum," and it wouldn't change anything. The terms "Death" Metal and "Black" Metal are not much better than "Thrash" Metal anyway.

I have almost ALWAYS heard "thrash" as a word related to punk/skater/other extreme sports subculture

here's an article on metallica "black album"

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE5DC1031F932A2575BC0A967958260

Metallica has been the standard-bearer for speed metal, a style born in the 1980's out of 1970's punk rock, hard rock and heavy metal. Speed metal ignored the party-hearty fantasies of most heavy metal to take up more apocalyptic subjects like coercion and insanity; not for nothing is Metallica's publishing company called Creeping Death Music. Yet there was an audience hungry to hear grim tidings. Metallica's first albums sold hundreds of thousands of copies with hardly any radio exposure. Its double album, ". . . And Justice for All," released in '88, sold more than two million copies, boosted by all-metal radio stations, the band's first more-or-less ballad and a video of "One" -- a song about a blind quadriplegic soldier wishing for death

Metallica is trying to break out of the constraints of a style it helped create, the pressure of its own pioneering music, and that's not easy. Take away speed, and speed metal becomes nothing more than old-fashioned heavy metal.

that's an article posted in 1991

Also look in the liner notes of Altars of Madness. The argument that the term 'Thrash' was completely common and accepted usage by the mid-eighties is bogus. It never has been.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "completely common and accepted," but if you mean to say that I somewhere suggested that the meaning of the term "thrash" had become cemented into a singular meaning by that time period, then I question your reading ability. I believe I said "a substantial number of Thrash bands...adopted the term," which is far from what you're suggesting.

I dislike revisionist history. Thrash Metal has never been the completely accepted and common definition - to think otherwise is internet fantasy and shows little understanding of the 'metal history' that you people seem to be clinging so desparately too.

On the other hand, I completely agree with this sentiment. Even to this day the term is used in various sects for various effects.

guys find legitimate metal articles by newspapers or whatnot from the 80s and early 90's

I guarantee you in almost everyone of them will refer to "thrash" as speed metal

I just showed you one example

I have almost ALWAYS heard "thrash" as a word related to punk/skater/other extreme sports subculture

here's an article on metallica "black album"

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE5DC1031F932A2575BC0A967958260

that's an article posted in 1991

First of all, magazines used genre tags as catch phrases rather than universal terms. Secondly, I can look through a stack of magazines myself from an earlier time period refering to Metallica (and other bands) as Thrash, so it really doesn't mean anything.

How is this even relevent? It's not even an exclusive ANUS view - in fact it's a discussion topic that predates the site by many, many years. You are really started to clutch at straws, bud. Then again, you have never had much of worthwhile value to say, so it is hardly surprising. Go play in traffic.

Nice way to ignore the second and relevent part of my post.

The ANUS part wasn't about your thoughts, just why you cared. ANUSites seem to care about stupid little things like this for whatever reason.

First of all, magazines used genre tags as catch phrases rather than universal terms. Secondly, I can look through a stack of magazines myself from an earlier time period refering to Metallica (and other bands) as Thrash, so it really doesn't mean anything.

I see

I still have a very hard time believing a term related to punk subculture could possibly end up as a genre label for metal

and doesn't speed metal seem like an appropriate term for albums like "hell awaits" and "reign in blood" ???

I see

I still have a very hard time believing a term related to punk subculture could possibly end up as a genre label for metal

and doesn't speed metal seem like an appropriate term for albums like "hell awaits" and "reign in blood" ???

Thrash metal is VERY much influenced by punk, hardcore specifically, so it isn't a very fuckin' hard thing to believe.

Punk and Metal are not so far apart as you seem to think. Anyway, I'm bowing out of this debate. Have fun.