Old school death metal

They're not very different. Go listen and read up on the crossover and crust punk scenes.

http://hessian.org/metal/music/ << there's a pretty interesting summary of metal history

basically states that hardcore >>> thrash >> grindcore

hell here's "thrasher magazine" - http://www.thrashermagazine.com/ << pretty much a skateboarding magazine

and despite what similarities there may be between the 2 genres, the idea that a term relating to punk music/subculture would become the name of one of the most significant genres of metal seems highly unlikely to me

I dunno, I don't really care for this (I just wanted to argue it) - I have no problem calling speed metal "thrash" so we don't have any more arguments like this in the future

sodom and kreator = speed metal
thrash = DRI, cryptic slaughter etc...

:lol:

DRI and Cryptic Slaughter sound more like punk/hardcore bands than anything so than you get 'crossover', and they are not fully punk or hardcore so labelling them that would not really make sense, and they have some thrash.

Kreator,Sodom =thrash.

:lol:

DRI and Cryptic Slaughter sound more like punk/hardcore bands than anything so than you get 'crossover', and they are not fully punk or hardcore so labelling them that would not really make sense, and they have some thrash.

Kreator,Sodom =thrash.

"crossover" = thrash
Thrash = speed metal

thrash is a term related to punk subculture (ever hear of someone "thrashing"?? they are talking about skateboarding/other similar extreme sports)

eh whatever, I'm not going to argue this again

Then what is Exciter? Power metal? :lol:

Edit: Okay I read that site. But I'm not going to call Kreator extreme speed metal.

Punk and thrash (or metal as a whole) are not that dissimilar, culturally.

It's amazing how many people cannot grasp this concept. Black metal had a lot of punk influence in the early days too, and modern stuff tends to show a bit of the influence as well. Listening to early Darkthrone and and Venom reminds me of some hardcore punk.

Asphyx is real cool. If your looking for stuff like them, I'd reccomend Brutality, Cancer, Sinister, Massacra, Massacre, Mortician, Demilich, Mortification(if Christian death is ok with you) and Pungent Stench

It's amazing how many people cannot grasp this concept. Black metal had a lot of punk influence in the early days too, and modern stuff tends to show a bit of the influence as well. Listening to early Darkthrone and and Venom reminds me of some hardcore punk.
Yes. The guitar playing technique on Transylvanian Hunger is, in fact, very punk-ish.

B000IHY0SS.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40659388_.jpg