Pantera

Yes, yes they have a poor reputation in metal for breaking mainstream but I dont care. I like their work.

Like someone here said earlier. No one would a gave a shit about Dimebag Darrell's death if it wasn't so covered so much on television.

Birkenau said:
What is it exactly that they contributed (that wasn't shit)...?

:lol:

Well, they inspired many people to pick up the guitar/bass and in general get into music more, some bands were also influenced by them aswell. Many people grew up on Pantera too (me being one).. as for that last bit in your post,To each their own, I guess...

It seems like an evergrowing trend to "dislike" Pantera or pretend like one has never liked them. Yes, I can understand people are pissed cause a lot of idiots think Dimebag was the best guitarist ever and his death spoke to a lot of people but thats honestly not a good reason to start bashing the band saying they aren't good. :Smug:

Hell, I won't deny that they used to be one of my favorite bands. I still own everything from Cowboys to Reinventing The Steel. I just haven't gotten around to selling Vulgar Display, Far Beyond Driven, TGSTK, the live album and Reinventing yet.

I think Pantera are one of those bands that if you discover them when you're just developing your own tastes in music, then you will have more of a soft spot for them. For me, Maiden were the first band I got into by myself, so I've never really understood the craze around Pantera.

I was never exposed to things like MTV so I suppose I didnt get the same sort of picture of metal that was popular at the time

it's gonna boil down to individual preference, there's no real debate going on here just a *they suck* *they're great* kinda thing.

i like them, dime's killer guitarist for me. if you can name loads of other people you like, then great, so can i, but it doesn't diminish him for me. i hear they were pretty amazing live? never got the chance to see em :(

The Deacon Dr. O said:
I used to like Pantera's old stuff a bit, like Cowboys From Hell, but I got bored with the simplicity of it. Not just technically, not just asthetics, but the comercial feel to it. There isnt really very much meaning at all in the majority of their catalouge. I can listen to the most primitive BM, and despite the lack of technicality, feel so much more in the music than what Pantera does. In other words, Music is art, and Pantera is bland art.

EDIT: Also, Dime was a comptent but overrated guitarist, and Phil is a fucking crackhead moron.
pantera kick asssssssss! they are agreat metal band thats it:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I think dimebags riffs are not "awesome" or inspiring... i find the boring and repetitive... i dont see why people like them... except for metalcore/mall core kids....

Thraxz said:
Someone needs to introduce Metal Paddy to the shift key.

He can make an exlamation point; I don't think that's the problem. I think someone needs to introduce him to some stoping of posting! OMGZ0rZ!!one1!

Pantera isn't really amazing musicaly, but that doesnt keep their songs from sounding good to people who like how they sound... And what's this about Maiden fans not like Pantera? I like them both, Maiden is my second favorite behind Blind Guardian, Pantera I guess is about 7th.

Their Power Metal Album was good. CFH has a song or two that are okay.. Give me Kyle Thomas any day.. Phail always wanted to be him.. and as Kyle put it, "He can NEVER be me." Stealing demos and fashioning your vocals after the other singer = suckage.

I think Pantera are fukin amazing great band great guitarist i think alot of bands in the era O something to pantera for paving the way

The simple fact of the matter (and anyone who understands the intracacies of music know this) is that Dimebag was an excellent soloist, Vinnie Paul's drumming was always tight and his rythm was flawless, Rex's bass had killer groove (which is what a good bassist should have, regardless of the genre), and Phil Anselmo, while being the least talented member of the band, was still a goddammned good vocalist. Pantera probably won't go down in history as metal's best band, but they are at a level that few bands can hope to attain.

I think that "Cowboys from Hell" and "Vulgar display of power" are 2 great Albums, full of amazing riffs and power.
Dimebag was a great guitar player, but nobody can say who's the best guitar player in the world...