Racism?

I've done this too many times to fucking care any more. You're still new here. Read a fucking book. Blacks have higher rates of pretty much every social/health/economic/etc/etc/etc problem that there is.

If you really need statistics, like I said, read a book. It's seriously not at all worth my time to dig up the sources for my facts for people who don't care. If you really, really care, read Health and Social Justice: Politics, Ideology, and Inequity in the Distribution of Disease edited by Richard Hofrichter. Also good are Social Injustice and Public Health by Barry Levy and Race, Ethnicity, and Health: A Public Health Reader by Thomas LaVeist. But the Hofrichter is the best and easiest to read. However, I'm pretty sure that you don't care enough to actually find things out for yourself without having statistics thrown in your face. You'd rather stand in the background and jerk yourself off while standing over everyone else shitting on their heads.

I actually read. And I'll definitely look into those books. You took it a little too far, though.

Who else is going to help them? You'll probably say "they should" but it's just not possible for impoverished people to get ahead on a large scale. To argue that it is and yet it isn't happening due to racial inferiority, which is basically what I am seeing in this thread, is the definition of racism.

No! I'm not saying that "they" should at all. I completely understand the inability of the impoverished to help themselves (note that this is not a sarcastic post). I'm in complete agreement that it is a financial impossibility for the poor to successfully ameliorate their status in the economic/social hierarchy.

All I'm saying is that (I believe) it's equally impossible to justifiably demand that those who have money should be the ones to profide all the welfare. I do believe that some certainly can and should; but I think a fair portion of the middle-class who have disposable and discretionary income have a right to do as they wish with their money.

I'm more apt to argue that the incredibly wealthy should be forced to pay something in "reparations;" but even then, there really is no argument other than "they don't need it," or perhaps "they don't deserve it." Both of these are weak points, I think.

Blacks have higher rates of pretty much every social/health/economic/etc/etc/etc problem that there is.

So obviously the current "systems" in place to bring about "equality" aren't working are they? I won't argue there aren't a shitload of racist whites, but the ongoing focus on race is only going to prolong it. You can't force an attitude to change, you can only make someone play nice (equal laws). By swinging the balance the other way (with things like affirmative action), the long term effect is a prolonging of racism in the majority, which then mirrors back from the minorities.

It doesn't help that the large majority of black pop(hip-hop) culture glorifies living like the lowest forms of society. Why listen to some black guy "acting like a white guy" when you can be an O-G NIGGA?!

Stopping right there is the god damn problem. You're making it a black and white issue when it's not. You're simplifying shit to absurd levels when it's not that fucking simple.

At some point the past has to be sucked up and left behind. When a man (or woman) wants something bad enough they can do it, or get damn close. Hand outs almost always create a entitlement mentality, especially when it starts stretching into multiple generations. It's the whole give a man/teach a man premise. It's been FORTY years since the SEVENTIES.

A self motivating hard worker with even a "bad" high school education can go farther than a lazy college grad.

It depends on what you mean by "can." Not every person "can" overcome any circumstance. It's unreasonable to expect that any person is at any time capable of having an excessive amount of will and motivation and drive and have the talent and excellence to go with that to overcome their circumstances.

The whole crux of the issue is that there are people of all races, but there are some disadvantages suffered by some people simply because of their race. They have a greater hill to climb. It's such a multifaceted issue that I think anyone should be bothered any time somebody makes blanket, sweeping and generalizing comments that they mean in full sincerity, as if the majority of black people are just lazy and worthless and the only reason that they're not millionaires is because they're lazy and worthless. It has nothing to do with circumstances, luck, internalized racism, systematic oppression, and counterproductive subsets of subcultures that actively work against progress, both through friends and family and through the media.

Lol, this and what cookiecutter said a page back were a breath
of fresh air. I honestly can't even begin to express how appalled I am with some people's ignorance in this thread.

Blacks are genetically inferior. They can have my tax dollars when hell freezes over.

There are barely any blacks at all where I live, so this is not my area, but I don't favour the reasoning behind solving discrimination with reverse discrimination.

I don't see how Americans can get so hot about the bollocks over it. Imagine you fought bravely in the Rhodesian army and retired. Now you're probably half starving to death in Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

the military is the very definition of a diverse community

and really, who cares if the letter is fake or real. the blacks are taking over!
~gR~

Secondly, I get the feeling that very few of you actually know black people or live in diverse communities.

I live in Maryland, the state with the 3rd highest black population percentage. 28.9% to be specific.

Dodens black population percentage is around 12. CC's is about 1% and that other guy lives in Canada which has a very low black population percentage.

edit:

I've also noticed that many of the statements giving support to helping minorities practically talked about minorities like they were a different species riddled with unescapable poverty. The "non-racist" and "non-ignorant" views. However the "racist" and "ignorant" views talked about minorities like they were normal people who could do what anyone else could.

[California] has the fifth largest population of African Americans in the U.S., an estimated 2,260,648 residents
~gR~

I live in fucking Baltimore. Black people everywhere. I encounter a mix though, some are the suburban ones that speak proper English and others are the ebonics speaking guys. My elementary school was filled with students that would get told daily by teachers to speak proper English, as a result I started talking that way in school.

I live in Maryland, the state with the 3rd highest black population percentage. 28.9% to be specific.

Dodens black population percentage is around 12. CC's is about 1% and that other guy lives in Canada which has a very low black population percentage.

edit:

I've also noticed that many of the statements giving support to helping minorities practically talked about minorities like they were a different species riddled with unescapable poverty. The "non-racist" and "non-ignorant" views. However the "racist" and "ignorant" views talked about minorities like they were normal people who could do what anyone else could.

I am from eastern NC:

North Carolina

African Americans
African Americans make up nearly a quarter of North Carolina's population. The number of middle-class blacks has increased since the 1970s. African Americans are concentrated in the state's eastern Coastal Plain and in parts of the Piedmont Plateau, where they had historically worked and where the most new job opportunities are. African-American communities number by the hundreds in rural counties in the south-central and northeast, and in predominantly black neighborhoods in the cities: Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Fayetteville, Wilmington and Winston-Salem.

I actually read. And I'll definitely look into those books. You took it a little too far, though.

I agree, and I apologize.

Also, in reference to my experience with blacks: there are other minorities than blacks. This is not an issue between black people and white people. It's all people. I've said this countless times, but I live in a predominantly Hispanic community. I hardly even know any white people.

I really don't feel like continuing with this. I was not, and I don't think anyone else was either, talking about government handouts. Welfare programs and things of that nature, as Dakryn said, do not change one's attitude. If this problem is really going to be tackled, then it needs to come from third parties. I want to be clear that while I recognize that the plight of poverty affects all races and it needs to be addressed at all levels, the nature of this thread is racism, so I felt that it was more apt to discuss the way that race relates to socioeconomic hardship, which is an added burden for millions of people in this country that makes their struggle even more difficult. There are countless examples of minorities (and women) who receive inferior attendance and care from various institutions, from hospitals, to doctors, to retail outlets, to job interviews, based on their race or gender (look into the books I mentioned that discuss examples of these; for example, minorities with white doctors receive far less one on one time and legitimate care and discussion about their health during an average checkup than a white with a white doctor or a white with a minority doctor). There are many, many different, smaller issues under the more global umbrella of issues, and they need to be tackled at all angles, but I feel that, in order to be most effective, "aid" needs to come from third parties and general education and awareness efforts. For many people in this country, their image of minorities is a poor one, and it affects their views on how they should be treated. So part of the solution is the solution itself; the more people see minorities in high, respectable positions, the more subconsciously positive they will feel toward them.