Similar band(s) like Opeth:

ashes_against_the_grain said:
How can you guys NOT mention Farmakon, Dark Suns and Disillusion??? Awesome bands, especially Farmakon!

I was thinking the same thing...

Another would be LILITU although I wouldn't claim that they are "awsome" but do have an Opeth sound...

Lord of Guitar said:
I think Woods of Ypres is the most similar out of them all. Theyve got that forest metal that Opeth had at the beginning of their career. I was talking to their drummer and theyre working on an album or they were or something, cant wait to hear it. Good bunch of guys, just live up by me in toronto too.

Forest Metal?...give me a break...can we possibly come up with some more ridiculous genres? How about Plateau Metal or Meadow Metal...how incredibly stupid. Just create some dumb ass name so you can claim to be the best at it.

forest metal is a real, serious genre you fucking imbecile. how about discussing something you know about?

schenkadere said:
Forest Metal?...give me a break...can we possibly come up with some more ridiculous genres? How about Plateau Metal or Meadow Metal...how incredibly stupid. Just create some dumb ass name so you can claim to be the best at it.

huh, no mention of Insomnium anywhere on this thread.

Since the Day It All Came Down = very Opethy.

and although it's postcore, there's a lot about the new Burst that reminds me of Opeth as well.

-gg
np: And Oceans - Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts

speaking of "forest metal," check out Velvet Cacoon from Oregon, who classify themselves as eco-terrorist black metal. little more aggro than your average tree huggers.

Old katatonia: Brave murder day, Sounds of Decay

Edge Of Sanity: Crimson + Crimson II

Asgaut. Some parts are almost ripped from MR.

Agalloch.

I'm not seeing the similarity between Opeth and these bands, besides maybe Novembre, and even then it seems just a similar set of ideas for music that they share, not the actual riffs or even sound. You really can't say that any band that is acoustic, then heavy, then acoustic again is like Opeth.

redinthesky -
for me, there's an emotional component of Insomnium's STDIACD that feels very reminiscent of Morningrise, a quiet, lonely grace that persists whether it's the rougher side of the music or the more elegaic acoustic breaks.

as for the Burst reference, there's also an emotional shift at work in some of those songs, a branch out into ethereal, proggy moods on songs like The Immateria or Flight's End that recall similar moments in Blackwater Park, Baying of the Hounds or When.

as for the others, yeah, acoustic interludes do not an Opeth band make, but prog sensibilities never hurt - which is why I've pointed any new Opeth fans I've made to Dan Swano's Moontower, both Crimson albums, Agalloch, and that second Insomnium disc.

-gg
np: Deathspell Omega - Kenose