So, uhh Nevermore, is that hardcore or something?

derek said:
I generally just agree and say HOW awesome metallica are, even tho, IMO, testament smoked them in the 80s :p

I'm not gonna do it.....I'm not gonna do it........I'm not gonna do it.......

Yeah, do it.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. IMO, Metallica are overrated. I think Ride and Justice and works of art, and while I get the influence and burning power that metallica incited in metals 80s underground, I just dont rate them that much. I reckon Testament were and are much better.

derek said:
Yeah, do it.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. IMO, Metallica are overrated. I think Ride and Justice and works of art, and while I get the influence and burning power that metallica incited in metals 80s underground, I just dont rate them that much. I reckon Testament were and are much better.

I concur with this statement.

derek said:
Yeah, do it.

Ok. I'm gonna try and do this without getting personal... You're way, way off dude, but I respect you so don't take any offense.

Whoever first said that "everyone is entitled to an opinion" was a loser who had just gotten smashed in a debate. The only opinions that really matter are pertinent opinions, and judging by your statement that Metallica is "overrated", I'd say that your opinion is far from relevant - at least on this matter.

I'll just tell you that I was actually there during the heydays of thrash and speed metal, and I remember quite vividly that Metallica was put on a pedestal by not only us fans, but by the media and ALL of the other bands in the scene (well, except one). There was even a time when Overkill almost got laughed out of metal because one of their guitarists actually tried to impersonate James Hetfield by playing an Explorer, standing just like JH, dressing like him, and moving around on stage like him! But, the fact of the matter is, Metallica built their whole career and reputation based SOLEY on the music and word of mouth - that alone speaks volumes. Metallica's influence was more in the mainstream of 80's metal than the underground. I'm talking about real metal, not the spandex/big hair stuff. I can't even count how many times James/Kirk were on the covers of the various guitar mags, and the tabs for the old songs still appear in new issues from time to time. At some of the guitar stores, they changed the "No Stairway To Heaven" sign to "No Seek And Destroy"....and then "No Enter Sandman" later - that's a sort of honor in itself! Nearly all of the bands at the time were compared to Metallica, and believe it or not, Testament was one of the most widely critisized bands for trying to copy Metallica's sound. I never agreed with that assesment, but that was the not-so-uncommon belief among journalists and many everyday headbangers.

You cannot find anyone that is a bigger Testament fan than I am. I've been listening to them since "Legacy" first came out (which was a long fucking time ago), and I've mastered nearly every single one of their songs on guitar. I also own every single recording that they've ever made - including "Live At Eindhoven" on cassette even. I also have the Testament home video on VHS. By the same token, I'm also the world's biggest fan of pre-"Black" Metallica. I also know every Metallica song ('83-'89) note for note on guitar. There is no way that one can be a true "forged in the 80's" metalhead, and not believe that Metallica's first four albums make them the greatest metal band in history.

How you list RTL and AJFA as being "works of art", but left the groundbreaking "Kill 'Em All" and the YET AGAIN groundbreaking "Master Of Puppets" off of your list of artistic worthiness befuddles me.

Let's do a "past tense" comparison -

Was Chuck Billy (aka Buck Chili) a better vocalist then Hetfield? HELL NO
I love Chuck, but seriously...Hetfield pwned in the 80's.

Was Eric Petersen a better player than Hetfield? HELL NO
EP is the shit (still), but JH's riffs will stand the test of time.

Was Alex Skolnick a better player than Kirk Hammet? Well...
Kirk was duely revered in the 80's and early 90's, but Skolnick is a god!

Was Greg Christian a better bassist than CLIFF FUCKING BURTON!? HELL NO
I don't really need to say anything here, right?

Was Louie Clemente a better drummer than Lars? HELL NO
Sure Lars is annoying and all, but some of his stuff is actually fairly hard to play. And Louie will tell you himself that he sucks.

Did Testament write better songs than Metallica? NO FUCKING WAY
Good songs have a long shelf life. Everyone in the music business knows that. You can check Billboard's catalog sales and it won't take long to figure out who the greatest metal band of all time is.

Metallica's early stuff had a lot of power and energy. When I hear really passionate and agressive music, I often describe it as "being on fire". It's a pretty rare gift to be "on fire". I don't really know what that means, but I know it when I hear it. Old school Metallica has that fire.

Cheers. :headbang:

metalkingdom said:
Ok. I'm gonna try and do this without getting personal... You're way, way off dude, but I respect you so don't take any offense.

Whoever first said that "everyone is entitled to an opinion" was a loser who had just gotten smashed in a debate. The only opinions that really matter are pertinent opinions, and judging by your statement that Metallica is "overrated", I'd say that your opinion is far from relevant - at least on this matter.

I'll just tell you that I was actually there during the heydays of thrash and speed metal, and I remember quite vividly that Metallica was put on a pedestal by not only us fans, but by the media and ALL of the other bands in the scene (well, except one). There was even a time when Overkill almost got laughed out of metal because one of their guitarists actually tried to impersonate James Hetfield by playing an Explorer, standing just like JH, dressing like him, and moving around on stage like him! But, the fact of the matter is, Metallica built their whole career and reputation based SOLEY on the music and word of mouth - that alone speaks volumes. Metallica's influence was more in the mainstream of 80's metal than the underground. I'm talking about real metal, not the spandex/big hair stuff. I can't even count how many times James/Kirk were on the covers of the various guitar mags, and the tabs for the old songs still appear in new issues from time to time. At some of the guitar stores, they changed the "No Stairway To Heaven" sign to "No Seek And Destroy"....and then "No Enter Sandman" later - that's a sort of honor in itself! Nearly all of the bands at the time were compared to Metallica, and believe it or not, Testament was one of the most widely critisized bands for trying to copy Metallica's sound. I never agreed with that assesment, but that was the not-so-uncommon belief among journalists and many everyday headbangers.

You cannot find anyone that is a bigger Testament fan than I am. I've been listening to them since "Legacy" first came out (which was a long fucking time ago), and I've mastered nearly every single one of their songs on guitar. I also own every single recording that they've ever made - including "Live At Eindhoven" on cassette even. I also have the Testament home video on VHS. By the same token, I'm also the world's biggest fan of pre-"Black" Metallica. I also know every Metallica song ('83-'89) note for note on guitar. There is no way that one can be a true "forged in the 80's" metalhead, and not believe that Metallica's first four albums make them the greatest metal band in history.

How you list RTL and AJFA as being "works of art", but left the groundbreaking "Kill 'Em All" and the YET AGAIN groundbreaking "Master Of Puppets" off of your list of artistic worthiness befuddles me.

Let's do a "past tense" comparison -

Was Chuck Billy (aka Buck Chili) a better vocalist then Hetfield? HELL NO
I love Chuck, but seriously...Hetfield pwned in the 80's.

Was Eric Petersen a better player than Hetfield? HELL NO
EP is the shit (still), but JH's riffs will stand the test of time.

Was Alex Skolnick a better player than Kirk Hammet? Well...
Kirk was duely revered in the 80's and early 90's, but Skolnick is a god!

Was Greg Christian a better bassist than CLIFF FUCKING BURTON!? HELL NO
I don't really need to say anything here, right?

Was Louie Clemente a better drummer than Lars? HELL NO
Sure Lars is annoying and all, but some of his stuff is actually fairly hard to play. And Louie will tell you himself that he sucks.

Did Testament write better songs than Metallica? NO FUCKING WAY
Good songs have a long shelf life. Everyone in the music business knows that. You can check Billboard's catalog sales and it won't take long to figure out who the greatest metal band of all time is.

Metallica's early stuff had a lot of power and energy. When I hear really passionate and agressive music, I often describe it as "being on fire". It's a pretty rare gift to be "on fire". I don't really know what that means, but I know it when I hear it. Old school Metallica has that fire.

Cheers. :headbang:

Personally I think the two bands are radically different, and from a guitar perspective I highly prefer testament. Metallica are a highly influential and important band though, but I really prefer bands like Testament or Exodus to Metallica. Metallica have done a lot of ground breaking shit though.

Too much talking. Can't we all just say, Pre-'Black' album Metallica is great?

...And Justice For All being my favorite album of all time. Been listening to it since I was 4. Not even kidding you.

metalkingdom said:
There is no way that one can be a true "forged in the 80's" metalhead, and not believe that Metallica's first four albums make them the greatest metal band in history.

I was not "forged in the 80's"...therefore, I am perfectly comfortable saying Metallica's first four albums do not make them the greatest metal band in history.

:)

SSJ4SephirothX said:
I have a friend that lives in Portland who moved there from Croatia when he was six.

He taught me "Ti si jedna seksi ovca". I used to say that all of the time to my buddy from Bosnia. Actually, I still say it.

well, shows kinda that he moved out at the age of six, cuz if you said that sentence here, now, everyone would just rofl. "you're one sexy sheep". (you reminded me now of that temporary poster NextLiner :err: ).

try with PICHKA. Messiah Marcolin learned that one pretty well. :tickled: even pichkica. :tickled: :tickled:

the only band shirt i got comments about is from my Aborted - Goremageddon t-shirt

like Ewe discusting :p

oh and when i had that shirt on at Graspop 05' 2 german dudes worshippid me for it whahaha

metalkingdom said:
Ok.

:

I totally 100% agree with you... I remember being a little kid and admiting Metallica, the big band on TV that smashed anything else...
and you know I love Testament..... but I hear ya... absolute true...
if you were there: then you'd remember.
end of story.

Well...I was totally expecting that, so kudos to you for marching out the all encompassing opinions.

I've told you I get the metallica hype. I'm justing saying I like testament better.

Honestly man, anytime someone voices any opinion that you happen to disagree with, you play the "I'm older and ergo know better" card.

I did not live in 80s America, I lived in 80s Scotland...which was a pretty Un-metal place. I've never doubted the insane amount of fan frenzy Metallica created, only that - when I look back - I've never enjoyed Master of Puppets much (except Battery and the title track) and for me, Kill 'Em All does not get my blood pumping.

Lets just leave this here, cause we don't need a huge saga. I get what your saying, consider it taken aboard.

Dead_Lioness said:
I totally 100% agree with you... I remember being a little kid and admiting Metallica, the big band on TV that smashed anything else...
and you know I love Testament..... but I hear ya... absolute true...
if you were there: then you'd remember.
end of story.

Yeah, but what do you know.... you only have 4300 cd's. :loco:

A Trace Of Blood said:
For me it's mostly to meet other metal heads. It is kind of rare, but it definitely has worked in my favor.

Ive met at least a dozen people just from wearing my Enemies hoodie, people would always approach me and compliment me on the hoodie and stand around to chat about music. good stuff

metal kingdom: thank you sooooooo much for backing me on what i ALWAYS say to people about metallica. no i didn't grow up when metallica did (aka in the 80s), but i DID grow up with them. i first heard the black album (newest at the time), digged it, then went to their back catalogue (my brother had all their CDs). i wanted more of their albums because i was bored with the black album. i was only in 6th grade, but i knew what good music was. i started by listening to classical and was raised with it. anyway i heard ride the lighting (the album) and fell in love. it was that first big spark. i didn't feel such a thing since beethoven's 5th at the time. when a band gives that 'spark' or 'fire' it is something that stands the test of time. master of puppets also gave that same sense of enjoyment, but not as much since the spark was already there. justice had a bunch of songs i really enjoyed, but it was the album that grew on me.

testament's drummer sux. testament were good, but not as good as metallica. i still enjoy both bands.

i have metallica in my SN cause they were the band that got me into metal.

if old metallica comes on, i'll probalby listen to it and not skip it. i've listened to them for over 10 years, thats a long time. blind guardian was the next band to give me such a 'spark' then 'nevermore' then 'into eternity' (the latest). these are bands i could, probably, never get tired of. i have some friends that won't listen to anything unless it gives them that 'spark'.

metallica never really had THAT much talent as far as musicianship is concerned, but thats not their highlight, it is about the songwriting and composition. composition is one of the most important things in music for me.

anyway... back on topic:
i wore a blind guardian shirt once and one kid said "is that a harry potter shirt?" and i'm like "no dumbass, it's a metal band called blind guardian" "you like harry potter hahaha, i'm gonna call you harry potter for now on" - that came from a freshman, when i was a junior (damn busride to school).
by the time college came around, i got people from europe saying how awesome it was that i liked metal bands, and then they'd ask me if i liked stratavarious and gamma ray and shit. and i'm like nope... (i would be wearing an iced earth shirt or the BG). at least they understood metal.
one time back in really early HS, i wore a korn shirt and someone i used to be friends with in elementary school came up to me and was like "you like that stuff?" (keep in mind most people liked rap and pop and dave mathews band it isn't like they were saying korn sux (that would have been cool), it was like they were saying hard rock sux). imagine if i wore a nevermore godless endeavor shirt lol.

Dead_Lioness said:
Wow it happened to me so many times.. I can't even count. How come some of
you never had to deal with the idioticy of people????
Lucky bastards! :lol:

"hey you.. whats that on your shirt?"
"so say, is that a Punk band?"
"hey that thing on your shirt is evil looking, are you evil?"
"you like metal???? like Guns N Roses?"
"oh wow ilove your hard core style"
"hey, is that a metal shirt? I used to like metal back in the day, old school, like Cradle..."

oh man, I can't even count.. you just get dumb remarks from people in bars/ parties/ stores/ malls/ etc etc...

I think most of those dumbass comments were just attempts to talk to you :lol: