So what other bands was Michael talking about???

Yeah, you've been introduced to the spam-cult early Valtiel. Apologies for that, haha.

Guys, please try to keep the spamming stuff to one thread. I thought the Opeth PICTURE PAGE thread would've been sufficient for all your spamming needs. It's getting a bit out of hand now.

@Valtiel: I'm with Synergy. Mike most likely meant the gothenburg scene... old In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At the Gates etc. Lunar Strain/Subterranean era In Flames is very much like Orchid in terms of the dual guitar riffage.

Valtiel said:
For anyone who has seen Opeth's Lamentations DVD, you may recall that Mikael shared with us his views on Morningrise in the documentary. In that segment he described how tired he was of the "Morningrise" style, that it was so popular in sweden at that time, that a lot of bands were doing that style. So which bands are these???? I have looked high and low and asked this question on numerous metal boards, but to no avail. I hope I can find some closure here, especially since this is a big prog metal forum and has an entire forum dedicated to Opeth itself...

I find it interesting that you think this is a prog metal forum. This is a forum for all kinds of metal, several bands have their official forums here.

ChrisEmerson said:
I find it interesting that you think this is a prog metal forum. This is a forum for all kinds of metal, several bands have their official forums here.

Well I thought with all the mentions of known melodic bands, prog bands, and the touting of the word prog with zeal, I just thaught it was a prog forum for the most part...

I'm brand-spanking-new, cut me some slack cheif!

So out of all these bands which songs would you say this style is in, I'm trying to cut out the middle man (having to weed out all these songs), also which Morbid Angel songs sound more like the songs off deliverance???

Valtiel said:
So out of all these bands which songs would you say this style is in, I'm trying to cut out the middle man (having to weed out all these songs), also which Morbid Angel songs sound more like the songs off deliverance???

well, its not entirely that simple. its rough inspirations and comparisons on all fronts...not exact parallels. why do you only want the songs that sound like Opeth anyway?

Ok let's make this a bit simpler

Orchid = In Flames - Dreamscape
In Flames - Biosphere

Master's Apprentice = Morbid Angel - Where the Slime Live

End of Deliverance = Every Meshuggah song, every time done better and more tastefully too

NineFeetUnderground said:
well, its not entirely that simple. its rough inspirations and comparisons on all fronts...not exact parallels. why do you only want the songs that sound like Opeth anyway?

Because I was so disapointed that Opeth stopped that style, especially when I was hearing it for the first time and wanted more, I still want more of that style...

I'd start with the first three Morbid Angel albums: Altars of Madness, Blessed are the Sick (very good), and Covenant. I can hear some of Opeth in all three of these albums, though not as much as you might imagine.

every time done better

'cept Haake pales in comparion to Lopez virtuous drumming.

By the way, I would like to add the swedish band Anglagard, which Mikael liked. He definitely borrowed the idea of the "hearable bass" from them.

No there is nothing exactly like Morningrise...he's basically talking about two guitar harmony...dissection, eucharist, edge of sanity..yeah yeah. Check out Katatonia - Jhva Elohem Meth for some pre-Opeth.

I'm not sure what other bands he was refering to (or not..), but I think he means the tremolo picked, layered guitar sound (think the first minute or so of Advent, when both guitars come in) is what was being mass-produced. If you look at Deliverance or BWP, they use more power chords and full chords that use all six strings, instead of your single note with six different guitar layers.