Suicide Silence

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
Just saw their new video and it reminded me again how much I do not like this band at all. Every song I've ever heard has been unimpressive and uninspired; every chance I have ever given them has resulted in the reinforcement of my opinion that they are the pinnacle of terrible scene deathcore bands. What's worse is that their scene-based popularity has spawned countless numbers of rip-off bands of people who have been playing their instruments for less than a year. It really truly is shameful and regretful that bands like this are widely considered "good music", because I have always felt that "good music" is supposed to FIRST be a ripe culmination of passion, thought, talent, writing, and structure, THEN focused into a genre. Bands like Suicide Silence seem to be FIRST a genre, then with few or none of the elements that make up "good music", they are nothing but a scene!

Anyway, I just wanted to get that out, and I know that this is place where there are people who can identify with my sentiment. I guess it just really irritates me that something as soulful as music, can be made into something so soulless.

Dude, I'm sorry, but I totally love this band (and I'm usually a big 'hater' of the 99% of the scene bands.

For me, these guys kind of started the 'death-core' sound that all these myspace bands are now imitating.

And I think the new record is absolutely amazing, production and musically. Tue Madsen did an awesome fucking job.

Tue told me it was all tracked live, with very few overdubs except for the vox which I believe he said were OD'd later. Oh, and NO FUCKING beat detective.

Their myspace fanbase does discredit them to a certain extent, unfortunately.

And oddly enough, their new record probably projects the most 'soul' and
'passion' that I've heard in a looong time on a metal record.

Just IMO, of course. Are there better bands out there? Of course. But for what SS are, I think they're great.

Im a massive fan of the band, they are one of those bands that do what they say on the tin. They are heavy and nothing more, they are perfect to listen to when im in one of those moods.

The new CD is a bit samey in places but i can see past it, and the production is amazingly heavy. Were the drums really not quantized or anything? :err: cos if not then he's one of the tightest drummers ive ever heard.

Just saw their new video and it reminded me again how much I do not like this band at all. Every song I've ever heard has been unimpressive and uninspired; every chance I have ever given them has resulted in the reinforcement of my opinion that they are the pinnacle of terrible scene deathcore bands. What's worse is that their scene-based popularity has spawned countless numbers of rip-off bands of people who have been playing their instruments for less than a year. It really truly is shameful and regretful that bands like this are widely considered "good music", because I have always felt that "good music" is supposed to FIRST be a ripe culmination of passion, thought, talent, writing, and structure, THEN focused into a genre. Bands like Suicide Silence seem to be FIRST a genre, then with few or none of the elements that make up "good music", they are nothing but a scene!

Anyway, I just wanted to get that out, and I know that this is place where there are people who can identify with my sentiment. I guess it just really irritates me that something as soulful as music, can be made into something so soulless.

So.... have you never heard bring me the horizon? lol
:puke:

Im a massive fan of the band, they are one of those bands that do what they say on the tin. They are heavy and nothing more, they are perfect to listen to when im in one of those moods.

The new CD is a bit samey in places but i can see past it, and the production is amazingly heavy. Were the drums really not quantized or anything? :err: cos if not then he's one of the tightest drummers ive ever heard.

According to Tue, no.

But yeah, breathtaking mix IMO. It's so raw and just.. it's hard to explain. Just sounds so full of life. Something very rare these days...

:)

recently picked this CD up.... it doesn't live up to the hype to me, BUT.... that hype was never fair to the band anyway, and it's that "hype" that's the most "scene-generated" aspect of the buzz about this band. is it only me that doesn't feel that every single new band/release has to be to most original amazing thing ever? i quite enjoyed listening to this CD in my car as i did my errands about town yesterday. Yes, the CD... i still buy CD's... several a month usually, though this month i've been on fire.. picked up the new CD's from:

Suicide Silence "The Cleansing" (Madsen mix)
Skeletonwitch "Beyond The Permafrost"
Despised Icon (Sneap mix!)
Municipal Waste (Zeuss mix)
Abigail Williams (our own Ken Soreceron's debut EP)
Yakuza "Transmutations"
Nightwish "Dark Passion Play" (the new singer kills... i actually like this band now!)
Through The Eyes Of The Dead "Malice"
Aborted "Slaughter & Apparatus" (Madsen mix)
Ion Dissonance "Minus The Herd" (Zeuss mix)
Himsa "Summon In Thunder" (Madsen mix)
Hatesphere "Serpent Smiles And Killer Eyes" (Madsen again)
H.I.M. "Venus Doom"
Medeski, Martin, & Wood "End Of The World Party (Just In Case)"
Between The Buried And Me "Colors"

i actually bought several more than this but those are the ones i'm enjoying most currently. to be honest i don't give the proverbial "rat's ass" about "scenes" and i never judge music based on what scene it's tied to or classed with.

Ugghh...HIM = bitch metal. And what do you guys think of Between the Buried and me? Cuz honestly, I know a ton of people who are obsessed with them, but these people have hardcore sympathies and are not very well-acquainted with metal, so they hear incredible originality in the band where I hear a lot of derivativeness. "Colors" seems more promising, though...any thoughts?

Ugghh...HIM = bitch metal.
lol, yeah, god forbid any of us über-metal dudes listen to anything with lyrics about "love".... that'll make ya gay.... or a "bitch" or something.

and listening to Skeletonwitch is makes me wanna wear tight jeans and white high tops, cuz they're old school thrash.
and listening to Abigail Willimans makes me wanna burn a church, cuz they're black metal.
and listening to Medeski, Martin, & Wood makes me wanna drink coffee cuz they're jazzy.

:lol:

well H.I.M. may well be "bitch metal"... but they also have great production and craft their songs very well... and on this album a massively heavy guitar tone on a few songs.

to be honest i don't give the proverbial "rat's ass" about "scenes" and i never judge music based on what scene it's tied to or classed with.

My setiments also hell if britteny spears came out with an album or song that i liked id buy it no questions asked i listen to music for my pleasure i dont let scenes decide which music i listen to i let my ears decide.

what the fuck are you talking about morals?? sorry, i didn't realize i was talking music with a bunch of Pat Robertson's.

Xst.

i dont understand those kids who loves bands like job for a cowboy, between the buried and me and stuff, but they dont like Death Metal Bands, like suffocation and stuff, they dont feel identified with metal, but the bands they listen are metal rip-off bands, for example, people treats JFAC as they are an innovative band, but they not, they are playing old stuff, something that i heard many years ago, maybe they listen this music just for fashion, i really dont understand this

only he who has no barriers, no prejudices, feels no ignorance and is not reluctant can truly enjoy music to its fullest extent.
now that would be an impossible task but you should try to get close :saint:

who cares what stereotypes each "genre" has, as long as the music doesn't harm anyone and you feel happy about it...
get my point?

Ugghh...HIM = bitch metal. And what do you guys think of Between the Buried and me? Cuz honestly, I know a ton of people who are obsessed with them, but these people have hardcore sympathies and are not very well-acquainted with metal, so they hear incredible originality in the band where I hear a lot of derivativeness. "Colors" seems more promising, though...any thoughts?

Someone lent me Colors, i was so damn surprised, it's really well done, incredible musicianship in all fairness to them. I was really expecting some more scene hardcore crap, but this album has such a progressive tinge to it, it's great fun. Just my 2cents anywho...

Someone lent me Colors, i was so damn surprised, it's really well done, incredible musicianship in all fairness to them. I was really expecting some more scene hardcore crap, but this album has such a progressive tinge to it, it's great fun. Just my 2cents anywho...

Dude btbam are sick anyone who says they are scene kids and dont know shit about music needs to get their head examined they are one of the more gifted set of individuals in a band i have come across in a while they can be a bit abrasive at times for my liking but the generaly reward you with some love.

Im realy digging the facless new album as well just picked it up this week they have some nice prog moments too.

Coolness, I'll have to check it out. And just to be clear, I was totally rockin' out to Lionel Richie on my way back from class today, and Depeche Mode's Violator is on my top 20 albums of all time, so I'm far from closed-minded about wimpy music - but goddamn, when I say HIM is bitch metal, I mean it; all his cooing and moaning, and the brain-dead song structures just really don't do it for me. It's odd, cuz I don't mind, say, the aformentioned Lionel Richie, which is just as guilty of poppyness; I suppose it's more the fact that Richie and others are unashamedly pop, whereas HIM's retarded goth imagery in their lyrics just reeks of poser.

Dude btbam are sick anyone who says they are scene kids and dont know shit about music needs to get their head examined they are one of the more gifted set of individuals in a band i have come across in a while they can be a bit abrasive at times for my liking but the generaly reward you with some love.

In all fairness, I remember seeing one of their older videos on Headbanger's Ball; something involving a dude running through an outdoor and then indoor sewer, juxtaposed with the band spotlit in a dark area and the guitarist was wearing a leather jacket. And lordy, the noisecore-ity of it all just knocked me off my feet. Ditto with Mordecai, that song that so very many have hopefully played for me; I just absolutely can't stand hardcore. But lets hear it for progress, and I'd be the last to dispute that they all have talent on their instruments (but as we all know, that doesn't guarantee that their music will be good!)

I actually love this band and i really used to hate the genre of deathcore mostly because i never gave it a chance same as allot of metal dudes don't. I think that SS and Despised Icon are the best in the genre because these bands actually sound killer live where as allot of the bands in that scene are just a polished cd. i ran front of house sound for SS and Despised Icon the other week and they blew me away. I had the shit cranked and dialed in real nice. Both bands sounded just as intense as on their cd... well not as good as Andy and Tue make them sound but you know...

And no there was little to none drum editing on that cd. It wasn't even played to a click. Alex (SS) doesn't play the most complex beats but this dude can really lay it down. A really heavy hard hitter.