Suicide Silence

Coolness, I'll have to check it out. And just to be clear, I was totally rockin' out to Lionel Richie on my way back from class today, and Depeche Mode's Violator is on my top 20 albums of all time, so I'm far from closed-minded about wimpy music - but goddamn, when I say HIM is bitch metal, I mean it; all his cooing and moaning, and the brain-dead song structures just really don't do it for me. It's odd, cuz I don't mind, say, the aformentioned Lionel Richie, which is just as guilty of poppyness; I suppose it's more the fact that Richie and others are unashamedly pop, whereas HIM's retarded goth imagery in their lyrics just reeks of poser.
oh yeah... Depech Mode totally has no "cooing or moaning" or, god forbid, "goth imagery" or simple song structures. give me a damned break. you are expressing your entirely subjective personal opinion as though it were empirical fact. it's not.

btw, i love Violator too.

Oh loosen up dude, I actually took great care NOT to express my opinion as fact, evidenced by such statements as "just really doesn't do it for me" and "I don't mind Richie...whereas HIM...just reeks of poser (the implication there being reeks to me of poser, though leaving that out was just a slip on my part). We all have opinions, on that we can both agree, but it's a two-way street - everyone is entitled to his or her own, and thus, don't get all bent outta shape if I disagree with yours. I will admit that "bitch metal" was unnecessarily provocative, though, so I apologize for that.

r)
Skeletonwitch "Beyond The Permafrost"
Nightwish "Dark Passion Play" (the new singer kills... i actually like this band now!)

i actually bought several more than this but those are the ones i'm enjoying most currently. to be honest i don't give the proverbial "rat's ass" about "scenes" and i never judge music based on what scene it's tied to or classed with.
The new Nightwish is AWESOME. Also Skeleton Witch is one of my new favorite Prosthetic bands, wait....I mean ONLY favorite.

Oh loosen up dude, I actually took great care NOT to express my opinion as fact, evidenced by such statements as "just really doesn't do it for me" and "I don't mind Richie...whereas HIM...just reeks of poser (the implication there being reeks to me of poser, though leaving that out was just a slip on my part). We all have opinions, on that we can both agree, but it's a two-way street - everyone is entitled to his or her own, and thus, don't get all bent outta shape if I disagree with yours. I will admit that "bitch metal" was unnecessarily provocative, though, so I apologize for that.
yeah.... right... i wasn't the one going off on something.. you were.... about H.I.M. ... and the omission of the "to me" bits was key here, and much more of a factor in my replies than anything else. characterizing that omission as a "little siip" and then lambasting me to "loosen up" comes off as more than just a tad disingenuous. Save for that "little siip" i never would have even replied to you at all... but since you did make that slip, your comments read as declarations of universally obvious facts, and not as opinions... so berating me with a lecture on "opinion" is silly. the only thing sillier would be continuing with this line of debate any further.

speaking of Violator.. i just recently picked up the new digipak re-release... killer package.

and yeah, Suicide Silence..... cool band. Extraordinary or innovative?.. not in the big picture, no.... but do they really need to be? "scene" status doesn't bear or deserve consideration in a true musical discussion.

yeah.... right... i wasn't the one going off on something.. you were.... about H.I.M. ... and the omission of the "to me" bits was key here, and much more of a factor in my replies than anything else. characterizing that omission as a "little siip" and then lambasting me to "loosen up" comes off as more than just a tad disingenuous. Save for that "little siip" i never would have even replied to you at all... but since you did make that slip, your comments read as declarations of universally obvious facts, and not as opinions... so berating me with a lecture on "opinion" is silly. the only thing sillier would be continuing with this line of debate any further.

Whatevs man...sorry I offended.

These guys have, from what I can gather, one Album and a 5 song EP out but yet have 18 merch designs. That's a bit much isn't it? It's like one T-Shirt per song!
well i don't care about band t-shirts at all.. and anyway it certainly doesn't factor into a discussion about music.... but if you must go there, it sounds like the usual law of capitalism... supply and demand. kids want the shirts.. they supply them. so what? does it really matter if they market one design or fifty? if they all sell then i'd say "no, it's not too many".

but really... who cares? would you take anyone seriously for saying, "i don't like that band's music because they have too many t-shirt designs".

lol... i mean.. i'm not these guy's "champion".... i think they are pretty cool musically, nothing more and nothing less... but is this not a MUSIC forum?? what if i said i didn't like your band's CD because you don't have enough t-shirt designs?

music, folks... music. fuck genre/scene tagging.. fuck merchandise... fuck anything not related to the music. that's all i'm saying.

:saint:

but really... who cares? would you take anyone seriously for saying, "i don't like that band's music because they have too many t-shirt designs".

I wasn't saying that I don't like the band. The sound pretty cool to me. Hell I only heard of them this morning because of this thread. I'm just saying that thats a hell of a lot of shirts for just one band with only an Album and an EP out.

These guys have, from what I can gather, one Album and a 5 song EP out but yet have 18 merch designs. That's a bit much isn't it? It's like one T-Shirt per song!

I have toured with these guys and trust me, they need all those designs because the kids buy them all! so why not make the money? you know they will probably barely make a penny off their cd's being in stores so you gotta make the flow on merch. :kickass:

i dont understand those kids who loves bands like job for a cowboy, between the buried and me and stuff, but they dont like Death Metal Bands, like suffocation and stuff, they dont feel identified with metal, but the bands they listen are metal rip-off bands, for example, people treats JFAC as they are an innovative band, but they not, they are playing old stuff, something that i heard many years ago, maybe they listen this music just for fashion, i really dont understand this

and yeah, Suicide Silence..... cool band. Extraordinary or innovative?.. not in the big picture, no.... but do they really need to be? "scene" status doesn't bear or deserve consideration in a true musical discussion.

These two dudes are speaking the truth. Alot of older, better bands deserve attention instead of newcomers like these. Can't really say anything bout BTBAM, i almost haven't heard anything by them, but JFAC and SS are getting more praise than they're worthy of.

i dont understand those kids who loves bands like job for a cowboy, between the buried and me and stuff, but they dont like Death Metal Bands, like suffocation and stuff, they dont feel identified with metal, but the bands they listen are metal rip-off bands, for example, people treats JFAC as they are an innovative band, but they not, they are playing old stuff, something that i heard many years ago, maybe they listen this music just for fashion, i really dont understand this

Totally true. My brain function stops when I talk to the quote/unquote scene kids about bands like Nile, Morbid Angel, Exhumed, Carcass, etc.. They say things like, "Man, that shit sucks." or "All that sounds the same." What the fuck. All most of the bands they listen to do is pig squeal, blast beat, break down, sweep pick. Ugh! If their gonna like the wine-cooler version of the heavy stuff, at least know where it came from.

Totally true. My brain function stops when I talk to the quote/unquote scene kids about bands like Nile, Morbid Angel, Exhumed, Carcass, etc.. They say things like, "Man, that shit sucks." or "All that sounds the same." What the fuck. All most of the bands they listen to do is pig squeal, blast beat, break down, sweep pick. Ugh! If their gonna like the wine-cooler version of the heavy stuff, at least know where it came from.

Yeah dude, that´s what im talking about, really don´t understand it, they dont see themselfs as metalheads (or guys who listen to metal bands), they look metal as a totally diferent thing and it´s not, come on, those bands influences are clearly metal, they don´t invented nothing, they don´t invented growls and blast-beats, just taking something and changed it a bit, they just dont let their hairs grown or cut it, wear fashion clothes, imitate some hardcore movements, i dont even know if i must call those bands Metal Bands, because their fans dont call them as metal, i like some of those bands, but just a few are aporting something.

I consider myself as Metalhead, but im not closed minded, i listen and play a lot of diferent styles, i am fan of well played music, call it technical, well ejecuted, well written, or just nice sounding music, metal or not. but for me those bands are metal, please kids stop pretending that you are listening to the must innovative, fresh, original and cool music of all times, ignoring their metal roots and want to take apart the genre and consider it new.

I like music for music's sake, but to discuss the "scene" aspect...

Seems like a lot of the kids who were full on to metalcore have moved into the JFAC type bands and the deathcore stuff...Which I think is one of the reasons the "scene" tag and subsequent lameness of most of the fans comes from. The problems "metal dudes" had with metalcore fans/scenekids/bandwagoning bands is just spilling over into the heavier subgenre.

I've never been a big deathcore fan, even for bands from yesteryear that were just called 'metal bands'. I have an affinity for structured songs, which most metal heads seem to despise. But meh, I've never really fit in with the mentality anyway so no need to start now.

This has turned out to be an interesting thread. Looking back at my original post though, I guess that I didn't mean for it to be so much about bashing on Suicide Silence in particular...I think this post says it well:

Alot of older, better bands deserve attention instead of newcomers like these...JFAC and SS are getting more praise than they're worthy of.

I can't really pin my finger on exactly one thing that irritates me about the abundance of overrated death-core bands these days... I entirely agree with James Murphy's saying that "'scene' status doesn't bear or deserve consideration in a true musical discussion", but at the same time, a lot of these "scene" bands just don't impress me all that much. It's not that they have to be doing something really new or innovative, but I'm talking about basic fundamental songwriting and structure taking the back seat to pig squeals and breakdowns. Death-core bands are ultimately responsible for their own shortcomings, and then the scene kids who don't analyze music at a deeper level than "Are there pig squeals and breakdowns?" further compound the problem...and then scene kids get inspired to start their own bands who sound exactly the same and it just gets worse and worse, like making photocopies of photocopies.