Suicide Silence

I can't really pin my finger on exactly one thing that irritates me about the abundance of overrated death-core bands these days... I entirely agree with James Murphy's saying that "'scene' status doesn't bear or deserve consideration in a true musical discussion", but at the same time, a lot of these "scene" bands just don't impress me all that much. It's not that they have to be doing something really new or innovative, but I'm talking about basic fundamental songwriting and structure taking the back seat to pig squeals and breakdowns. Death-core bands are ultimately responsible for their own shortcomings, and then the scene kids who don't analyze music at a deeper level than "Are there pig squeals and breakdowns?" further compound the problem...and then scene kids get inspired to start their own bands who sound exactly the same and it just gets worse and worse, like making photocopies of photocopies.

Totally agree.

Just saw their new video and it reminded me again how much I do not like this band at all. Every song I've ever heard has been unimpressive and uninspired; every chance I have ever given them has resulted in the reinforcement of my opinion that they are the pinnacle of terrible scene deathcore bands. What's worse is that their scene-based popularity has spawned countless numbers of rip-off bands of people who have been playing their instruments for less than a year. It really truly is shameful and regretful that bands like this are widely considered "good music", because I have always felt that "good music" is supposed to FIRST be a ripe culmination of passion, thought, talent, writing, and structure, THEN focused into a genre. Bands like Suicide Silence seem to be FIRST a genre, then with few or none of the elements that make up "good music", they are nothing but a scene!

Anyway, I just wanted to get that out, and I know that this is place where there are people who can identify with my sentiment. I guess it just really irritates me that something as soulful as music, can be made into something so soulless.

you will get this wrong but I just think the same about your band to be true.

It's just the "underground mainstream". It's the same with mainstream pop bands that write songs just to sell and make money...

...well that's how i see the "scene" i guess. It's just finding what's getting kids attention, If you know how to sell a product and look good doing it, then you can easily make lots of fans/money...lol but I'm sure you all know that

Like Aaron Smith said:
Aaron Smith said:
...who have been playing their instruments for less than a year.
This is true, just like the other 4 guys in a 5 man boy-band that aren't good enough to do lead so they just do the choreography and backing "aaah's".

this was not on a personal base because I play just in such a band. it doesn't mean they're bad at any means, I mean I even like that kind of music. I just give everyone a chance. Mainstream or not. This was the reason I said "you will get me wrong". Maybe I should have gone a bit more into detail when posting my comment. sorry aaron, didn't mean to be personal or something. I mean it.

hate me, kill me, cut off my legs.

ps. we're just trying to sound as much as job for a cowboy or black dahlia or something....:) so... we're not inventing the metal in a new form!

you will get this wrong but I just think the same about your band to be true.

Haha, well that came out of nowhere.

It's all good dude, I'm not upset. But are you saying that in every way I've criticized death-core, you are criticizing my band as well? Because...

-I'm confident you will find interesting structure in the songs I write
-I have been playing the guitar for much longer than one year
-Although my band is not (and has never claimed to be) incrediby unique, I also don't really see many "scene" people attracted to that type of music

Anyway I'm not so much trying to make a defense, as I am just trying to figure out what point you're trying to make, especially after coming back and saying "I actually like that kind of music". If you have a valid point to make I want to hear it!

This is a very interesting thread. I heard a Suicide Silence song at my friend's house this weekend and i thought i was pretty good, not mind blowing, but better than all the other shit. 90% of the music i mix live for the club i work at is this type of music. These kids pack the place and don't listen to anything that can't karate kick to. If a band doesn't have a breakdown every song people are outside. what i don't get is they have loud guitars, lots of double kicks going and death vocals but cry if you call them metal. I have a friend who loves JFOC and BTBAM and hates Iron Maiden because in his opinion they're "glam" (WTF, HUH?) to him if you do anyhting that isn't a growl it's "glam". And i just realised in typing this, why the hell are band names so long we have to abbreviate them just to fit them in a senetence?

But personally i really do hate all those posers with screaming vocals, fast guitars, blast beats, and sweep arpeggios, and they get all worked up if you call them metal. i'm going to start calling them Diet-metal. just like Diet Coke, it tries to look and taste like the real thing but it's not, instead it's made with artificial substitues...

Hmm, seems here that allot of what you people have a problem with is more so the fans of these bands then the actual deathcore bands themselves. I think allot of the people that play in these types of bands DO like "real" metal. Just because they have a fan base which is mostly young kids uneducated in metal doesn't mean that the dudes in these bands are also metally retarded. I can think of tons of deathcore bands that have dudes that can really play their asses off and spend allot of time with their instruments so its not all just a bunch of jackasses just pig squeeling and blasterbating. It's just a different form of metal guys thats allll it is.

Some metal heads like power metal, some like death metal, some like black metal, some like straight up American metal, thrash, doom, etc etc. It's all just different shit and some people like apples and some like oranges and some like both.

As far as the fashion bullshit goes its the same as any other style of metal. allot of sub genres of metal have certain clothing/hair stereotypes that go along with them and i think this is no different.

It's sorta like tool for me... good band but the fans are retarded. This is just a different form of retardation.

And for the record I am not just some big deathcore fan by any means i only like maybe 3 of these bands to be honest but as someone who has been around since the start of this myspace deathcore craze thing I can say I get it now when i didn't used it at all.

Soooo, I saw Suicide Silence tonight for the first time, on tour with Unearth. There were a few pretty cool brutal parts that all sounded about the same, and I enjoyed the drummer, but the guitar playing was pretty weak and I really didn't enjoy the vocalist very much.

Soooo, I saw Suicide Silence tonight for the first time, on tour with Unearth. There were a few pretty cool brutal parts that all sounded about the same, and I enjoyed the drummer, but the guitar playing was pretty weak and I really didn't enjoy the vocalist very much.

I'd have to concur, but they do put on a pretty good show, I gotta say.

Didn't Darkest Hour own ass?

Darkest Hour always puts on a solid show, but I get kind of bored of their songs actually. August Burns Red is always spot-on, too. I love that drummer.

Am I right when I read that all of these deathcore bands have only been playing their instruments for a year!?

How can they play that fast when they've just started!?

I must know!

Am I right when I read that all of these deathcore bands have only been playing their instruments for a year!?

How can they play that fast when they've just started!?

I must know!
Cant tell if your being sarcastic or not sooooo no one in any of those bands has being playing guitar for a year.

Any guitarist in any band has probaly being playing for many years by the time you first hear him/her let alone a guitarist in an extreme metal band.

It takes years to be able to reach that level on guitar despite what some people will tell you. Find a metal guitarist who has being playing a year and get him to record an all shall perish song you will have your answer.

Cant tell if your being sarcastic or not sooooo no one in any of those bands has being playing guitar for a year.

Any guitarist in any band has probaly being playing for many years by the time you first hear him/her let alone a guitarist in an extreme metal band.

It takes years to be able to reach that level on guitar despite what some people will tell you. Find a metal guitarist who has being playing a year and get him to record an all shall perish song you will have your answer.

I know.:)

I was being sarcastic in regards to some of the things said. I really hate when people talk trash on musicians because they don't like their style of music. You can't call someone talentless just because they use a certain song structure or do breakdowns or sound similar to someone else or whatever. The same thing goes for pop music, I'm not talking about just deathcore or whatever. I don't like pop music 98% of the time, but I can't call them talentless. (Yes I know some can only sound good with studio tricks and lip syncing, those would fit the talentless tag.)

On another note, scene kids are really annoying. Anyone who listens to certain music or does anything because it is part of the scene and is "cool" drives me crazy. It's their choice and that's fine with me, but if I happen to like one of those bands then I have to hear about them being scene or yada yada.

So that was a useless rant. I'm hungry.

I just hate breakdowns, scene stigma or no

Welcome to Massachusetts!. In massachusetts, EVERY show with any sort of metal band has at least three or four bands that all mysteriously have the same breakdowns with pile up parts. It's cool the first 6000 times you hear it but then it gets ...bleh. Anyway I'm I the only who has never heard of Suicde Silence apart from the fact that there at every Metalfest around here? Never ACTUALLY heard them though.

Mass Represent! Haha. I know what you mean though, tons of metalcore around here. Actually, a lot of the heavyweights so it makes sense. (Killswitch, Unearth, Shadows Fall, All That Remains etc)

Anyway, on topic, I like deathcore. It's cool by me. Not my favorite sub-genre or anything but some bands like Despised Icon, and All Shall Perish, just fucking slay. Suicide Silence seems to kind of fall in the middle of the pack for me, but not bad by any means. I listen to their CD occasionally. Cool Mix.