The best metal album of all time!

1987-crest-of-a-knave.jpg

:erk: You're obviously a Tull fan based on your av and name, but that has got to be the WORST record of theirs ever. It has nothing to do with it winning the grammy or anything. It's just so artificial and cheap. This is all my opinion; but they released Thick as a Brick, Minstrel in the Gallery, and the folk trilogy, and then Anderson and Barre shat on their entire career with Crest of a Knave. It's awful.

Valley of the Damned anyone?

This was a joke. I'm sure of it. Even if it was amazing content, and not just good content, the fact that they probably hired studio musicians to record the majority of it kind of kills it don't you think? I even saw a Betcha Can't Play This in which the guitarist from Dragonforce attempted to amaze us with something so technical and amazing that he himself butchered it.

Apparently they can be very shitty live, sometimes. Perhaps it depends on how much they've had to drink. I've heard other people say they're amazing; but they can definitely play those instruments.

:erk: You're obviously a Tull fan based on your av and name, but that has got to be the WORST record of theirs ever. It has nothing to do with it winning the grammy or anything. It's just so artificial and cheap. This is all my opinion; but they released Thick as a Brick, Minstrel in the Gallery, and the folk trilogy, and then Anderson and Barre shat on their entire career with Crest of a Knave. It's awful.

I did just post that because of the grammy thing, but I love that album. It was exactly what was needed after the dire Under Wraps and all the electronic shit they had been doing. "Farm On The Freeway", and "Said She Was A Dancer" are two of the best Tull tracks ever. :kickass:

Yeah, but that album is so electronic too! They use a drum machine on some tracks. It's just too 80s, slick and polished for me. The synth at the beginning of "Steel Monkey" just kills me.

I take it you still enjoy their material up through Stormwatch (with exceptions here and there)?

Apparently they can be very shitty live, sometimes. Perhaps it depends on how much they've had to drink. I've heard other people say they're amazing; but they can definitely play those instruments.

Ok update, I kept trying to find that video, and it turns out that it was fake from the start, I assume they were pretending to suck. Every time I think I find the original video it has been deleted, has no one here seen it?

:lol: @ dragonforce being the best at anything

they're the justin bieber of metal! horribly bland and poppish, can't play/sing live, and fairly new but already have thousands of blind fans who know nothing of well written music.

Yeah, but that album is so electronic too! They use a drum machine on some tracks. It's just too 80s, slick and polished for me. The synth at the beginning of "Steel Monkey" just kills me.

I take it you still enjoy their material up through Stormwatch (with exceptions here and there)?

I like all their albums, apart from Under Wraps. I even really like Dot Com, there's some good rocking tracks on that. Minstrel and Heavy Horses are probably my favourites of theirs though.

Mines probably either Stand Up, Thick as a Brick or Minstrel.

Leaning towards Stand Up to be honest.

Stand Up's great!
Of the two concept albums, I actually prefer Passion Play, I think that's just a fucking masterpiece (if you remove the silly middle section. Actually, I did that with Thick too, the middle section there really annoys me, much better edited out!)

I've heard them play shitty live and I've also heard them sound amazing. They CAN play their own instruments. Valley of the Damned from a guitar standpoint is actually pretty straight-forward compared to their newer material and yes they are well known for being heavy drinkers, their mic stands actually have drink holders for beer lol. It's funny because I've heard alot of musicians say they play better drunk.